In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Went golfing yesterday

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2019 in General Discussion
1st time in 20 years :shock:

I was a pretty good golfer when I was a in HS, my Dad was a scratch Golfer, he taught me a lot and I even took lessons. Played into my 20's then quit for about 10 years. Then I picked it up again and got back in the swing so to speak and played for about 7 more years. I got to where I had a pretty good all around game and a really good short game. I could drove the ball straight and sometimes really long.

I played in the high70's to mid 80's.......................Ok for a duffer.

20 years later

My FIL like to play but he sucks. My SIL and BIL are just starting out so everyone but my wife are going to play golf and the want me to come along.............I say WTH.

So I meet them at the course and I get there 1 hr early so I can hit some balls and practice putting. I start out with a 5 iron and work my way through my old bag. I was surprised it came back to me.

I figured I would really suck but I got it back fairly quickly. I cannot hit as far as I used to but I was hitting it straight and maybe 30 yds less than I used to with the long Irons and 3/4 as far with my driver and 3 wood, my short Irons I was right on the money.

My Pitching and putting was really good.

Its surprising that a skill can return after so many years.............

So we played a round and played Best ball. We used my Drive every time except once. I made par on 7 holes 2 of them par 5's bogeyed the rest and had 3 double bogeys(all long par 4 holes). I didn't loose a ball and I played from the White T was never in a sand trap or the water.

I had a really good time. I had a cart to myself, drank 5 beers and smoked a good cigar ;)

It was fun.
RLTW

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to admit it but I am a lousy golfer. But I never devoted much time to it either so it's my fault.

I have a great admiration for golfers who can drive a ball straight, no matter the distance. The muscle memory always returns after priming the pump a little bit, especially when your skill level was high in the first place.

Glad you had a great day of enjoyment and being with your family is the best part.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Its funny but I thought I was going to really be bad, hooking and slicing hitting worm burners off the T, missing easy puts.

The bad thing was my last Game I played I was 40, now I am 60, that 20 years is a BIG 20 years much more so than say from 20 to 40.

I freely admit I am not 1/2 the man I was at 40 years old.
    RLTW

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think golf is the only sport you can play that no matter your score, high or low, there is no one to blame but yourself, and as per the not hitting as far as you used to, that is what the senior tees are for..... ;)
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love the game, but I'm inconsistent. Any swing can be good, bad, or ugly. I was never good at "large muscle" actions but do have good small muscle control. That's what made me a decent shot and pilot.

I play more now than ever, and that may be why I'm playing the best golf of my life at age 72. It's my favorite exercise and I walk the course twice a week, playing 18 in three hours on the nose. Barring slow groups ahead of me, naturally.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I enjoy playing but thoroughly suck at the game. It seems like one shot in ten goes where I want it. That's the one that keeps me coming back for more though!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I used to really be into it. Like I said my Dad was really good. He played for money, sometimes big money. He would take me golfing and really critique every shot and swing and make me do it until I got it right.

I started out at 13, my Dad got me a set of irons and cheapo bag. He would not let me hit a driver until I was older. I tee,ed off with a 3 or 4 iron and played from there. He would look at the distance and ask me what club, if it was 100 yds he wanted me to hit a 9 iron or maybe an 8. So he instilled in me to use the right club for the shot. When I started using a driver I started with a 3 wood and never on the fairway.

By the time I was 16 or so I was pretty good. Me and Dad would play other pairs and crush them(mostly because my Dad was so good) but I held up my end.

My FIL is 80 and he started late in life and learned the wrong way. He took some lessons but at that age and you have been doing it wrong its hard to break the habit. He had a good time but his swing looks like he should be chopping wood with an Axe. :lol:

I may just start back playing.
    RLTW