In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Age disconnect

BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in General Discussion
From the neck up I am at most 25 years old. Below that I am at least 64 and some days feel 84. The chainsaw thread got me thinking this morning about a 50 foot cedar tree next to the drive that needed to come down. 25 year old part says its a simple cut it down, limb it, cut to manageable lengths and haul to the brush pile for a future bonfire. Stupid 64 year old part went along

A cedar of that size has a s%#t load of limbs. Soft wood so cuts easy but a lot to haul to the pile. Got it done but now the 25 year old part has lost the argument and the 64 year old part went on strike for the rest of the day. Tomorrow the 64 year old parts will be stiff and sore and the 25 year old part will want to go out and do it again. Some day maybe the neck up part will realize it really ain't 25 any more but I'm not holding my breath.

Oh yeah almost forgot both parts give the Echo 18" chainsaw high marks. Recommended by a tree service pro because he had a lot of problems lately with his 16 Stihl saws and none with his 4 Echos. Bought it 3 years ago, have used it quite a bit and with only normal maintenance it has worked like a charm. Bob

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,383 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Yep, I fully understand and experience that age differential.
  • Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel your pain brother. :D:lol::);)
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,382 ******
    edited November -1
    Knowing your limitations can be a very hard thing, especially if you are a thick headed, always self sufficient, Heinz 57 Limy\Kraut\with a slight touch of Irish in your makeup!! That's me alright! :D:o

So stubborn I sometimes think that PAIN is just another job I have to master!
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My mind also tells me lies . The body soon shows to error of my ways . Was a time when I could change out transmissions in a truck with no jack needed . But as they say that was in another country in a land far far away
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cedar Makes great fence posts so cut the trunk into 7' lengths stack and dry for several years. Split into the size diameter posts you want first. Or leave whole for good quality corner posts!!
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    know the feeling too well
    regrettable I have starting to come to terms with what I think I can do based on younger me, and reality of what my worn old body will take my mind still remembers picking up 200 or 300 pounds and carrying it was easy ( well almost easy but doable ) , working non stop for hours dealing with the really hot or cold days not a problem , ,,reality now , anything over 100 pounds is a challenge and better be a one time shot for the day . taking breaks way more often well really almost like taking a work break during my rest period . and above average hot or cold days I just cant take them
    getting old sucks but beats the alternative,
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you REALLY want a wake up call, add something like my recent hip replacement to the scenario.
    I was already exceeding the "40 year old want to with a 70 year old can do" when I made the utterly foolish decision to have my right hip replaced. Now I have the frustration of a 40 year old want to coupled with a can't do anything capability.
    The Doctor told me what I could do at 6 weeks. OK, it's been 6 weeks and now I'm told I have to wait another 6 weeks to reach that level of activity and what I expected to do at 6 weeks may take up to 6 months.
    CRAP, if I'd known this, i wouldn't have had the surgery. Six weeks is bad enough but I don't HAVE 6 months to throw away.