In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thermal scop users

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in General Discussion
I sold my ATN FLIR scope, I did not like the bloom from branches when looking for game at night, it might be awesome for a clear field but not any where near trees and bushes.

Thermal is EXPENSIVE but I am about ready to pull the trigger on one. Does the Hz rating make a difference?

These are two I am looking at
Pulsar Core RXQ30V 1.6-6.4x22 Thermal Riflescope
and

Armasight by FLIR Predator 336 2-8x25mm Thermal Imaging Rifle Scope with Tau 2 336x256 17 micron 30Hz Core

The second one is confusing to me. I HATED the infrared ATN because of the bloom. Is the second one a infrared or a thermal. The nomenclature on some of these is confusing as heck. Any suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,452 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The HZ rating is the refresh rate where that comes into play is moving targets and the lag time of the image keeping up with the target. Most thermal scopes are rated at 30 HZ I have seen some at 60 hz. I've been looking at thermal scopes for awhile now. I think if I ever make the plunge is to go with the what they call the clip on where you mount it front of a regular rifle scope