In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sharps 1863 3 band rifle?

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
edited October 2019 in Ask the Experts
My boss asked me to 'investigate' this rifle. It looks correct and all there, the bore is well defined and 'shootable'. what can you tell me about it and approx. pricing (also should I remove the black paint ;-) ). the markings are the same as some on the auction side.
87YnrbLl.jpg
3IDDKenl.jpg
mHMPQt3l.jpg
ibe1XUbl.jpg378090_591fa065486b90165481a71eff743f4a.jpg

Comments

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sharps Model 1863 Rifle and Carbine
    Made by Sharps Rifle Mfg. Co. Hartford Connecticut
    Total production approx. 65,000 single band carbines and 5,000 rifles
    Generally as 1859 pattern guns except...

These revised new model guns were clearly marked " MODEL 1863" on the barrel. The changes in architecture and features were comparatively minor- the dismantling screw in the breechblock was improved and the rear sight strengthened in attachment appointments. The 1863 type sights can be identified by there robust bedding block - which replaced the standing block and flimsy "spring" bed of earlier family patterns. Furniture was invariably well formed and finished iron - but the patch box was abandoned early in the spring of 1864.

.52 caliber combustible cartridge clambering fired by a caplock - action is as the 1851 type - the breech block was raised behind the chamber by a lever under the breech (single shot breech loader from the American Civil War period - a dropping block mechanism that relied on the breech block which slid downward within a sturdy frame. Conventional style side hammer caplock.

Famously sold out of service at the end of the civil war the Navy still retained 2351 rifles in January 1866 many of which were subsequently converted fo one piece r self contained metallic cased cartridges - though the US Army was still selling intact unaltered caplock carbines at auction as late as 1891...

30" medium profile round non tapered standard pattern barrel with 6 groove right hand concentric twist rifling - sights graduated to 700 yds???

1065 FPS with a 450 grain bullet - socket bayonet lug acceptance appointments.

Stirrup and swivel between the mainspring and the tumbler - breechblock altered to move vertically...

Improved gas check ring (like the 10th attempt to get this right - absent platinum sealing rings for lords sake) patented by Lawrence in December 1859 and in production / use for at lest a year before production shifted to the new model as we know it - properly marked and incorporating all the constituent element changes...

Rear sight as noted above was new and improved - addition of a cut off in the peller- primer mechanism allowed standard caps to be used as an expedient under exigent circumstances.

Note 2 band .56 caliber special full stocked naval infantry / marine rifles (900 examples known)

Naval rifles had two brass bands and a short bar and tenon at the muzzle to accept a special sword bayonet with stippled heavy brass handle...

Possibly this will prove helpful in some small manner.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks Mike, now to get it shooting ;-)
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot mine years ago with a .530 round ball. Worked good enough for close range plinking.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Depending on when it was painted and what type of paint was used it may have had a preservative effect - of if the flip of the coin does not go your way could have ruined things (unlikely - but be careful removing the paint...

I would dismount the furniture from the wood and break it down / disassemble it as far as possible and perform an initial forensic infection...

Using what I have provided above as a starting point I would nail down the exact make and model and type to establish some history and track it's current market value...

I would want to see how the bore looks - is it all numbers matching - maybe fire some caps and possibly a blank or smoke display charge to establish function and to blow out something dust and cobwebs...

Museum special or hung in a bar or restaurant??? Bannermans special or did Bubba get at it???

Remember there was a period were amongst collectors paint finishes were acceptable on entry level examples especially place holders to be moved on as a better example was acquired...

And when black and white photos in reference books and catalogs would conceal the paint and might actually produce some acceptable pics...

What's the back story - I've got to heat more details - what's the nut / how much is he asking???

What's your primary interest or avenue of exploration???

Yes clean it up and shoot it even if hour going to flip it for a profit and pass it on - when are you likely to get another opportunity???

Dixie gun works for supplies and data and reproductions and related items and ephemera???

Do you think I nailed it or is there far for depth of scope and breadth involved amongst hardcore collectors - inspectors markings and proofs and witness marks - unit indicators - on metal or wood - concealed under parts or on the flip side or obverse...

I would have a hell of a fun time with it - you need to buy the book and the bayonet and repro leather and brass accoutrements...

John Brown's raid???

https://youtu.be/1ggj_uPEXiU

https://youtu.be/NeF5cxJxPDA

https://youtu.be/-KRu_qcugVk

https://youtu.be/lbj6O7E0Yas

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "What's your primary interest or avenue of exploration???".............right now just preliminary history & value for the owner. Initial minor cleaning and function check, possibly more detailed per the owners direction.

just a little 'back story'; I'm a retired gunsmith that got a 'part time' job at a newer gun shop were we spend the winter months. While the owner is well versed in business he doesn't have much 'depth' in the gun world. This is the 1st 'non-cartridge' sharps I've got to 'play' with.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mike - thanks greatly for posting the pics - asking the questions - and letting us have a peek into your corner of the world at this little historic gem.

If there is anything else I can do to assist you further please don't hesitate to ask - conversely I would be interested in hearing about what you do with it and to it - how it ultimately is disposed of...

Also please let me know what I got wrong to I can better assist others going forward.

I am at yours disposal and intrigued.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/824876337

Interesting while there are a plethora of carbines and of rifles with patchboxes from the basic 1863 sharps family - your particular model seems to be rare and not often encountered.

I will continue to dabble and explore and search the usual hiding places for some additional information including pricing.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If only we had a winning lotto ticket...

I have a thing for over the top basket case rescues...

I am just now thinking how the (as far as I can determine) somewhat uncommon sharps variant would look after 6 months and $6,000.00 in the hands of Doug turnbull...

Case hardened receiver (bone charcoal style) and wonderful blue and chrome and brass appointments...

Even restored to its military configuration plus some minor embellishments it would make for a spectacular shooter unless the bore is gone...

The question becomes to leave it as it is which I believe to be rather rare / few examples left or to do a cartridge conversion and double set trigger and fancy for and aft sights...

I think keeping it as close to the day it was born is the way to go.

God I wonder what the inside of the lockplate and bore and hidden obverse surfaces look like or if the wood would clean up...

I need to pull out my flaydermans.

Heck if we were neighbors I would do the initial work for free just to get my hands on it.

I miss the gunshop years.

Mike