In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lawrence of Arabia

jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,735 ******
edited November 2019 in General Discussion
On Turner Classic Movies now.
I can?t believe I?ve never seen it. It would be wonderful on the big silver screen.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I've seen it many times on TV, and I have it on Blu-ray, but I've never seen it in a theater. My mother said it, and The Bridge on the River Kwai, were amazing on the big screen.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the movies one and done viewing. Yeah I guess the scenery was nice but I didn't get the hype.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great movie and it is fairly accurate historically.

The break up of the Ottoman Empire and the arbitrary establishment of Arab states by the British and French to be ruled over by them have brought us the problems we have today in the Middle East.
    RLTW

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Growing up we had an older somewhat rundown theatre - let's just say that once a prestigious destination but by the late 70's the blush was off the rose..

Thursday nights and Sunday nights they played older vintage movies and admission was only $2.00 - and you could bring in food and drink if purchased from the diner next door owned by the same family - drive in restaurant fare suitable for eating in a movie seat - from a limited menu...

As a child I saw some wonderful screen epics there...

Lawrence of Arabia
    Oliver
    Charlie and the chocolate factory
    The thing
    The blob
    Bridge on the river kwai
    Stalag 17
    The great escape
    The way the west was won
    Tons of John Wayne films (including the bad ones)
    The quiet man
    Brigadoon
    All quiet on the western front
    Das boot
    Judgement at Nuremberg
    Midway
    Father goose
    Operation petticoat
    Forbidden planet
    That one with the giant ants
    The day the earth stood still
    Heavy metal
    Blues brothers
    Little shop of horrors
    That Danny Kay movie were he sings inchworm inchworm measuring the marigolds
    Chitty chitty bang bang
    Mutiny on the bounty
    Moby dick
    Ray harryhousen flicks
    Spaghetti westerns
    B grade horror movies
    Etc...

Cult classics and pop culture icons.

And while not the same experience but better than TV the local library would show films in the basement that you could not see on TV - at least not often.

And in pensauken NJ one of the first drive in movie theaters was still operating and showing classics - cartoons - serials - flash Gordon - the star blazer sci fi cartoons...

So I was lucky to see such films in a proper format.

Lawrence of Arabia was one of those first films were I could recognize and name the firearms and ordnance - my first exposure to terrorism and insurgency and guerilla warfare...

Mike
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,280 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a great movie but I just can't get in to shows about people running around in the desert.

For his next film, David Lean wanted Peter O'Toole to play the lead again, in Dr. Zhivago. O'Toole said "I just spent 2 damn years running around in the desert and be damned if I would spend 2 years running around in Siberia." He turned down the lead in Dr. Zhivago, to film some comedy in London with Audrey Hepburn.

So Omar Sharif, supporting actor in Lawrence of Arabia, got the lead in Dr. Zhivago. I saw that movie as a high school kid, with my girlfriend Mary, and that film just blew my socks off! What a great movie. I have watched it a dozen times on tv and I have it on dvd. Julie Christie, yessir!
    I also love Lean's movie from the fifties, Bridge on the River Kwai.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    :mrgreen:

Russian literature...

Where for 900 pages people you don't care about do nothing your interested in - everyone suffers - then somebodies aunt dies.

Mike