In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old style Redfield Scope Rings

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in Ask the Experts
I've got 2 or 3 sets of the 4-screw rings with buggered screw heads. As near as I can determine, the thread is 5-40, the threaded length is .350", the head diameter is .171", and it's a slotted fillister head. Any ideas where I could find some?

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    brownells sells screw packs to replenish their assortments try pt # 080050540
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This might help. I have made lots of screw mods/repairs. http://www.castbullet.com/misc/544.htm

I just saw 8 perhaps proper screws (stated correct but didn't list the actual size) on e bay for $24 + shipping
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Charliemeyer! That was quite a nice walk-through of what is required to come up with the screws I'd need. The cost alone for the materials and tools is high--not to mention the time/work required. While I really like the old 4-screw Redfield rings, the moral of the story is: Throw the old rings away and buy a new(er) set--You will save money.

The rings I have with the buggered screws are a set with an extension front ring that I want to use on a short Burris scope for a Remington model Seven. I'll rob the good screws off another standard set and toss the donor rings (reluctantly and sadly!).

Thanks again.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the amount of screw head damage. Sometimes you can peen the metal back in place and dress the slot a little wider, others need the slot welded closed and then cut a new slot followed with a hot salts or even a cold blue treatment.

The parts guys at gunshows might have the proper screw if you ask.