In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lighting questiion -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in General Discussion
I see and have observed several new neighbors getting sodium vapor (?) Lights installed by the Power Co.
I have been wanting to call and arrange to have one installed on my property, on an existing pole. Will help me avoid the bears, around 4:30 am, when I head out to my Vehicles.

Who pays for the power usage? Does it run to a meter? It does not appear so.

Comments

• Options
    Edspdog1Edspdog1 Member Posts: 225
    edited November -1
    Flat rate per month, use to be 15.00. We are are on the same co-op. Mtn. Electric.
  • Options
    Edspdog1Edspdog1 Member Posts: 225
    edited November -1
    Flat rate per month, use to be 15.00. We are are on the same co-op. Mtn. Electric.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out LED's????
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we have one on a pole two houses down, the neighborhood used to pay for it, one neighbor had it on his bill,was $7-8 dollars a month, rest of neighbors gave him $20-25 a year to split cost, he is in his 80's now and just ask me a few months ago if I thought the light was still needed. almost all the others neighbors have either passed or moved in the last 30 years, I am in my mothers house, and I just figured they quit paying it years ago, well he was gonna quit paying it and was afraid it would make the neighbors mad if the power company removed it. I offered him some back due money and told him I didn't know he was still paying, he said forget it, he was just gone to stop paying for it.
    that was about 6 months ago it is still there and on all the time, the dust to dawn eye has gone bad and it burns constant, I am sure it will burn out one of these days and just wonder if the new neighbors will call county or someone to try and get it fixed. I have a led dust to dawn on my garage that lights my driveway at night and it is only two houses from the big light so it doesn't really matter if it works or not. I would just ask one of your neighbors what the cost is as your state may differ on cost/responsiblity for it
    '
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Edspdog1 wrote:

Thanks Brother.

We need to get together for a meal, at a local (Boone?) Restaurant.

Murphy's in Boone? Monday is Wing night. :D PM me.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who pays for the power usage

You will and it will be a flat fee. I had one and it was $12 a month but the power company kept raising the price each year. When it hit $16 I quit. The offered to turn it on a few months ago at $13 with a long lasting LED light I passed on it.

I have montion sensor lights on all 4 corners of the house and the barn. They are LED, very bright and work great.
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    Who pays for the power usage

You will and it will be a flat fee. I had one and it was $12 a month but the power company kept raising the price each year. When it hit $16 I quit. The offered to turn it on a few months ago at $13 with a long lasting LED light I passed on it.

I have montion sensor lights on all 4 corners of the house and the barn. They are LED, very bright and work great.

I used to have a fairly elaborate property sensor alert/notification system/set up.

Was zoned. One, two, three, four beeps etc. Let me know where you were, and how close to the house you were. Gave up on it due to all the animals at night. Got me up, ad nauseum.

Lights may not be so bad.

$15/mo. May not be too bad, through Mtn. Electric. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We live waaaay out in the boonies and it is dark here. We cannot see any other houses.
    The wife of the fellow that built our house said she would not live here because of that. So he had a light installed down by the gate.

It defines our home and property at night. Cost is very reasonable.

My wife does not hesitate to let the dog out at night. We regularly see deer, bear, raccoons, etc.

Our light does not run from out meter and appears to be a flat charge each month. Twice, we have had bulb failure in 10 years and AppPoCo responded promptly.

Trail cam pic in early morn. Light/pole is out of frame to the left. Pic of light pole is too boring to post.
    xwUibIP.jpg
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hillbille wrote:
    we have one on a pole two houses down, the neighborhood used to pay for it, one neighbor had it on his bill,was $7-8 dollars a month, rest of neighbors gave him $20-25 a year to split cost,

That's how it was in the neighborhood I grew up in, with the same result.
    Wonder if it's still there!
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My two cents worth is that you should just install a light that you can turn on when you want it on. Maybe something on a timer that you can use as needed rather than something that's always on, an LED of some type hooked through an electronic timer switch like you see controlling a fart fan.
    I like being outside at night and looking up at the stars. Having a big ol' light out there all the time would wash that out.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dont know about yours but mine with night eyes are on the out side of the main switch and meter....so it is metered just like your house, shops, etc ???and i keep a couple extra night eyes on hand....and you can turn them in a direction that works best...