In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I am a seeing eye person now

Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
Our oldest turned 13 on July 4th this year and is now almost 100% blind.

We brought him into our lives 5 weeks old.

He has given us so much and is such a tough little guy.

At least the wife won't be moving furniture for a while.

Edit:

I tried to copy a picture, but received a notice that the 'board attachment quota has been reached'.

Does this mean we cannot post photographs anymore?
Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would probably be in bad taste to ask if this is a case of the blind leading the blind ;) What caused the blindness? Age, cataracts, genetics? Bob
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BobJudy wrote:
    It would probably be in bad taste to ask if this is a case of the blind leading the blind ;) What caused the blindness? Age, cataracts, genetics? Bob

:)

Cataracts, and the fact that he is a Yorkie, and like most suffers from the inbreeding and other genetic manipulations that have screwed up the breed for 10s of generations.

He is too frail for surgery at this point. The little guy has had Addison's Disease for almost 8 years, and the daily steroid therapy has taken its toll. Probably will only be with us for a few more months, but right now he is not in any pain, and remains a very happy dog. All six pounds of him.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    You are fortunate in having a 6# boss for 13 years. Unconditional devotion is something to be cherished. Bob
    edited December 2019
    In the last photo, Brian is attacking a small deer that is jumping into the yard.

He bit it on the nose and it immediately turned tail and left.

I am going to miss the little bugger when he is gone.

Really not a fan of the photobucket stamp, but it is what it is.

Brad Steele
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My sympathies to you and your little rascal :cry: , we once had a yard dog that lived 21 yrs and the only time he went to the Vet was for his yearly Rabies shots, he ate anything not moving, table scraps & road-kill were his favorites, had been shot a few times, run over by vehicles a few times, snake bit countless times, just a tough ole bird...he died peacefully on our/his porch......I miss him too. My brother recently spent + $8 K on a damn cat... :lol:

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• HessianHessian Member Posts: 248
    edited November -1
    I've got a sixteen year old Jack Russel that is mostly blind from cataracts and deaf in one ear. She can hear you calling her but invariable heads off in the wrong direction. She has the house pretty much memorized, though she does miscount the steps on occasion, I am always a little afraid she will break a leg. Her nose still works and she still finds and kills Mice.

I know it isn't really funny but I laugh when she cuts the corner short going around the oven heading for her food bowl (at a run) and I hear a loud bong when she hits the sheet metal side of the oven. She rarely walks anywhere like most Terriers everything is at a run. I can't say being blind has slowed her down much.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don,....sorry to hear about Brian. I know how much you love the little guy.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Addison's disease. Damn, John Kennedy had Addison's disease.
    edited November -1
    Hessian wrote:
    I've got a sixteen year old Jack Russel that is mostly blind from cataracts and deaf in one ear. She can hear you calling her but invariable heads off in the wrong direction. She has the house pretty much memorized, though she does miscount the steps on occasion, I am always a little afraid she will break a leg. Her nose still works and she still finds and kills Mice.

I know it isn't really funny but I laugh when she cuts the corner short going around the oven heading for her food bowl (at a run) and I hear a loud bong when she hits the sheet metal side of the oven. She rarely walks anywhere like most Terriers everything is at a run. I can't say being blind has slowed her down much.

Brian is slowed down by other things, but when the neighbor dog barks, he is off at a dead run to protect the home front, yelling at the top of his lungs.

He gets confused on occasion. Came upon him a few days ago trapped between a door and a wall. The door was opened more than is normal, and his usual path trapped him. I heard a few soft 'thunks' as he worked his way down the length of the door towards freedom.

As BobJudy noted, we have been blessed with 13 years of devotion from him and a few months of catering to him to ensure he exits this world both comfortable and happy is a small price to pay.

Brad Steele
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are doing a kind and noble thing, for a kind and noble reason.

