In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cartridge expansion

neacpaneacpa Member Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
edited November 2019 in Ask the Experts
A friend of mine has a Browning ABolt 7 rem mag. Couple of weeks ago he shot it and could not get bolt to slide back to eject empty cartridge. The bolt would move up to open, but not slide back. He asked me if I could get it out, so I lightly tapped on it with a rubber mallet and it popped back. I cleaned the rifle for him, returned to him and told him to get another box of ammo to shoot. All factory ammo.

He tells me today that he shot it to make sure scope was still on and it did the same thing, so he tapped on the bolt handle and it slid back. The cartridges load into chamber just fine and bolt will slide back and eject just fine with a loaded cartridge.

Any ideas on what may be causing cartridges to expand?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say there is about 55,000 copper units of pressure which is about normal for modern firearms causing the brass to expand, again normal. What I suspect is there is a burr in the chamber opening. Look carefully at the fired brass for shinny new scrape marks. While you are at it measure the case about 1/4" up from the flat base, is round or does it have a lump?

There could be other issues, such as bolt set back from a way to hot load. Is this a new rifle or a used one? When you cleaned it, you used a good fitting chamber brush, not just patches in the bore.
  • Options
    rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    If he has fired it previously, without problems? I would suspect it's ammo related. 7 Mag is a belted case. Might be some variation in metaliurgy and powder charge, causing to much expansion of brass?

Have him get hold of a different brand of factory ammo, to see if the problem persists. If it does? Follow Charlie's advice, about through cleaning and inspecting bolt and chamber.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    neacpa,
    Any ideas on what may be causing cartridges to expand?

The first thing you have to establish is if this is a new rifle or he has used it before?

If it's new, the chamber needs to be inspected carefully and adjusted or polished. This should be handled by a gunsmith with a borescope and proper gauges. If he has fired it before with no incident, you need to discover what has changed since the last fully functioning extraction then fix that.

Sitting here guessing on the internet only gets you a list of possible suggestions. Take it to your gunsmith to to get it debugged.

Best.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe something as simple as a good cleaning and relubing might solve the problem.
  • Options
    neacpaneacpa Member Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. The gun is an older one and I had told him to get a different brand of ammo to try. I cleaned it as well as I could and will just tell him to take to an actual gunsmith...lol
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the brass doesn't seem particularly swollen, it could be a tiny piece of brass in the bolt. I had a Remington 700 exhibit similar problem, though not as severe. Normal chamber cleaning didn't help. I was still shooting factory ammo at the time as I hadn't yet gotten into reloading. Anyway, I finally disassembled the bolt and there was a piece of brass, about the width of a toothpick. I think it was keeping the bolt from unlocking all the way but enough so that once it cleared the lugs, the bolt drug all the way back making me think it was dragging in the chamber.

On a side note, I'd also check the chamber for any brass left there as well. I had a rifle years ago that was hard to get into battery. The last 1/2" of bolt turn was real difficult. Turned out, somewhere along the way, a small complete ring (but just a sliver) was in the chamber basically near the end of the brass itself. It took a good light to illuminate from the muzzle, a mirror for reflection, and a camera so I could zoom in to find the problem.

If in question after checking all the suggestions here and trying different ammo, I would recommend a gunsmith as well. I hate to, because to me it feels like I concede defeat when I go to one. But, if it turns out the brass is swelling that much it could be the sign of a much bigger problem such as head space issues.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would recommend a gunsmith as well. I hate to, because to me it feels like I concede defeat when I go to one.

Why? Because you think you should have the answer to every problem which may occur with a firearms?

Do you solve your own dental problems and avoid the dentist?

If your child is sick or hurt, do you avoid the hospital and try to cure them yourself?

Using an expert who has more knowledge, experience, and expertise is not admitting defeat, it's exercising intelligence on how to handle a situation beyond your experience.

Best.
  • Options
    HessianHessian Member Posts: 248
    edited November -1
    Cartridges normally expand, this is what seals most of the gases in the barrel. Sometimes with reloads or even very rarely with factory hotter than normal loads, the case may expand excessively causing drag when the bolt moves to the rear. Actually the case expands when fired and then slightly relaxes after firing, we are talking thousandths of an inch here. The case is always slightly larger after firing than before but should extract with minimal effort.

Something to look at is a rifle that has been fired a lot may burn a slight groove in the chamber, normally very near (slightly in front of) where the bullet meets the case. A case slightly longer than what has previously been fired my expand into this groove. Just an idea if normal causes aren't found like a pitted, dirty or fouled chamber.

Maybe check the case length with a micrometer and compare it to another case from a different manufacturer or even a different batch number.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nononsense wrote:
    I would recommend a gunsmith as well. I hate to, because to me it feels like I concede defeat when I go to one.

Why? Because you think you should have the answer to every problem which may occur with a firearms?

Do you solve your own dental problems and avoid the dentist?

If your child is sick or hurt, do you avoid the hospital and try to cure them yourself?

Using an expert who has more knowledge, experience, and expertise is not admitting defeat, it's exercising intelligence on how to handle a situation beyond your experience.

Best.

Valid points. I am just one of those guys that if I have something in my hands, I can almost always figure it out. Granted, there are a few things I would not do regarding firearms, adjusting timing on revolvers for instance. Sometimes I figure out the problem, but still take it in. I used to do all my own mechanic work too but with a very bad back, I have had to pawn most of it off. I almost always have it diagnosed before taking it in through. I do go to the dentist, but maybe just because I can't see in there very well. LOL I do my own podiatry stuff though including pulling ingrown toenails. ;)
    No kids to worry about. These are my babies. :mrgreen:
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
This discussion has been closed.