In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

No more pawn shops left in town

Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
edited October 2019 in General Discussion
There are no more pawn shops left in this town.

Only a few years ago, there were 5 shops operating and now there are none.

:(
The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What happened?
    RLTW

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I noticed in this area that many pawn shops have gone under.I don't know anything about the pawn business but I thought they were cash cows.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a sign that the economy is going good. When the economy is in the crapper that's when people have to start selling their stuff off in order to live.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    but what will the crackheads do with all the stuff they "find" ????????????
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whatever happened to P3Skyking?

I met him at his pawnshop a few times around 2005 or 06.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    buddyb wrote:
    I noticed in this area that many pawn shops have gone under.I don't know anything about the pawn business but I thought they were cash cows.

they are around here, i know a couple Pawn Shop owners and they are doing quite well.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Warbirds wrote:
    Whatever happened to P3Skyking?

I met him at his pawnshop a few times around 2005 or 06.

He is not locked out, but is taking a sabbatical from the forum. He does this from time to time. His expertise in military memorial, particularly Nazi and Japanese, is appreciated. The rest...less so.
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a friend who has a pawn shop, and yesterday he was griping that someone came in and picked up $9000 worth of stuff he had pawned. He had paid interest on it for almost 3 years, so my friend had lost a cash cow. I told him to just recycle the money! A lady has about $12000 worth of jewelry in pawn she is paying interest on because she can't trust her family, guess she never heard about safe deposit boxes.
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seem a changing marketplace and technology has impacted the business along with a good economy.

The internet is one ... easy to sell, check used prices and/or buy all from your easy chair.

Most electronics, once they quit functioning or don't function correctly are throw away items as the cost to repair exceeds replacement cost. For example, a TV has been a throw away item for some time and one without the factory remote is useless.

DVD, CD's etc. have little to no value used as obsolete. Most electronics are obsolete within a year.

Once pawn shop staples have become outdated: CB radios; Furs; TV's, DVD players; CD players; Auto Stereo equipment; tools, cameras, etc. Most people can't fix anything & vehicle repair is severely limited with everything computerized. Movies are streaming or downloaded as is music. Cameras are in everyone's cell phone. A year old computer is obsolete.

The welfare system provides free utilities, free housing, free medical, free food and CASH. Pop out more kids and you get a bigger slice of the pie. Also everyone in the family gets a free cell phone and free service! Seem no end to the free assistance provided.

Additionally, many of those under 40 are living with or sucking off their parents so have limited resources available to pawn.

As for the thieves, they have learned if they pawn/sell a 'hot' item, it can be traced directly back to them in short order since nearly every pawn shop is computerized and every pawn/buy transaction is downloaded to the local PD every evening.
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock: