In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Got me a semi portable house updated pic

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in General Discussion
PXRqb5kl.jpg
vFA2gGQl.jpg

So I bought 16 acres back in 2000, and then added 9.6 more in 2001 adjacent to the original. Been clearing, installing well septic Etc. along with smaller out buildings over the years.

Finally wife and I found a decent used double wide for a cash price we could afford and had it moved on the lot yesterday. Now to get all the utilities connected and finish the driveway and yard. Wife found the house from a young guy who drives for UPS he kept the place in pretty good shape. I plan to add a metal roof, front and back porches and connect a transfer switch for a Generac 22KW.

The machine they used to drive it up the driveway is pretty awesome house cat or platypus something like that. Here are a few pics.

7JmUgFil.jpg not much clearance on that driveway LOL

kPFVjGAl.jpg
This is the Skirting the way they had it when we bought it.

UgJn7z8l.jpg
Kat is happy coming together

ySjC3Pfl.jpg Start of driveway from main road

h3weAy1l.jpg After making the turn in I can pee and no one can see me :)

iqmdk6Zl.jpg
View from end of driveway, driveway goes through the woods a little ways to the main road.

Fvyf3e3l.jpg

h98mHkMl.jpg

vl93W7al.jpg

Zw72s4Cl.jpg
Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One looking almost exactly like that, was moved on to a wooded lot not too far from me. (Actually one of the closest houses to me.) 1/10 mi. away.

They did the same things you are talking about. After it was put together, the bottom was metal seamed in. They then metal roofed it, just finished with front and rear decks. It is quite nice.

The people are nice, and appear to be hard working. A nice addition to the neighborhood.

Congrats.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice

You can get a good deal on a used Mobile home.
    RLTW

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,703 ******
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    Nice

You can get a good deal on a used manufactured home.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We paid 40K for the house, 1600 sq.ft., another 6K to move it and reset it, I figure another 16K-20K not including the generator (5K) to get all rest that I want done. Either way we will be in debt free or damn close to it.

Then we can sell the house we live in now and add that to our IRA stash.

I will need a still I guess no sense having to drive to town to get my sipping whiskey!
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:
    Sam06 wrote:
    Nice

You can get a good deal on a used manufactured home.

That is only when you take off the wheels and the tung. :lol:
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    mogley98 wrote:
    We paid 40K for the house, 1600 sq.ft., another 6K to move it and reset it, I figure another 16K-20K not including the generator (5K) to get all rest that I want done. Either way we will be in debt free or damn close to it.

I have often thought that if something catastrophic were to happen to my house, that would be the smart way to move forward. Good game plan mogley.
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mogley98 wrote:
    ....I will need a still I guess no sense having to drive to town to get my sipping whiskey!

It is my opinion that you may have screwed up - bigtime!

The quality of whisky is determined by the water. The first thing should have been the still!
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good for you and your wife. Hope you enjoy living there.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still live in SC?
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You did good. It looks like a new one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    buddyb wrote:
    Still live in SC?

Yes instead of Hanahan it will be St. Stephen
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gonna lay block for underpinning?? we got a break on homeowners insurance for doing it, even though it wasn't structural insurance company insured it as a house instead of trailer because of the block underpinning.......
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not sure what that is exactly considering doing brick like it was where it sat before. Estimate about 5-6K to skirt with brick.
    hillbille wrote:
    gonna lay block for underpinning?? we got a break on homeowners insurance for doing it, even though it wasn't structural insurance company insured it as a house instead of trailer because of the block underpinning.......
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very cool....sounds like a great place to be !!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    mogley98 wrote:
    Not sure what that is exactly considering doing brick like it was where it sat before. Estimate about 5-6K to skirt with brick.
    hillbille wrote:
    basically I used concrete block instead of brick, like house foundation, only it was cosmetic, not structural, then painted it to match the shutters.....
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    seems a well thought out plan and well executed..enjoy the nice place without a long term debt
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought a DW on a lot a few years back. Reworked the inside and had a new roof installed. Then the trick... SC allows to detitle a MH for $50 bucks. It was sold and financed thru a bank as a home.
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mogley98 wrote:

snip . . .

. . . he kept the place in pretty good shape.

. . . snip

Understatement of the month.

That looks like a well cared for home.

Congratulations!

(I wish I had property like that. The lumberyard is two blocks from the house and the hardware store is three, but I still would like to live in the country.)
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is interesting to see a double wide that has been set up and lived in, can be re-separated and transported elsewhere. So does it have a title, or are you putting it on a permanent foundation so that it is real property? How much interior damage was caused by the separation and transport? Sounds like a nice piece of property.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great move and great plan, but, but, but where is the waterfall? :?
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looking good.

Have taken apart, moved and put together several doublewides. Appears you have good wind 'shelter' with the trees and also good drainage too.

I've found best to block them from pored concrete piers bored into the ground below frost level .. then they stay level and never shift due to frost or settleing. Have set some on 4 concrete runners length of home to block off of and/or on a full concrete slab.

Enjoy you new digs.
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My house was that clean inside ONCE UPON A TIME.
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    mogley98 wrote:
    hillbille wrote:

Manufactured homes with a metal frame are designed to be supported by blocking under the metal frame.

IF you plan to support the structure around the perimeter like a stick built house, contact the mfg as some are NOT designed for that type of set-up. Just F.Y.I.
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Currently still has a title, the plan is to have 1 acre surveyed off the larger plot so we can stay on Agricultural taxes for the rest of the land and only pay house tax on the 1 acre then we will also detitle.
    Not much damage at all really, I actually don't care for the laminate flooring he used and plan to change out to LVT in most of the rooms and retrim anyway.
    shilowar wrote:
    It is interesting to see a double wide that has been set up and lived in, can be re-separated and transported elsewhere. So does it have a title, or are you putting it on a permanent foundation so that it is real property? How much interior damage was caused by the separation and transport? Sounds like a nice piece of property.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice looking place.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:
    mogley98 wrote:
    hillbille wrote:

Manufactured homes with a metal frame are designed to be supported by blocking under the metal frame.

IF you plan to support the structure around the perimeter like a stick built house, contact the mfg as some are NOT designed for that type of set-up. Just F.Y.I.
    I understand that, that is why I said it wasn't structural............
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm liking your new house, and your location mogley.

I like your "Game Plan," also.

I am about 6 months (or less) from being debt free.

One credit card, and a few medical bills to settle up.

Two years until retirement.