In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BRNO 21 H

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in Ask the Experts
Just bought a BRNO 21 H in 8mm Mauser. The rifle has what I think are dovetail front bridge and rear with a locking cut on the left bridge for a stud in the rear scope ring. Does this rifle take standard CZ 550 rings or something slightly different? Am not certain if 16mm or 19mm base would apply. Blue Book references post 1949 models with dovetail receiver as 20mm, so am SWAG that 19mm is the one.

The rifle has a butter-knife bolt handle with no cutout for slipping under a scope's rear bell. Should I be looking at medium or high rings? I plan on using a period scope, probably a Lyman or Kollmorgan with a fairly trim optic.

Any info on what the gun likes for reloads or adjusting the double set trigger appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Google found images of said rifle with scopes. Most look like tall rings to me. There should be a screw to turn in to lighten the sear engagement. I love the double set trigger on my Newton rifle. I set them so a good solid thump of the butt on the floor doesn't trip them. I don't walk around with them set.

I like the Lyman cast bullet 323470 with Unique for trigger time. I usually slow them down to work without the gas checks. All jacket bullets do well in military Mauser. 4895 or 3031 because it was cheap or I have lots.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep in mind that Kollmorgan scopes are 26mm so it might be a bit more difficult to find rings.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Talley used to make rings for the bridge mounts on those, still might, I haven't checked. Some have gotten away with using medium high rings with vintage scopes that have a small ocular bell.