In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

LeMat Revolver

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,371 ******
edited October 2019 in General Discussion
Any of y'all know of a modern day LeMat style revolver that shoots smokeless powder/modern cartridges? The closest I can think of would be the Judge and it's copycats, but I don't know of one that has the two barrels like the LeMat. I was thinking that style gun would make a great bedside gun.

Maybe something chambered in 357/410 to keep the size down. But the 45/410 makes sense too.

Thoughts?
Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    The .410 barrel in the center would make it an Any Other Weapon under federal law. Even if a small ring of rifling were added to the muzzle of the .410 barrel in order to remove it from the NFA (a few manufacturers have done this), if it remains capable of chambering a .410 shell it would still be considered a short shotgun in several states.
  • rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    I owned one of the original S,S Judges. That I bought used. Over and above the ignition problems, due to crappy Taurus QC. It's roll, as a bedside personal protection handgun, was problematical. Only the birdshot loads opened up, at close rang. The buck loads, would still have to be aimed at a specific target. At inside the room distances.

IMHO, you would be better off with one of the new KelTec CP 33's rimfires. Put a Laser on it, for any o dark 30 scenario. And it would be 10 times better, than any Judge that holds only 5 rounds. Mine loves Aguila Interceptors. Which is one of their hotter loads. 40 grain bullet @ 1200 FPS, from a 5 1/2" barrel.

I've got about 500 rounds, through my recently acquired CP 33. Only 1 fail to feed so far. That was with shooting CCI Stingers.The only fly in the ointment. Is that the mags, are very fussy and ammo sensitive. Prefer round nose ammo, with a over all length around .980.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My local has one for sale. A bit pricey for used. I do like them and Harris on "West World" has one so it's cool. Joe (the local) was saying someone might be making a conversion cylinder. That would be cool.

Howdah's also cool. Like Douglas in "The Ghost and the Darkness".
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF the barrel is rifled, and can shoot 45 Colt/ .410 shotshell, that on its own does NOT make an NFA firearm.

Bump the size up any larger than 32 g (which is .50 caliber) you MAY have an NFA firearm. You just passed the magical half inch. Any larger, be prepared to show a "sporting purpose"- otherwise the ATF says it is a "Destructive Device", or possibly an AOW.

The original (and repro) Lemats get around this by not being firearms. Since they use loose powder and ball, and are caplocks, they are legally Antique Firearms, not subject to the NFA.