In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AMT Lightning 22 Pistol

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in Ask the Experts
I just bought two AMT Lightning pistols - actually, 1 complete pistol and a 2nd naked "upper" which is also the firearm part of the assembly. The complete pistol has adjustable sights on a 6" bbl while the upper alone has fixed and with an 8" bull barrel. Each is cut for tip-off scope mounts. I intend to use the 6" with irons and the 8" with a scope. Assuming the uppers aren't a complete PITA to switch out. Which brings me to the "how much like a Ruger MKII is the AMT and what parts interchange?"

I'm hoping Ruger magazines, grips and that aftermarket takedown lever that makes the Ruger easy to re-assemble are interchangeable. Anyone know for certain?

Any info on what parts interchange is helpful. If a Ruger grip assembly will accept the upper, or the bolt of a Ruger drop into the AMT upper - would be making a complete 2nd gun out of the 8" alot easier.

Comments

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    Owned one, a couple of years back. 5" Bull barrel, with with adjustable sights. From my research, it was supposedly a direct clone of the Ruger pistols. So much so, that Bill Ruger forced Harry Sanford. Than the owner of AMT, to cease production. Under the threat of of legal action.

Although these Lightning pistols, were only made for a couple of years in the mid 80's. Substantial number were manufactured. Little over 25,00 as I recall? The ones most in demand by collectors. Are the 1000 Baby Automags, made specifically for the gun wholesaler in Prescott AZ. And the few made with long non standard barrels. Like the one you have, with a 8" barrel. But some that were even longer. Although I have never seen one. Sanford actually made a few with 12" or longer barrels.

Didn't keep mine long. Although in new condition. I started having, fail to fire problems with it. Never had any problems with all the original Ruger .22's. I owned over the years. So I cut it loose. Don't have any patience, with guns that don't work.
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several AMT Lightning pistols of various barrel lengths up to 10". One has an AMT upper on a Ruger lower. AMT did make several Lighting pistols with a 22" barrel (maybe 12 - 20 depending on article read) and have seen two sold here on Gunbroker.
    Every one I've have owned has functioned perfectly, never a hickup.
    The AMT Lightning will accept the Ruger magazines. As for the interchange of other parts, I do not know as sold my only owned Ruger .22 pistol years ago (around 1977); although purchased new it was very inaccurate. I have not found that evident with the AMT Lightning pistols.
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:
    I have several AMT Lightning pistols of various barrel lengths up to 10". One has an AMT upper on a Ruger lower. AMT did make several Lighting pistols with a 22" barrel (maybe 12 - 20 depending on article read) and have seen two sold here on Gunbroker.
    Every one I've have owned has functioned perfectly, never a hickup.

The AMT Lightning will accept the Ruger magazines. As for the interchange of other parts, I do not know as sold my only owned Ruger .22 pistol years ago (around 1977); although purchased new it was very inaccurate. I have not found that evident with the AMT Lightning pistols.

Thank you, good to know re the Ruger lower and magazines.

The 8" HB "upper" cost me $100.00. If I can get a Ruger "lower" for a good price and the Ruger bolt drops into the AMT upper, that's great. They're definitely less expensive and easier to find than AMT parts.

I don't anticipate any problems reassembling, I know that can be a challenge with these pistols. I have a fair number of Colt Woodsman pistols and they use a similar procedure with the hammer strut and mainspring housing unit being lined up.
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    FYI .... AMT firearms were produced in a number of locations as Irwindale CA, Covena CA, etc. and finally in Sturgis SD before the bank repossession in 2002.

Upon the bank repossession, the remaining inventory/machining and rights were acquired by Crusader Gun Company -AMT/High Standard located in Houston TX, now defunct.

