In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester model 70

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited November 2019 in Ask the Experts
I have a model 70 Winchester 270 that has" Carbine" printed on the side of the barrel. I have been trying to find out more information on the "Carbine" but have been unable to find out anything. Nothing special about the gun, it has a 20 inch barrel and a standard checkered straight stock. Just a real handy short gun. Please let me know if you can tell me anything about this rifle.

Comments

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester Model 70 Carbine
    The pre-64 Model 70 carbine was made from 1936-1946. 20 in. barrel with front sight an integral part of the barrel. Front sight and manufacture date would help identify a fake. Last value that I know is about twice the value of a standard model 70. It was made in 22 Hornet, 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, 270 Win., 7mm Mauser, and 30-06 calibers. 30-06 was the most common. Ser. no. should be somewhere between 20 and 58382. Also it was not listed by Winchester as a carbine but as a short rifle. Maybe somebody else can add some info.

Also . There were several differently configured short barreled 70's made from the early to mid 80's. The XTR configuration is a good example of some very fine factory work... don't know about them being marked as carbines though...

Or. . My 1984 Winchester catalog list the "New for "84 Winchester Model 70 Lightweight Bolt Action Centerfire Carbines with Standard and Short Actions". They were available in 6 calibers, including your .30-06. The catalog states an American walnut stock with 16 lpi deep-cut checkering. I believe the barrels were marked 'Model 70 Carbine'.

Winchester aficionados and collectors and reference works and forums seem to avoid the use of the term carbine in reference to the model 70 and instead substitute short rifle...

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/item-relisted-fs-ft-scarce-winchester-model-70-carbine.1253840/

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/58/410/winchester-70-carbine-7-mm

Winchester Model 70 Carbine Very Rare Factory Carbine 30-06 Quality New Haven Gun

Description:
    Rarely encounterd is this model 70 Carbine recent production this is one of the few we have seen. 20" factory marked carbine chambered in very capable 30-06 which has taken every form of game on the planet at one time or another.
    This is a spectacular example (Still has front site hood) with only some very very light scratches left side of butt stock but otherwise in more or less unused condition.

We have a twin to this - gun sold for $650.00 which seems like a steal or a deal to me...

https://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23445

Hope this helps.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The serial number is G1689060 it is definitely printed carbine on the barrel. The serial number is located on the right side of the ring of the receiver.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guess is post 64 modern construction circa 1984-1989...

My 1990 Winchester catalog does not list the carbine any more.

I suppose that in the intervening 30 years since 1990 then they could have reissued them or done a continuation production series - I kind of gave up on the model 70 post 1990 as quality had declined and cartridge availability had steered in a direction I was disinterested in following (WSM & WSSM, etc...)

Not trying to slander later models by any means - but following the great divide between pre and post 64 devotees and those who focus on 1970 through 1984 I simply don't think the guns produced after 1990 had improved or even maintained the previous manufacturers quality standards and the departure from certain classic cartridges to focus on some flash in the pan came and went new niche fad rounds disappointing and a turn away from traditional core values that are key to the models identity...

As you have posted the serial number I am certain one of our experts will be along shortly with a definitive date of production - and clarification of my somewhat inexact response...

Mike
  • Options
    76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dodge69,

Based on the information provided, it looks like the serial number is a 1983 production. However, the records are not always complete or 100% accurate, due to lack of details available. Not as much interest in the Post 64 rifles. The chart I looked at online shows serial # G1656883 beginning for 1983 and serial # G1728457 the start of 1984.

Looking at the history of Model 70 production, in 1985 the "Model 70 Lightweight carbine standard action" was introduced. Perhaps this is the designation for your rifle?

Searching the auction side for 'Winchester 70 Carbine 270' comes up with this auction: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/844724189
    Maybe similar to your rifle?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I according to a old blue book I found the Model 70 Carbine was produced between 83 and 87.