In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old gas in Dieslel trucks

jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,689 ******
edited November 2019 in General Discussion
I?m really careful what I put in my chainsaws. If the mixed fuel is more than a couple of months old, I dispose of it and get some new.
Question:
Would it hurt to put a pint or two in my F250 diesel tank? Seems like a good option verses other means of disposal.

Comments

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A pint or two in a nearly full tank wouldnt hurt a thing. A helper put the wrong fuel in my tractor once and it caused problems with the injectors. Granddaughter put deisel in her honda and barely made it out of the station.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would think it would just thin the mix slightly.

If you ever have a gas engine get vapor lock, just put a gallon of diesel in a full tank. I am not sure how it work exactly, but in my lifetime we've had two vehicles that would get vapor lock on the really hot days (100+) and this trick worked every time.

One question, do you get non-ethanol? I always try to use non in all my small engines. I'll use non-ethanol for more than a year. With ethanol, I figure it needs to go by 3 months. If I know something is going to sit for more than a year, I'll use Sta-Bil in it. A while back I fired up my 15k generator with gas that is 3 years or more. But, it is non-ethanol and had stabilizer in it. Fired up in less than a second of cranking and purred like a kitton.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago Mercedes cars came with a manual that listed, among other things, the gas to motor oil ratio for emergencies.
    You can burn gas in a diesel if it is sufficiently diluted with heavier fuels.
  • Options
    HessianHessian Member Posts: 248
    edited November -1
    Mercedes diesel recommended mixing a little gasoline in with the diesel in really cold climates. It is supposed to make starts easier. I forget the recommended mix it's been a few decades since I've had a Mercedes diesel.
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I worked in northern Siberia we regularly added gasoline to diesel in our F-250?s and 966 forklift

And even now in the Egyptian desert because of the terrible high parafin diesel we get, I add a liter of gasoline per tank on my Toyota work pickup.

Haven?t blown a head off or a hole in a piston yet.

At home, I just use Power Service and #1 diesel in winter

Mule
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, guys. Sounds like a couple of pints of chainsaw fuel won?t hurt.
  • Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good post, I have a older JD diesel tractor that can be tough to start in the winter, even though it's plugged into a block heater. May try that trick.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,400 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Was looking through an older Mercedes owner's manual once, and it stated one could mix up to 20% gasoline in the diesel in cold weather. Used to be SOP to ad five gallons of gas to a truck fuel tank in winter.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A pint or quart of gas in 20 gallons of diesel fuel very likely won't hurt anything. Five gallons of gas in 20 gallon of diesel is a bad idea. I had a neighbor who made it a habit of failing to use fuel anti-gel treatment in his tractors. He'd wait until they clotted up and pour 15-25% ratio of gas into the diesel. This was back in the "old days" of high sulphur #2 diesel. Then one cold winter morning he tried the "gas in diesel" stunt and 30 minutes later, his injector pump seized leaving him stranded, facing an expensive repair cost, during a cold snap that made mechanic work absolutely impossible.
    I run my "old" 2 cycle gas through my gas pickup or Jeep.
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Worked in a service station back in the 60's and one older gentleman that came in always had us add a quart of fuel oil to a tank of gas in his oldsmobile. Said it prevented vapor lock and also acted as an upper lubricant.

He also never left without sharing a pint of blackberry schnapps he purchased at the liqour store next door to the station. :D

Also the 1949 IHC WD-9 farm tractors were diesel but you started them on gasoline, let them run for a minute then switched over to diesel. Reverse when shutting the engine off, idle on diesel then switch to gas for a minute then kill the motor. ;)
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While in VN (SeaBees), we had a rough terrain fork lift that wouldn't start most of the time. We raided the medical dept. and got a container of ether, poured a bit down the intake. Rattled like hell, but started! We even tried adding gasoline to the fuel tank, but no luck. The darned thing is probably still running somewhere in that s___hole country! :lol:
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Dad's old Model B John Deere Tractor would run on either one. You could start it on gas and then switch it over to the tank of diesel which back in the old days was a lot cheaper than gas.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "My Dad's old Model B John Deere Tractor would run on either one."

Actually, NO. The older tractors were designed to run on "distillate" or kerosene, neither of which is "DIESEL FUEL".Almost 50 years ago, I worked for a fuel delivery business and was well versed in what would run on what type of fuel.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't you have a gasoline powered vehicle you can put it in? I do that a couple times a year.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mobuck wrote:

Actually, NO. The older tractors were designed to run on "distillate" or kerosene, neither of which is "DIESEL FUEL".Almost 50 years ago, I worked for a fuel delivery business and was well versed in what would run on what type of fuel.

I could have sworn he told me it was diesel he switched over to. Well I knew it ran on something besides gas. Isn't diesel fuel made from kerosene with a little oil added to it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don't you have a gasoline powered vehicle you can put it in? I do that a couple times a year.
    If it messed up my wife?s new car, I?d be in a world of crap.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Believe me six month old chainsaw gas won't hurt a car engine. My threshold is six months and I have dumped gallons of six month old chainsaw gas into the gas tank. You got ten gallons of fresh gas mixed with one gallon of stale gas. No problem, plus it gives a little extra lube to your piston rings for a few hundred miles.
    One gallon to ten doesn't even make smoke from the exhaust pipe.
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mobuck wrote:

I could have sworn he told me it was diesel he switched over to. Well I knew it ran on something besides gas. Isn't diesel fuel made from kerosene with a little oil added to it?

Distillate Fuel
    A distillate fuel is any one of the wide variety of fuels obtained from fractions boiling above the temperature at which gasoline comes off in the distillation of petroleum. All of the fuel oil classes are refined from crude petroleum and may be categorized as either a distillate fuel or a residual fuel depending on the method of production. Distillate fuels consist of diesel oils and fuel oils.

Distillate products known as No. 1, No. 2 and No. 4 diesel fuel are used in on-highway diesel engines as well as off-highway engines. Products known as No. 1, No. 2 and No. 4 fuel oils are used primarily for space heating and electric power generation.
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    jrentjrent Member Posts: 89
    edited November -1
    It does not take a lot of water to damage the injectors on a PS and I don't believe I would want to add gas. These injectors are very expensive unlike the older IDI injectors which a little gas might not hurt. Injectors are around $300 each new and rebuilt $200.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old gas will run poorly in small engines. Best to leave diesles to what works best in them. Burn your old gas in v6 or v8 engines.
    "What is truth?'