In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

44 mag rifle

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in General Discussion
Seems I bought one. Oh well, I'm sure I'll find a use for it. I was thinking about this for the nephew in law but I've already got a slug barrel ordered for his Mossberg. I've actually wanted one of these for awhile. I may leave it open sighted and keep it in the truck with an ammo sleeve on it. Funny that I bought one when my 2 hunting revolvers are in .454 casull and .357 mag. Maybe a new revolver in the future.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/841267108

Comments

• Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,199 ******
    edited November -1
    Enjoy.
    I have an older Marlin, a Ruger 77/44 and a Ruger #3 in .44 mag
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 1963 vintage Ruger 44 carbine....

Made the mistake of letting the then-girlfriend-now-wife shoot it about 20 years ago, for some reason she thinks it is hers.

Coworker got it at an estate sale - he was after the reloading equipment. He really wanted my signed by Gary Gygax DM Guide, I wanted the 44. Good trade.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    factoid: .444 Marlin is a .44 Magnum drawn out one inch
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a matched pair of Win 94 Trappers(44 & 357 mag). Not sure if I ever shot the 357 but I did shoot the 44 and even killed a deer or two with it. IIRC the recoil was stiff and the trajectory was unimpressive. As a "truck gun", I'd much rather haul a 17HMR or even a 22lr and save both my shoulder and ammo cost.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You keep buying guns and your going to be gun poor ;)
    RLTW

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a Ruger .44mag Carbine. (Just bought a Ruger SuperBlackhawk, [not too long ago] to go along with it.)

I have two NEF's, an Utra Rifle with a grey/green/brown laminated stock, bull barrel, ported, Harris bipod, nice scope, in .30-.06.

(And) A .17HMR, black synthetic stock like yours, bull barrel, target crown, Harris bipod and a 4X Nikon scope.

I like them both.

I believe you will like yours.

The Seller of your Hastings barreled 1100, and my 20ga. Pump, seems nice - and on his game, don't you think? Good communication.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I own a Ruger .44mag Carbine. (Just bought a Ruger SuperBlackhawk, [not too long ago] to go along with it.)

I have two NEF's, an Utra Rifle with a grey/green/brown laminated stock, bull barrel, ported, Harris bipod, nice scope, in .30-.06.

(And) A .17HMR, black synthetic stock like yours, bull barrel, target crown, Harris bipod and a 4X Nikon scope.

I like them both.

I believe you will like yours.

The Seller of your Hastings barreled 1100, and my 20ga. Pump, seems nice - and on his game, don't you think? Good communication.

Yes, good informative e-mail right off of the bat. Seems like a stand up guy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Scout do you handload? If so I bet you could tune a load to that gun that would really bowl them over.

With the longer barrel I think I would look for a load with slow burning powder and a heavy Jacketed bullet(Like used in the 444 marlin) and real hard cast and Gas Checked lead bullet like the LBT 300gr LFN bullets.

I was a handgun hunter for years and I hunted with a TC super 14 in 44 mag. I liked 4227 and a hard cast 255gr with a GC in the Super 14" T/C. I shot the same bullet with H110 in my 6.5" 629.

25.0 grains of 4227 would give me 1650fps in a 14" barrel. That is screaming so you need a bullet that will hold together especially at 50yds and under.
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    Scout do you handload? If so I bet you could tune a load to that gun that would really bowl them over.

With the longer barrel I think I would look for a load with slow burning powder and a heavy Jacketed bullet(Like used in the 444 marlin) and real hard cast and Gas Checked lead bullet like the LBT 300gr LFN bullets.

I was a handgun hunter for years and I hunted with a TC super 14 in 44 mag. I liked 4227 and a hard cast 255gr with a GC in the Super 14" T/C. I shot the same bullet with H110 in my 6.5" 629.

25.0 grains of 4227 would give me 1650fps in a 14" barrel. That is screaming so you need a bullet that will hold together especially at 50yds and under.

I have a press, several sets of dies and quite a bit of brass for different cartridges but haven't started loading. Years ago I used to load 38spc and 35 rem with a lee hand loader, I still have the 35 remington set. I need to make a dedicated space and set up for loading. Right now I have a half dozen life time supplies of deer hunting ammo if i change guns when needed. Actually you could add elk, moose, and brown bear in there as well. Why i bought this rifle sure doesn't have to do with need, just wanted something different to full with and it will be useful considering where I live and the people I help get started.

I figured the 44 mag would need to be loaded for if I want to get out of it what the rifle length is good for because factory ammo is fairly limited in terms of velocity and power.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ruger #3 44 mag ....now 444 marlin...handy dandy...need a squeegee buttpad
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    OK :

I bought a Ruger Carbine .44 mag. a few years back : Nice cond. : Not sure as of value or practical use ??? SN# 933924 :

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

I bought a Ruger Carbine .44 mag. a few years back : Nice cond. : Not sure as of value or practical use ???

Thanks !!!

Excellent home defense weapon. (If nothing else.)

They will go up in value. (Steadily.)

Check out Marlin Camp 9's and Camp 45's. Crazy prices. Not unusual to see $1K - $1200 easy, on a Camp 45. (In nice condition.) Ruger .44mag Carbines are currently under valued. That will change.

I look at most of my purchases, as an investment.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a old Rossi Puma 44 magnum copy of the Winchester 92. Its an accurate and very smooth rifle. I have never hunted with it just messed around and plinked and shot rocks and stuff.

I wanted one of the Ruger 96's 44 mag. The are like a big 10/22 only with a lever kind of like a Savage 99. They took a detachable magazine(I like it better than the shotgun style of the older Rugers) that held 4 rounds for 5 with on in the pipe.

A really cool gun, I don't think they are made anymore and they sell for a premium.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/838077639
    RLTW

• Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I purchased a brand new 3 screw Ruger revolver in .44 magnum in the early 70's from a dealer.

Maybe 25/30 years ago purchased a Ruger .44 Magnum rifle (first style) with a scope as a companion firearm, just because.

I fired maybe 10 rounds thru it and the last time I fired it, took down a deer at about 30 years or so.

Both have been residing in my gun safe for all of 20 years.

Both are pretty 8-)

:D
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love my Winchester 94 big loop in .44 Mag. It?s really fun shooting .44 Special in it.
  • Options
    rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    I owned a Browning, Winchester 92 clone. In 44 Mag, years ago. Definitely wasn't a fun plinking gun, with factory ammo. For general tin can type plinking, 44 Special ammo would be your best bet. The ammo companies download 44 Special, so It will be lawyer proof. Unfortunately its way expensive, not much cheaper than 44 mag. Best to start reloading, if you intend to keep the rifle and do any amount of shooting with it.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a Marlin, Ruger 77/44 and a Rem. 788. Only reason is I hand gun hunted deer for many years with a Ruger Blackhawk and had all the reloading equip. ;)