In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why is the effort required to

penguin1penguin1 Member Posts: 97
edited September 2019 in Ask the Experts
cock the hammer on an autoloader more than a revolver? It appears so to me with an High Power and a Model 29.

Comments

• Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    basically different types ,sizes, weights, geometry, of the springs used and how they are utilized among other things too numerous to get into.
  • Options
    rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    Many variables come into play, as the previous poster noted. One that comes to mind, specifically. As far as 9 mm is concerned, is the primer hardness of 9 mm military ammo.

The first Hi Power, I owned back in the 70's. Was a surplus, West German, Grenz Schutz, pistol in new condition. I was really pissed, that I was having misfires, with Swede surplus military ammo. Didn't know the ammo, was specifically made for open bolt "K" guns. And a heavier hammer spring would have solved my problems.

This is one of the reasons, that a 9 mm auto requires a heavier hammer spring.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps the size and shape of the hammer as well as the type of spring being put under tension. Revolver has longer hammer and better leverage. Also the revolver has a longer spring that takes up its load more gradually instead of a shorter stiffer spring that you have to compress. Bob
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Geometry can be part of the issue. Moment arm/leverage plus spring type (coil vs. flat leaf). Racking the slide back on High Standard HDM is much easier if I cock the hammer first.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The answer is simple: revolvers were originally designed to be thumb cocked and semi-autos weren't. DUH???