In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Handi Rifle rear sight; Update

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2019 in Ask the Experts
I picked a handi rifle up from the FFL today. It arrived with a damaged package and broken rear sight. I have contacted the seller but in the mean time I was looking for a rear sight replacement. Seems everywhere I looked was "out of stock" or didn't have them listed at all. I know I can post on the wanted to buy forum, and I may. But does anyone know where I can buy this rear site?

I did read some mention that a Ruger revolver rear sight body may work, anyone know about this?

Here is a link to the listing so rear sight can be seen.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/841267108

CM, I'd like to find one as the sights was one reason I bought this rifle. Having to change front and rear is what I am hoping to avoid. I know there are peep sight systems available. If I can't find a replacement I'll probably just put a rail on it and mount a scope. I like the balance of the rifle as is. I'll see what the seller says before I do anything but if I had found a replacement rear sight that's the easiest thing to do.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I doubt you will find one and if you do it will not be cheap. I think I would mount a rear sight farther back on the 3 top screws for the scope mount. Perhaps one for attaching right to the scope rail. Likely need a taller front.

You might find other parts that can be made to fit.

added. How is the sight busted? Is it aluminium? Can you post some pic's with something for scale? Maybe a really talented welder guy could help. I have lots of parts for firearms with hand tools like a file or a Dremel. Screw threads like in sights are a real challenge to find - usually special order tap or die $$$. However you might dovetail the back half (blade and adjustment unit) to a new long section.

Have you called Brownells and ask - they have some good people that might have some suggestion.

Sad, I think some of the mail/shipping people enjoy inflicting damage to evil guns.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen a few muzzloaders with sights like that the thompson renegade had same style but had octagonal barrel, not sure if they used round barrell on them or not.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay. I have a couple of Ruger revolvers and when I looked at them I thought the sight body looked narrower than what I need. But I put the mics on them anyway. It looks to me like the Ruger sight will work. Width is right, length is right and the distance to the roll pin is right, or as near to right as I can measure with the sight still in the revolvers. I can't get the mics on them to measure the tickness in the middle but it it's to thick I can emery it down.

I could pull one and see but I do not want to have to line the revolver back up. So, I guess I'll order a Ruger part and go from there.

The seller made a fair offer for a refund to cover this and I accepted. So they handled their part as well as I could expect. I'll be out a little time but stuff happens, if the part works I'll be good to go.

Edit: After looking at Ruger rear sights the contour of the bottom of the sight is different. Back to looking.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Update: For those that may like to know. After looking at the Ruger rear sight and making a few more measurements I ordered one. I installed it today and it will work. There is a very slight 0.004" of lateral play as best as I can measure it. I could take it out with a few different ways but given the limited range of this rifle that's just not going to be an issue and the sight (with springs) is already installed. Even if the sight somehow got pushed completely to the side and held there, not likely at all as the play is in the length of the sight and not side to side along the pin, It just isn't going to matter enough to cause a miss on a deer, it would barely cause a miss on a squirrel head at 100 yards. But who hunts squirrels with a .44 mag, right.

Like I wrote, I thought someone else might need this information some time.