In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A new military forum on GB

mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
edited October 2019 in General Discussion
We have a lot of veterans on Gun Broker, but our two sub forums are intended for Vietnam vets and Gulf War vets. While veterans of all eras are welcome to post in both forums, my thoughts are to combine the two sub forums into a single veterans forum. If there is support for this then I will approach the GB higher-ups with the idea.

Member's thoughts are appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As stated +1
    RLTW

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All it would take is updating the sub-forum name.

Which makes sense to me.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As stated on the previous thread, I would welcome an all inclusive Military Forum.

I grew up in a military family. Dad was a 32yr. Lifer ABN CSM. (WWII, Korea, Vietnam.) I spent 5 years in.

In after Vietnam, out before the Gulf.

I would like to see this come about. There is so little traffic on those two forums currently, that it makes sense to incorporate it into one, all inclusive Forum.

My humble opinion.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excellent idea and should be implemented.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree. There's damn little we 'Nam vets haven't said already, and there are so many veterans who don't fit either of the existing categories.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    Agree. There's damn little we 'Nam vets haven't said already, and there are so many veterans who don't fit either of the existing categories.

I think Rocky would make a heck of a moderator.
    RLTW

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    Rocky Raab wrote:

I think Rocky would make a heck of a moderator.

+1
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have often wondered why there was not a general veterans forum.

Sounds good to me.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree . Would like a Veterans forum. Not all Veterans served during Viet Nam or the Gulf Wars.

Just as a side note, the oldest WW2 Veteran is 111. The youngest would be in the late 80' to early 90. We are losing these Heroes at an alarming rate.
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******
    edited November -1
    Great idea! I support good will to all veterans. All took the oath and gave a part of their lives to keep America free!
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    It appears that the idea has been well received- I suppose that even I have a good idea now and then. I sent the request to GBHQ, but there are no promises that it will actually happen.

As for selecting moderators: the Forum Control Act of 2019 removed Nunn and myself from the moderator appointment process. David and I used to be able to add new moderators or remove existing mods, but that is no longer possible. It is worth noting that over the many years I've been here, more than half of the forum moderators have requested to be relived of their duties. It is a thankless job.
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All Vets should feel welcome on this forum. Sounds like a good idea to me.

And to all the Vets...Thank you for your service!
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excellent idea
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a 25 year retired Army veteran.

I am not a Vietnam or Gulf War veteran.

I have not posted in either of the forums here because . . . well, because see item 2.

As for the moderator's job being a thankless duty, it seems to me the obvious solution would be to double (even triple?) their salary. Oh . . . wait . . . nevermind.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******
    edited November -1
    I am wholly unaffected but the change sounds logical to me.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******
    edited November -1
    Also, thank you Mark for being a mod. Nunn too.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1

I have not posted in either of the forums here because . . . well, because see item 2.

This is the exact reason that I feel there should be a single veterans forum. I never had an objection with military issues being discussed in GD, but vets of every era should have a forum where their issues don't get lost among the "What's for dinner tonight?" threads. This is the reason that the reloaders and the BP/cowboy action shooting guys wanted their own forum. They were welcome in Ask The Experts, (and they still are) but their topics are specialized and got lost in the ATE clutter of "I found this pistol in my dad's sock drawer" threads.

The request for a combined military forum has been made. All that we can do now is to wait and see.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,999 ******
    edited November -1
    In support of the idea,,+++ 1000000
  • Options
    edited November -1

This is the exact reason that I feel there should be a single veterans forum. I never had an objection with military issues being discussed in GD, but vets of every era should have a forum where their issues don't get lost among the "What's for dinner tonight?" threads. This is the reason that the reloaders and the BP/cowboy action shooting guys wanted their own forum. They were welcome in Ask The Experts, (and they still are) but their topics are specialized and got lost in the ATE clutter of "I found this pistol in my dad's sock drawer" threads.

The request for a combined military forum has been made. All that we can do now is to wait and see.

Great!

Any progress on the . . . . ummmmm . . . moderator's pay increase?

:)
  • Options
    edited November -1

I asked that the mods have their pay increased to 75% of forum admins pay. Of course 75% of nothing is still nothing.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recall a paintball forum used to display dirty pictures once upon a time - in a galaxy far far away...

But yes it would seem to be a good idea to concentrate our membership in one forum rather than dilute it in multiple separate forums that may get little or no traffic or usage.

I often read the posts there but do not contribute as I am not a veteran and never served.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recall a paintball forum used to display dirty pictures once upon a time - in a galaxy far far away...

In a bit of GB forum lore, the current Reloading forum started out as the Paintball forum with roboman as moderator- no, I can't explain that choice. Because there were only five paintball enthusiasts on GB, one of them being forum moderator roboman, traffic in the Paintball forum was non existent. In what might me called coup, or at perhaps just a hostile takeover, an enterprising group of members declared the Paintball forum as the defacto Reloading Forum and went about their business. Roboman, while not toppled, became a mere figurehead and quickly resigned as moderator. At some point the reloading forum was made official and all of the previous paintball material was purged.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a valid argument...

My father was an army vet and a military police officer - cold war service...

He never deployed and never saw combat - he did prisoner chasing and transport and nuke security and such...

Reserve and hard service when I was a kid.

He spent a lot of time at Leonard Wood breaking up bar fights (anybody recall the bar in question???)

I do remember in the 90's they gave him a actual medal and ribbon for cold war service and a device and certificate referencing nuclear device security service (just a ribbon and a device)

Mike
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It?s a good idea, but that doesn?t necessarily mean it won?t be accepted. :)
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1

I asked that the mods have their pay increased to 75% of forum admins pay. Of course 75% of nothing is still nothing.

Well . . . then you just as well get a 100% increase. You know . . . with inflation and all.

:lol:

Seriously, I am a member of many different forums on the internet - everything from woodworking to cannons to military vehicles.

You folks do a great job here. Thank you.
  • Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I call myself a "cold war" veteran -- hair too young for VN, too old to be called up for Desert Storm. Spent my time getting ready to stop the Red Menace coming through the Fulda Gap :roll:

Single forum sounds good -- if you're posting a conflict specific topic note that in topic line. 8-)