Quote: "Current trademark manufactured beginning late 2004 by Crusader Gun Company, Inc., located in Houston, TX. Previous trademark manufactured by Galena Industries Inc. located in Sturgis, SD, 1999-Jan., 2001. Previously located in Irwindale, CA until 1998. From 1998-2001, all AMTs manufactured by Galena Industries Inc. had a lifetime warranty, which is now void. Also see Irwindale Arms, Inc. and Auto-Mag for older, discontinued models.
    Galena Industries phased out the use of the AMT name, but continued to use the individual model names until 2001.
    During 2005, Crusader Gun Company Inc. acquired the previous tooling of AMT - Auto Mag., and reintroduced the following models: Auto Mag II, Auto Mag III, AutoMag IV, the Back Up .380, and the Back Up .45. Please contact the company directly for more information, including availability and pricing on these re-released models.

BACKUP PISTOL - .22 LR (disc. 1987), .357 Sig. (new 1996), .380 ACP, .38 Super (new 1995), 9mm Para. (new 1995), .40 S&W (new 1995), .400 Cor-Bon (new 1997), or .45 ACP (new 1995) cal., semi-auto, choice of traditional double action (disc. 1992) or double action only (new 1992), 2 1/2 (.22 LR or .380 ACP) or 3 in. barrel, stainless steel, Lexan grips, 5-shot (.380 ACP or .40 S&W), 6-shot, or 8-shot (.22 LR) mag., 18 (.380 ACP only) or 23 oz. Older disc. walnut grip models are worth a slight premium. In 1992, AMT reengineered this model and removed all external levers, production resumed again late 2004."

https://www.genitron.com/Handgun-Manufacturer/AMT

I was told the remaining parts inventory was sold to Numrich Gun Parts but that is not verified.
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used Ruger pistol parts in the AMT 22 pistols, direct fit.

The AMT barrel were usually very accurate when fed the correct ammo. Some of the pistols prefer the CCI mini mag ammo for good auto function. They are little more contrary as compared to the Ruger pistols.

I use the Ruger pistols parts list for the AMT 22's. (AMT 22 cal pistols were a direct clone of the Ruger pistol.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okie743 wrote:
    I've used Ruger pistol parts in the AMT 22 pistols, direct fit.

The AMT barrel were usually very accurate when fed the correct ammo. Some of the pistols prefer the CCI mini mag ammo for good auto function. They are little more contrary as compared to the Ruger pistols.

I use the Ruger pistols parts list for the AMT 22's. (AMT 22 cal pistols were a direct clone of the Ruger pistol.

Thanks. I pick up the pistol tomorrow thanks to CA silly 10 day wait. You'd think a 1918 BAR in the closet would exempt the wait for me buying a 22 ..... :roll:

I've picked up a few mags, the Majestic takedown lever & hammer, Volquartsen slide release and a few other odds & ends. Grips. I have a few Woodsman pistols and they're a bit more of a challenge to reassemble than the Ruger/AMT type, so I figure that won't be the problem it seems for some.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Picked up the pistol and the uppers interchange. Mags, hammer, extended mag release, grips, all interchange too. Really can't use the Majestic take down lever as the adjustable rear sight extends over the top hole in the frame. Great trigger pull. Cleaned up really nice.

Thanks to all. The 8" heavy bbl will wear a Weaver 2.5 to 8X handgun scope.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dfletcher wrote:
    Picked up the pistol and the uppers interchange. Mags, hammer, extended mag release, grips, all interchange too. Really can't use the Majestic take down lever as the adjustable rear sight extends over the top hole in the frame. Great trigger pull. Cleaned up really nice.

Some differences from the Ruger Mk series, may help others -

The rear sight dovetail cut is different from the standard Ruger. Ruger adjustable can be made to fit, but will take some hand filing to work. Also, if you use an adjustable sight the rear top hole in the upper will be covered, meaning the Majestic takedown lever fix won't work because you can't unscrew it. Finally, to remove the trigger on the AMT you must remove a small "e clip" on the right hand side from the trigger pivot pin. I bought some shims, a Volquartsen slide catch and can't use them because I can't get to that darn clip. Think tweezers to remove, even a needle nose pliers is too wide.

Thanks to all. The 8" heavy bbl will wear a Weaver 2.5 to 8X handgun scope.