In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

50 % of Corn Harvest is being Threaten by Major Freeze Warnings

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2019 in General Discussion
If it comes to pass then we could have a problem with food inflation which would include beef cattle! I bet the speculators are already bidding it up. Let's hope they can get it all in storges ASAP.

serf

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/record-low-temps-of-up-to-45-below-zero-threaten-to-absolutely-wreck-the-rest-of-the-harvest-season

All-time record lows for the month of October are being set in city after city, and this extremely cold air is going to push into the Midwest by the end of the week. Temperatures in the heartland will be up to 50 degrees below normal, and unfortunately about half of all corn still has not been harvested. Due to unprecedented rainfall and extreme flooding early in the year, many farmers faced extraordinary delays in getting their crops planted, and so they were hoping that good weather at the end of the season would provide time for the crops to fully mature and be harvested. Unfortunately, a nightmare scenario has materialized instead. A couple of monster snow storms have already roared through the Midwest, and now record low temperatures threaten to absolutely wreck the rest of the harvest season.

Comments

• Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited November -1
    On sale next week: Green Giant Frozen Niblets :lol:
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    OMG? What vegetables are we going to put in our gasoline?
  • SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This can't be, we are having global warning not record cold.
  • diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can combine corn in the snow. And, every podunk little town around here have grain storage elevators. They also have huge piles of corn they keep outside. Piles the size of football fields.

Harvest is in full swing, here. Snow doesn?t even slow ?em down
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is true but not if the corn isnt ripe to harvest.
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The price of Obamafuel will go through the roof! :)

yep, I'm yelling.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JimmyJack wrote:
    That is true but not if the corn isnt ripe to harvest.

Yep, hot dry weather here led to an early harvest start as corn dried down.

But getting an early frost before the grain is ripe is one of the big risks farmers take. Corn will still look good from the road but when the combines hit the field there just isn't much grain.
  • JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope it does freeze so the farmers can get their corn out. Frozen ground is way better than mud and the corn doesn't mind it a bit.
    formerly known as warpig883
  • arraflipperarraflipper Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The corn was about as late as ever being planted. The hot summer pushed it well past any worries of frost or freezing. They have been combining corn for 3 weeks a long with beans. There are some beans put in late that won't be very much. A lot of the farm ground didn't get planted, due to crop insurance. This weather will delay picking for a couple days but won't hurt almost all the corn crop.
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just started soybeans Monday, no one has done any corn around here yet. I'll be done with beans in a few days and will go right into corn. Like most of your posts this is completely false and only serves to rile up the uneducated that to put it bluntly "don't know $*&# about $*&#".
  • wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just started soybeans Monday, no one has done any corn around here yet. I'll be done with beans in a few days and will go right into corn. Like most of your posts this is completely false and only serves to rile up the uneducated that to put it bluntly "don't know $*&# about $*&#".

And as usual, one post and he's gone.
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought cows ate grass? That reminds me in the movie "Jeepers Creepers 3" the girl "had" to buy hay for her horse while her farm had much green grass on the ground.

Now with "shortage" on corn I'd be more worried about the drinking booze going up.
  • Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Freeze won't bother either corn or beans, if the corn hasn't reached the "black layer" then it could be a problem, best chopped for silage ( cattle feed), if not hard freezes will actually help dry down the grain.

When I was a kid in the 60"s, we shelled hundreds of acres of corn starting around Thanksgiving. No one had crop dryers, 4-wheel drive combines, etc.
    We had to wait until the ground was frozen enough to hold up a single axel truck in the field.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The headline was about 50% BS and 40% misinformation leaving about 10% of fact. An EARLY frost could have been a real problem. This year's first killing frost in north MO came right in the average period of mid-October. That was a problem for late planted crops which weren't at full maturity. The result will be seen as lower test weights and/or damaged grain at harvest.
    Cold weather will actually facilitate harvest in most areas as has been stated. SNOW and above freezing temps is NOT a good combination. Soft snow will not "blow out" the back of combines and the flow of cold air generated by the combines' separators causes the soggy snow/chaff mess to freeze inside the machine. THAT stops everything dead or sends the threshed grain out the back of the machine onto the ground.
    The wet snow event has or will cause serious losses to some soybean fields as the heavy snow load breaks stems and causes the crop to lay down making it unharvestable.
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    diver-rig wrote:
    You can combine corn in the snow. And, every podunk little town around here have grain storage elevators. They also have huge piles of corn they keep outside. Piles the size of football fields.

Harvest is in full swing, here. Snow doesn?t even slow ?em down

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^ IS EXACTLY TRUE !!

But, It is a son-of-a-gun when combining corn and the combine gets stuck in the snow.
    :lol:
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't i predict the upcoming disassedher,,,, ??? , but global freezing is here to stay. Two quilts on bed last night in HOUSTON !!! in OCTOBER temp getting close to freezing. Looking at one of the coldest winters on record. Youtube is all ready filling up with videos of survivalists thinking about turning back and making their survival films in nicer weather.

What's causing global cooling and the resulting ice age ???? GLOBAL WARMING and of course TRUMP.
    The Gulf Stream and The Next Ice Age is about the consequences of global warming on The Great Atlantic Conveyor, which has to do with regulating climate and the fear that the melting of ice will stop it, perhaps triggering an ice age.

We're screwed.gif

Stop_global_warming_sign.jpg

How to survive,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj8LKZyw7Hs
    PS: be sure to get a couple of MaxTraxs
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Frost isnt as bad as the rain and snow. With the crop sitting in the moisture, mold and other toxic rot issues reduces the yield every day.