In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

USNS Milk

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2022 in Politics
You know we are done when the USN names a Ship after a guy who got an other than honorable discharge and was a happy.

I feel like puking.

The hell with Harvey Milk.

So many other worthy candidates to have a ship named after them but in today's jacked up world this is what they came up with :x
RLTW

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is he the mayor guy who got shot in Frisco. I remember that name. Guess google,,hell USS Milk? Ben better even if it was USS Bush Sr.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    His death brought us Dianne Frankenstein. Not seeing much of her these days, its seems the only way we are going to get TERM LIMITS is those assigned at birth. Maybe a package deal of her and Ruth BS Gasbag going away at the same time.

Truth in advertising it would be Milk Toast, or politically correct Mild Chocolate Milk.
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I were in the Navy, I'd be ashamed to be assigned to the USS Milk.
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,382 ******
    edited November -1
    I can just see all the bar fights that will ensue when the crew gets shore leave! Being called "Milk Men" by some Army guy at the pub will surely get things started! :lol:

I would be Udderly disappointed to be assigned to that ship!
  • Options
    gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not the USS Milk but rather the USNS Milk. It's hard to believe they would do this but I imagine in this new Navy there may be some who would like to serve on such a ship.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Your right it is USNS I was so PO'ed I forgot ;)
    RLTW

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a fleet oiler.

Somehow appropriate.

Milk served before don't ask don't tell, and was given an OTH because he was gay.

He was discovered for activities unrelated to his service.

When I was in, there was a don't ask, don't care policy. We had a couple of guys who probably would have been kicked out had they served during Milk's time. They did their job, did not bother anyone, and did not wear their sexuality on their sleeve.

The naming is a statement of apology for forcing otherwise qualified people out of the military during that era.

Yes, there are many people the ship could have been named for that contributed more to the USN than Harvey Milk, but to get bent out of shape over this seems to be going out of one's way to find something by which to be offended.

Flame on. ;)
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I served during the militaries don't ask, don't want to know time, and knew a few who were discharged for being gay, though they did bring it on themselves using their rank to gain favors. and I am sure the other gay servicemen from all the different branches may have been offended by this policy, but they knew that going into it. Now they want to throw their lifestyle in my face at every turn and I find that offensive. what you do and who you do it with is your business and I could care less, when you throw it in my face and demand special rights, it becomes mine and I will tell you what I think about it.
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make room for me sam...I'm going to puke.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No flame from me but I am bent out of shape.
    The naming is a statement of apology for forcing otherwise qualified people out of the military during that era

That bends me out of shape too. Why is an apology needed? It was a policy of all the armed forces. I served from No Happy's to DADT to You can ask I can tell and it doesn't matter to I am a Happy and I am going to marry my boyfriend(like the commander of the Band at Ft Bragg did).

I think I can find about 1 million people who served in the USN to name a ship after other than a guy who was kicked out for violating USN Policy. He was an Officer and if he could not follow and up hold that policy he should have resigned his commission. Because he would have held his subordinates to that same policy and if he could not he could not do his job effectively and again should have resigned.

This class of ship is the Lewis Class, named after John Lewis who was a despicable representative of Baltimore and did nothing for his constituents except whine and cry raysist so I guess it is applicable to name a ship of this class after someone like Milk.................But I don't have to like it
    RLTW

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As noted, I too think there are better candidates for whom to name a ship.

It just does not seem like a big enough deal to get worked up over.

It is a support ship, for heaven's sake and is manned primarily by a civilian crew.

If you want to get worked up, how about a carrier named after the tyrant Abraham Lincoln, symbolizing the projection of tyranny the world over, forcing what should be sovereign peoples to our form of government?

Just like, well, Abraham Lincoln.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    As noted, I too think there are better candidates for whom to name a ship.

It just does not seem like a big enough deal to get worked up over.

It is a support ship, for heaven's sake and is manned primarily by a civilian crew.

If you want to get worked up, how about a carrier named after the tyrant Abraham Lincoln, symbolizing the projection of tyranny the world over, forcing what should be sovereign peoples to our form of government?

Just like, well, Abraham Lincoln.

Nevermind.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    how about a carrier named after the tyrant Abraham Lincoln

I would rather see it named after a tyrant and killer than a Happy who broke his oath. Maybe USNS Ming the Merciless would be a good name to strike fear in the enemy ;) But the USNS Harvey Milk, at least its not a combat ship. The motto might be; "Pull up and tap your toe we will stick it in and pump you full"

A Aircraft Carrier is a fighting ship would the USS Calvin Coolidge be a better name? I think he is just about the only POTUS who's term was not marked with some type of violence against someone, some tribe or some country(well maybe Haiti and DR but he was pulling the troops out).
    RLTW

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,083 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe with this naming they'll get more recruits? I wonder if they'll play "In The Navy" 24/7 on that boat?

charliemeyer007 - Yeah we still got that old bat. If only the shooter only knew which one was worse... We may not have gotten newsome now. I wonder what that parallel universe is like? Solid RED California with secure air tight border?
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hillbille wrote:
    what you do and who you do it with is your business and I could care less, when you throw it in my face and demand special rights, it becomes mine and I will tell you what I think about it.

What he said: ^^^^.

Sadly, so many do wear it on their sleeve and everywhere else with gay parades, gay day, gays in the movies with quite explicit activities, in commercials and all over the TV in nearly every show. IMO, it's disgusting, immoral and sinful. Others can have a different opinion, I've expressed mine as have a right to do via the 2nd amendment !
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock: