In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Woman Killed By Wild Hogs

Comments

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Poor woman, terrifying way to go. I've read a few stories through the years of people getting killed and eaten by hogs, usually penned hogs.
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nunn wrote:
    Bloody things are a nuisance!

But like grand dad said' "Can't live with 'em - can't live without 'em!"
    Oh, you were talking about the hogs.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good reason to have open season on wild hog hunts...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wondering if it were a sow protecting her piglets. Hell of a way to die.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,689 ******
    edited November 2019
    I don?t know. The story says she was found outside her car with a head wound. Something fishy, i think.
    Edit: Read about it on Fox.com.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:
    I don?t know. The story says she was found outside her car with a head wound. Something fishy, i think.

It doesn't say that in the article Nunn posted. Did you read that somewhere else?

"An autopsy showed 59-year-old Christine Rollins was mauled by feral hogs."

" Chambers County Sheriff Brian Hawthorne called it unbelievably rare. "The little research we have found, less than six of these have been reported in the nation over the many, many years of reporting these kinds of deaths. I don't know how many we've had in Texas. I hope we never have another one in Chambers county."

He refused to describe the crime scene. "I'm not going to discuss it. There's too many families involved. But in my 35 years, I will tell you it's one of the worst things I've ever seen." "
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In this IGNORANT state you can ONLY shoot them DURING shotgun deer season.! Moronic state led by morons, inept, ignorant liberals!
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The sheriff wouldn't describe the scene, so, I bet the hogs ate the lady, or some of her.
    There are many recorded cases of hogs eating people. We studied The Canterbury Tales in school, written about year 1200, there is an account of a pig getting inside the house, and eating a baby in the cradle.
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another reason to have the right to carry firearms by the time police show up your dead! Wild dogs attacking in packs happen too!

serf
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wpageabc wrote:
    Good reason to have open season on wild hog hunts...

Here in OK feral hogs are open season all the time.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    HessianHessian Member Posts: 248
    edited November -1
    I've hunted the real deal Wild Boar for decades. The usual bad encounter is one running you down and knocking you to the ground, then maybe worrying you a little on the way by. People always talk about the male tusker getting you, in my experience, it is the big sows you have to worry about. A big sow will come at you head back. mouth wide open, about crotch high.

Wild Boar have a bad habit of racing off in a panic in any direction they are pointed and/or towards the nearest heavy cover. Not necessarily away from danger. They also travel in packs.

I have put roadkill Deer in a likely feeding area and had the pack (sounder) destroy the carcass in short order. They often leave only a few tufts of fur and some bone splinters. Around here many newborn Fawns are killed and eaten by Boar.

Wild Boar attacks are rare but not all that rare. In my county, there are one or two a year.

I've had one come right at me (300+ pound sow) instead of running away, enough to make the old sphincter pucker up.

The downside to not hunting them is in a few short generations they lose their fear of humans. In one county here hunting is forbidden. You hear stories all the time about people getting mugged for their groceries or Boar rampaging through a store looking for food. Just a few weeks ago one guy got a finger bitten off by a Boar in a shop.