In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Polish your shotgun barrel;

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,053 ******
edited November 2019 in General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never hurts to give the chamber a good scrubbing. That's what they make chamber brushes for. Before the advent of modern cleaning solvents I used a drill and cleaning rod to remove plastic residue but only with a brass brush. I have handled and owned shotguns that have fired 50 - 100 thousand rounds and have never seen the brass on the shell cause a groove in the chamber. Methinks he is seeing the sometimes poor polishing that Remington lets leave the factory. I guess he is probably not hurting anything but I have my doubts that he is really accomplishing much. Just my 2 cents and sorry no refunds. Bob
  • Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bob, would have to agree with you. If I were to proceed in this fashion, which I probably would not, I would likely lay the barrel on a piece of inner tube on my work bench and use a couple squeeze clamps on it. Sometimes that 0000 steel wool has a mind of its own and you end up with a sprained wrist or worse.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My great grandpa would come back from his grave and kick my * if I did that to one of his old Winchester 1912's or 1897's. :shock:
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ring he was seeing wasn't from the brass, because it wasn't brass, he was shooting cheap WalMart bulk ammo in an autoloader. The steel base doesn't expand to seal the chamber like brass does, worse in an autoloader, and leaves a hint of a carbon ring. He has the right idea for cleaning it, but doing it all wrong. You want that 0000 steel wool soaked with light oil, or even Hoppes , and slowly work the spinning brush back and forth, from the breach up into, and past the forcing cone.
    After a regular cleaning, and you "think" your barrel is clean, you'll be surprised how much wad plastic coats that forcing cone, and the choke constriction near the muzzle. Brush & wool on the drill method will peel it right out.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TRAP55 wrote:
    The ring he was seeing wasn't from the brass, because it wasn't brass, he was shooting cheap WalMart bulk ammo in an autoloader. The steel base doesn't expand to seal the chamber like brass does, worse in an autoloader, and leaves a hint of a carbon ring. He has the right idea for cleaning it, but doing it all wrong. You want that 0000 steel wool soaked with light oil, or even Hoppes , and slowly work the spinning brush back and forth, from the breach up into, and past the forcing cone.
    After a regular cleaning, and you "think" your barrel is clean, you'll be surprised how much wad plastic coats that forcing cone, and the choke constriction near the muzzle. Brush & wool on the drill method will peel it right out.

Your right it is amazing how much plastic can build up. Years ago after cleaning a barrel with Hoppes and a brass brush and then patches it looked spotless. On a whim I mopped it with Shooters Choice and let it sit for 15 minutes. When I pushed a tight patch thru after the 15 min the plastic that came out ahead of the patch was eye opening. The regular cleaning had just burnished the plastic into a smooth layer that was undetectable when looking thru the barrel. Now I use the Shooters Choice about every other cleaning and before long term storage. Bob
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry, I thought this might be new "Code," for Spanking the Monkey. :o:lol:

Carry on.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife used to but for some reason the barrel gets rusty now. She says I eat to much possum for her. I don't know? :oops:
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry, I thought this might be new "Code," for Spanking the Monkey. :o:lol:

Carry on.
    Ken, you opened the thread for a "how to"??? :mrgreen:

BobJudy, A guy brought me his fathers Winchester 1200 12ga that had only had a patch run through it since he bought it new. I had to use acetone to get all the wad plastic out. I scraped enough out, there was enough to make another wad.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rats...

I was hoping for a polish shotgun or some polish shotgun jokes...

Not a polished shotgun.

Mike