It has been said :

"What you do for the least of me/mine, you do for me."
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's just hard to believe there are people who humanize animals to such an extent. Maybe I'm a bit intolerant of others who might THINK they are making a great difference in an animal's life, I can honestly say the animal would be far better off to be put down graciously. You do as you please but I won't let such comments go unchallenged.
    Since you brought up the subject of "seeing eye", I'll give you something to consider. In mid-November my family is hosting a deer hunt for a blind Veteran. It's all on us at this point w/o any outside support. Although there are several hunting opportunities offered to mobility challenged Veterans, this is the only one offered to a blind Veteran that I'm aware of. If you feel the urge to get real about "seeing eye" don't waste it on an animal, do some good for a PERSON who lost their sight in the service of OUR country.
  • HessianHessian Member Posts: 248
    edited November -1
    For me, it is about quality of life, if a dog is seriously depressed, in pain or disabled to the point of helplessness it is time to let go and put them down.

I've had a dog by me most all of my life except for a few years. Some dogs are more special than others, if you've lived with many you know what I'm saying. As long as people and dogs have been living together, the affinity almost has to be in the genes.

The people who lack the affinity never quite get it. Women abort 600.000 fetuses a year. some people have stronger nurturing instincts than others. If the nurturing instinct carries over onto pets IMO it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The last time I lost an old friend (my hunting dog) I cried, it came from someplace deeper than reason.

Happiness-Is.jpg
    edited November -1
    Mobuck wrote:
    It's just hard to believe there are people who humanize animals to such an extent. Maybe I'm a bit intolerant of others who might THINK they are making a great difference in an animal's life, I can honestly say the animal would be far better off to be put down graciously. You do as you please but I won't let such comments go unchallenged.
    Since you brought up the subject of "seeing eye", I'll give you something to consider. In mid-November my family is hosting a deer hunt for a blind Veteran. It's all on us at this point w/o any outside support. Although there are several hunting opportunities offered to mobility challenged Veterans, this is the only one offered to a blind Veteran that I'm aware of. If you feel the urge to get real about "seeing eye" don't waste it on an animal, do some good for a PERSON who lost their sight in the service of OUR country.

While I applaud your efforts on behalf of the blind veteran and encourage others to do so the rest of your comment is uncalled for. Some of us have/had pets that were better than a lot of people. It was stated the dog in question was not in pain and happy, so who are you to pronounce a death sentence. Unlike you the pet owners are familiar with the dogs condition and will be able to judge the proper time if euthanasia is necessary.

I will defend your right to have an opinion but also reserve the right to call out an uninformed callous opinion. Bob
    edited November -1
    Mobuck wrote:

The little guy's time will come soon enough.

This is not an either/or situation, and your 'challenge' seems odd to me.

To each his own, I guess. Enjoy your hunt.

Brad Steele
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Mobuck wrote:

Virtually everything I have ever seen this member say over the years is 'odd', as well as almost always negative.
    Another one of those fellows that you have to wonder why they even come here.

Oh well.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ea1gUrA.jpg

Losing A Pet Hurts More Than People Think
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry the end is near Don. The wife and I just had to put our 13 year old little girl down last Saturday.. Prayers and well wishes for the future.
    edited November -1
    Marc1301 wrote:
    Mobuck wrote:

Virtually everything I have ever seen this member say over the years is 'odd', as well as almost always negative.

Oh well.

Agreed Sir.

I was going to post a comment, but yours so eloquently summed it up. Mine was not needed.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the support, my day is complete.
    edited November -1
    We are having Brian put down tomorrow.

He is having difficulty navigating now, and yesterday we saw some distress when he got himself lost.

He has been a good friend. Was a big comfort to me when I was going through my health issues.

Godspeed my little friend.

You will be missed.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    We are having Brian put down tomorrow.

He is having difficulty navigating now, and yesterday we saw some distress when he got himself lost.

He has been a good friend. Was a big comfort to me when I was going through my health issues.

Godspeed my little friend.

You will be missed.

So sorry to hear this Don.

I know my heart broke, putting down my last rescue. (And I only had him 4-5 years.)

My heart goes out to you.
  • 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marc1301 wrote:

Oh well.

Agreed Sir.

I was going to post a comment, but yours so eloquently summed it up. Mine was not needed.
    Agreed Ken, What more could I say?
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    Sad news, Don. They are with us for far too short a time.