In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

GI paperwork doubles the value?

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
edited November 2019 in General Discussion
This S&W 39 in excellent condtion is offered for $3,625

This one that might be stolen from the Navy but has a Jinks letter and background documents has an asking price of $7,900

One time at a gun show I saw a beat-to-hell Browning High Power with a $700 price tag. I asked about it. The VC had captured it and converted it to 7.62x25 but as I recall the seller did not have any documentation.
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Folks are bidding on the M39 :shock:
    RLTW

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not exactly apples to apples.

The steel frame M39 is well known to collectors as a scarce model. Started at $.01, it is a true auction & the selling price will reflect the actual value.

As for the Navy M39, I am waiting to see if if the seller provides readable evidence of its sale by the US Government. ("Provenance" is documentation of the legal transfers of an item.) Or, if it doesn't sell at the listed price, will it be relisted at a lower price?

BTW, I sent a suggestion to the President that he order the Dept of Justice to put their "Stolen Gun" file online, so that anyone can look up a gun that they want to buy. So far, no reply.

Neal
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nmyers wrote:
    Started at $.01, it is a true auction & the selling price will reflect the actual value.

I had not noticed the penny start,

About 20 years ago I passed on a Model 39 at $200. My S&W collection was all wheel guns.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I started working in the gunshop in highschool in the late 80's veterans bring back paperwork was virtually non existent - unobtainium...

Other than the paperwork my father had for arms he purchased from the government I only once had a gun come into the shop with such ephemera...

Even DCM - CMP guns rarely arrived with a paper trail.

We did get tons of vet bring back pieces and CMP pieces and uniform groupings and trench art and such fair but the history was word of mouth only...

Vet bring back documentation would easily double the value on many guns.

The only non CMP item I have with such a paper trail is the .236 Lee navy bayonet recovered from the wreck of the uss Maine and disposed of to bannermans...

I paid $300.00 for it in 2000 and I imagine it's worth ten times that.

Big catalogued auction houses get such items from big collectors but you rarely see them online.

I have a French MAC 1950 marked "2 REP" that was part of a lot imported from Vietnam after the Vietnamese consolidated their armed forces by absorbing local warlord and mercenary forces - forcing them to turn in their weapons and be equipped properly...

It's been authenticated by the author of proud promise - but has no paper work.

Such is life.

Mike
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The seller wrote:

"Thanks for the question. I don?t know how he was able to keep it. I have the letter from SW showing it was sent to Coronado and I have the issue papers showing it was issued to the Captain in 1967."