In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Nakamichi sings again.......Pic

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in General Discussion
I bought this Nakamichi 480 tape deck in the fall of 1981 when I started Grad School.....I had worked two jobs all summer and saved up enough to plunk down the $385.00 for it. In those days my stereo was worth more than my car and trailer combined. (At least I had my priorities straight :oops: )

Since I retired I have had the itch to get my old vintage stereo system working again....This has been in a box for over 20 years, the belts and cap stands needed to be replaced and it was put away when I was overtaken by the digital revolution. Recently I found a electronics shop that specializes in vintage audio repair and just got this back yesterday. The old girl sounds every bit as good as she did 38 years ago when I brought her home the first time !!!!!

I have over 300 cassette tapes that I recorded between 1981 and 1985. Most are from albums from the 70's. Some great tunes and memories...?.Next step is an old Carver M500 amp...

Got any vintage stereo stories ? Lets hear them....

fwZt6q4l.jpg

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    do you still have a wooden pencil to unwrap those tapes when they birdnest on ya??? gotta beat anything on the radio nowdays........
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who'da guessed? I just got my early 80's JVC amp hooked up to the original turntable and a new Onkyo CD player and new Klimpsch speakers. I am afraid I am way over cassette tapes. ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    hillbille wrote:
    do you still have a wooden pencil to unwrap those tapes when they birdnest on ya??? gotta beat anything on the radio nowdays........

So far the ones I have tried have worked fine....I am sure a bird nest is coming soon !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He Dog wrote:
    Who'da guessed? I just got my early 80's JVC amp hooked up to the original turntable and a new Onkyo CD player and new Klimpsch speakers. I am afraid I am way over cassette tapes. ;)

The tapes were all made with new albums, played only once for the recording on tape, so the sound is really excellent.....What Klipsch speakers did you buy ???
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew Paul Klipsch. A really nice but eccentric man who thought a bit above most folks. ;) He was known to send a whole shipment of speaker components back to the supplier if they didn't meet his specs.
    A local pawn shop took in a set of vintage Klipsch horns for $800. I took a look, and the back of them was signed and dated by Paul himself in the mid '70s. I managed to get a picture of his signature to compare it to, and they matched perfectly. He found a collector who paid him $3600 for them. Turns out they were the display speakers at Klipsch, Inc.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    William81 wrote:
    He Dog wrote:

The tapes were all made with new albums, played only once for the recording on tape, so the sound is really excellent.....What Klipsch speakers did you buy ???

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-reference-4-bookshelf-speakers-pair-black/6240507.p?skuId=6240507

Did not really need the Bose or VOT, just for the bedroom.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first new car was a '73 Trans Am that I ordered with an 8 track stereo and an AM radio. There wasn't any FM rock-n-roll stations where I lived back then so I saw no need of having an FM radio. I liked the old 8 tracks better than cassettes back then.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're lucky dude was still around. I would love to find me a dude who can service my tape deck in my ride.