In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

States that need a FFL for Black Powder Guns

weltechweltech Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited December 2019 in Ask the Experts
Help I made the mistake of buying Black Powder Rifle from a state that needed a FFL. Does have a list of States that need a FFL.
Or at least let me know if your State does ( Name of State)
Thanks
Don

Comments

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New Jersey. But the seller can ship it to your FFL without going thru one there. Then your FFL can treat it however.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a good question. (about list of states that require BP guns FFL before the seller ships to a buyer)

I always ask the GB seller before I bid if they require a FFL for their BP gun to be shipped.

My state to receive does not require but some states require such before shipping. :o:o
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Illinois you need to go through and FFL. To BUY a black power firearm. If I wanted to sell it to a private individual I would have go through a FFL to transfer it. Now as for selling it to an FFL. I can just sell it to him. Now as far as selling it to someone in another state I would have to go by the rules of that state where I?m selling it or shipping it. Now if you bought it from some one out of state, they may only be willing to ship to an FFL. To be on the safe side, that way their * is covered, even if your state does not require an FFL. for black powder firearms.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am informed that Michigan does not require a FFL for transfer of black powder firearms (assuming you mean muzzle loaders). There are modern made muzzle loaders that can interchange barrels to modern ammunition and those do require a FFL to transfer.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    The 5 boroughs of NY City require an FFL but the rest of the state is ok - so far.
  • Options
    Ozzie50Ozzie50 Member Posts: 12
    edited November -1
    It is legal in NY to sell of receive a muzzleloader without an FFL. Just before i closed my shop in NY they passed a law that a felon could not be in possession of a BP gun but there was NO background check required. I didn't know if person buying was or was not a felon. I could not get an answer from BATF on the requirement of using the 4473 BGC form.