In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I got albino babies

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
While moving the small fries in to larger grow out tank I came across three albino baby peacock cichlids. It's odd being that I don't have any albinos. One of the female (what I bought as) "strawberry" might be albino adjacent. While trying to figure out who might be albino the suspect fish is again holding eggs in her mouth. Time to go strip and in a few weeks I'll know if I got more albino babies since it'll take that long to tell.

Well time to pick out a few DVDs as background distractions while I go fishing.

Comments

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does that make them better eating :lol:
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heck no, asop. You should know that once you go dark you won't go back. :D
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I opened that door and you had to go thru it :x
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not like me asop, but I just couldn't resist.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,389 ******
    edited November -1
    You might find that old movie "Mr. Limpet" starring Don Knotts interesting Yosh! :D It would go well with your aquatic adventures!
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better albino baby fish troubles in his tank...

Than albino baby mama drama - taking all his bank.

Sorry - had to be done - could not resist.

Mike
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yosh, albinism is a recessive trait, so you have a male and a female that appear "normal" but are carrying the recessive genes for albinism. No big mystery.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    cbxjeff - I believe the saying is "once you go "Jap" you can't go back" :lol::lol::lol:.
    He Dog wrote:
    Yosh, albinism is a recessive trait, so you have a male and a female that appear "normal" but are carrying the recessive genes for albinism. No big mystery.

Well the mystery is the male. I'm wondering if the male was one of her sons? The last breeding I believe I had one dominant male but I suppose one of the males done got sneaky like Thomas Jefferson. This time around I got three dominant males and one or all could be her sons. This whole thing is like cats :lol::lol::lol:.

All I have to say is this year they were busy making babies. I must got close to 150 babies? And I got three females still holding. One of them just got a mouthful yesterday. So maybe 4 girls holding? I need to do a head count.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yosh, on average if you have both a male and a female they are heterozygous, that is they carry both normal and albino genes, you will get 25% albino babies. In fish it is complicated by genes for other color states and poly genes which affect the expression of the colors. In this case you might have a female which is heterozygous, and a male off spring of that female and a male homozygous for normal color in which case he would carry 25% albino genes, which should give you 12.5% albino off spring. The actual production is often a little different from the mathematical prediction, because gene combinations are kind of a crap shoot with a number of factors affecting the actual combination of egg and sperm.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah I figured the "het" bit on the female and the male had to be related to her. And the spawns in my tank are like "alley cat" kittens some looking like mom or dad and somewhere inbetween. I was just surprised with the three albinos popping out in the mix.

Next year before the spring I'll take out the three dominant males out and place the original back or see which males will step up. Don't want too much close breeding or I'll get "Water World" situation :D.