In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

JC Higgins Model 51 info?

ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
edited September 2019 in Ask the Experts
I just acquired a JC Higgins Model 51 in .30-06. Bore has some pitting & bolt face a few small pits in face. It appears to be a Mauser Action by FN Belgium. Serial #22883 with last 3 digits electro-penciled on bolt body. Drilled and tapped for peep sight which are .614 inch on center right side rear. Front rcvr. ring holes are .849 inch on center & rear holes are .490 inch on center.
It had Holden iron sighter base/rings but rear was lower and they had cardboard shim under scope in rear? Rifle has 22 inch bbl. with iron sights. Red rubber pad is hard tac now. Nice walnut checkered stock. Bore is soaking with Hoppes and once green is all out I'll switch to Kroil & JB bore paste.
Wondered what are the proper scope base #'s for this action/rcvr.? What peep would work? Date of mfg.? Is this a large ring '98 Commercial FN action? Will check out groups with iron sights & then decide what to do?
Thank You,
ENBLOC

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "Is this a large ring '98 Commercial FN action"............short answer = yes , F/N commercial action. Weaver and Leopold make scope bases to fit. check with brownells or midway
  • Options
    John StimsonJohn Stimson Member Posts: 26
    edited November -1
    The Sears J. C. Higgins model 51 was the deluxe version of the Model 50. It was made with a FN mauser action and High Standard made the rest. The bore was chrome
    plated.

Later there was a model 51-L which used a Husqvarna action in place of the FN action

Manufactured in the early to late 1950's I am away from my research materials and may be able to do better.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I received Email back from Leupold technical support they no longer make bases for this model Rifle.
    ENBLOC
  • Options
    rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    ENBLOC wrote:
    I received Email back from Leupold technical support they no longer make bases for this model Rifle.
    ENBLOC

As Mike noted. The customer service reps at Brownell's, are very knowledgeable. Because the rifle, is old enough to collect Social Security. There is always the chance, that they don't have any modern bases that will work.

You have to either buy blank base(s). And have them drilled, by a knowledgeable gun smith or machinist. Or keep a eye on flea bay, hoping the needed base(s) will eventually show up.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    weaver bases # 45 & 46
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are excellent rifles as is or used for a full blown custom.
    weaver bases # 45 & 46

These are the rails I've used for years:

https://www.kenfarrell.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_60&product_id=183

But if you need a larger selection:

https://www.ebay.com/b/Fn-Mauser-In-Hunting-Scope-Mounts-Accessories/52510/bn_7022189078

Or:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362580541

Best.
  • Options
    John StimsonJohn Stimson Member Posts: 26
    edited November -1
    The Sears J. C. Higgins Model 51 was in the Sears Catalogs from the Fall Winter 1955 through the Spring Summer Catalog of 1959. The Fall Winter catalog of 1959 saw the introduction of the Model 51-L. The Model 51-L was replaces by the Sears version of the Winchester Model 70 about 1964.

Most Sears models made by High Standard had acceptance date codes applied to the barrels after the proof and test firing at the factory beginning in December 1956. Does this rifle have a two letter acceptance date code?

For 1957 High Standard planned to manufacture 5,000 Model 50 rifles and 5,000 Model 51 Rifles.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I appreciate all this help!
    No 2 letter date code on bbl. Rcvr. has letter "S" then Belgian proof mark P.V. with monkey or lion on top? This is Nitro Proof mark & animal on top means "for export" used 1924-1968.
    I have on order from Brownells Weaver bases #45 & #46 & medium height Burris Zee 1" Rings. I have a Leupold VariXII 3x9. I polished/buffed the bolt & handle to level of a new dime. Glass bed the action to stock.
    If barrel was supposed to be chrome lined then why the pitting? Getting somewhat better now with kroil & JB bore paste. Will continue to scrub. Rifling still present. Will try out handloads of IMR 4895 (48 grains) under 150 grain bullet to group with iron sights, then dial in scope later.
    Barrel markings are J.B. Higgins Model 51, Sears Roebuck and Co., 583.100. CAL. 30-06
    Best,
    ENBLOC
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the bore. Cast bullets over sized and lubed with bore paste can be a nice trick. Some folks use toothpaste.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Help! I received the scope bases #45 rear & #46 front. Holes lined up & mounted to receiver. However when putting the rings onto base(s) they do not line up. Using my Brownell's sleeved scope alignment rods I'm about 1/4 inch off on the height. It appears the rear is higher than the front, or front is lower than the rear?
    ENBLOC
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder if your rifle is built on a small ring action. Look at the left side of the action where the side rail joins the receiver ring. If it's a large ring, there will be a pronounced step there: If a small ring, there is no step--the rail blends straight into the receiver ring. I know Sears acquired both large and small ring actioned rifles. If your rifle is a small ring, you need a #55 rear base.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    51's were all large ring FN actions. I have seen a factory scope mount that had a strange looking two piece front mount. I agree with Mike, it should be the Weaver 45 & 46.
    Enbloc, can you post some pics?
This discussion has been closed.