In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tooling down the road

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2019 in General Discussion
I drove down to Wilmington NC yesterday, went by and saw Ricci, got some shrimp and cooked them last night.

But tooling down the road on I40 I saw a bunch of deer that had been hit by vehicles, the weird thing was most were bucks at least they could have been bucks. I went by at least 4 who had their heads chopped off, I assume they had a nice rack. The spike bucks were not touched.

Why would someone stop and cut the head off a road killed deer? Are they going to mount it and tell a big story or do people sell the horns to the chinese to make their pecker stiff?
RLTW

Comments

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    I drove down to Wilmington NC yesterday, went by and saw Ricci, got some shrimp and cooked them last night.

What kind of shrimp is Ricci selling? Do you know if he's got any catfish?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:

What kind of shrimp is Ricci selling? Do you know if he's got any catfish?

He wasn't selling shrimp but there is a shack off of Gordon Road that sells shrimp right off the boat ;)

No idea if they have catfish. In fact I don't think I have ever bought a catfish, I live 1 mile from a huge lake(Falls Lake) and if I have a hankering for catfish I either go catch one or go to a joint and order one off the menu :lol:
    RLTW

• Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don?t know about down in nort cackilacky, but up here in Iowa, where there aren?t any shrimp, but we do have big bucks.

People stop and either saw the skull plate off, or take the whole head.

People will actually buy huge racks, so there?s a market for them.

Mostly, it?s probably so they can lie about the big buck they got.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,666 ******
    edited November -1
    Was it a shrimp boat or just a really small boat?
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Antler can be used to make things. Knife handles. Lights. Decorators in high end cabins pay big for the real thing.

And it must be the rut for sure
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:
    Was it a shrimp boat or just a really small boat?

One of these

2c9063fefbbed9f19ae1f1ad6a4adab7.jpg
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    Antler can be used to make things. Knife handles. Lights. Decorators in high end cabins pay big for the real thing.

Oh yea the rut is full on.

I was thinking the same thing about the antlers but why chop the whole head off?
    RLTW

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing about the antlers but why chop the whole head off?

May want the antlers on a boiled down skull, that and it's just quicker to cut off the whole head than to saw out the antlers.

There are a lot of use for antlers, buttons, tool handles, cabinet handles etc. etc. I gave a set to one of my neighbors to use in his leather work. He heats a piece and uses it to shape leather and something to do with finishes.
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Powdered antler is used as an aphrodisiac.

Do you remember, exactly, where you saw a dead antlered buck? I need exact milepost.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bustedknee wrote:
    Powdered antler is used as an aphrodisiac.

Do you remember, exactly, where you saw a dead antlered buck? We need milepost.

Just drive down I40 between Medow NC and Wilmington NC.......Both sides, there is one every 5 miles.
    RLTW

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,666 ******
    edited November -1
    Dig a hole in some soft wet ground. Bury head up to the antler base. Cover with a tub or something to keep the varmits out.
    Dig it up next Spring and Voila! skull is 99% clean. Bugs and bacteria do the job.
    You may have to scrape a little and hang it in the hot sun for a while.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:
    Dig a hole in some soft wet ground. Bury head up to the antler base. Cover with a tub or something to keep the varmits out.
    Dig it up next Spring and Voila! skull is 99% clean. Bugs and bacteria do the job.

+1

I would add, bury it on or around an ant hill.
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:

Don?t know about anywhere else, but here, it?s illegal to take any part of a road killed critter unless you get a tag from the authorities.

Being it?s illegal, it?s a lot faster to lop the head off and go, than it is to cut the antlers off.

YMMV
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,376 ******
    edited November -1
    Everybody knows NC is full of samurai road warriors! :lol: Akkkk suki chop :o
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:

Just toss it on a fire ant bed (uncovered), it'll be clean in 24/36 hrs. with no tissue left, that's how I clean Rattlesnake skins tacked on light poles (inside facing out) with a mound of ants at the bottom, comes out clean as a sheet of notebook paper, one line of ants will be going up one side for tissue and one line going down the other side with tissue.... amazing to watch them work. ;)

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably taken for one of those convertible deer I heard about on the old forums. Hey, if you can take a bigger hole and drill it smaller, why can't you take a taxidermied deer head and grow the antlers larger, right?

:lol:
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its called pre-season scouting.

If you see lots of dead deer along the highway - stop and locate a spot to hunt.

If you don't see any road-killed deer - keep driving.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SCOUT5 wrote:
    Sam06 wrote:

May want the antlers on a boiled down skull, that and it's just quicker to cut off the whole head than to saw out the antlers.

There are a lot of use for antlers, buttons, tool handles, cabinet handles etc. etc. I gave a set to one of my neighbors to use in his leather work. He heats a piece and uses it to shape leather and something to do with finishes.
    My co-worker specializes in european mounts, so that's possible. He makes alot of money this time of year!
  • Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Yep, my opinion, at least their not going to waste.