In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

investment quality stocking stuffer

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
went by the gas station yesterday for a burger. the owner lady was busy selling lots of lottery tickets to people who looked like they really couldn't afford them, so the Ms. lottery is working as planned. Anyway i had a brilliant thought, i thought. i bought everyone with a stocking at my house a scratch off for a stocking stuffer, even the grand kids. i figure we can then all gather around, scratch them off, and see who gets to retire early. :lol::lol::lol:

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,732 ******
    edited November -1
    My wife has done that for several years, now.
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well being mississippi we only got the lottery a couple of months ago.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I attach them to all the adult gifts and have a cash stash to pay out all the "winners." My daughter got a 100 once and my son a 50 but nothing ground shaking. Everyone loves to scratch them though.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,650 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we have done that for many years now even give them out at work to co-workers ( I retired but my wife still does )
    sometimes as just the gift and sometimes as just a add on present with a chance to win
    I have often wondered though If I gave away what turned out to be say a 50 to 100k ticket what the feelings would be :o:o:o
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we have done that for many years now even give them out at work to co-workers ( I retired but my wife still does )
    sometimes as just the gift and sometimes as just a add on present with a chance to win
    I have often wondered though If I gave away what turned out to be say a 50 to 100k ticket what the feelings would be :o:o:o

Good point- we have a family "agreement' that anything over one k is split among the group-
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    scratchers as an investment. What did I expect from a guy who goes to a gas station for a burger? :lol:

Merry Christmas, hope you win a pile! :D
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Giving lottery tickets to children at Christmas is a fantastic way of teaching them about the lottery.

It gives the an opportunity to learn that the lottery is an effective method to spend money and - often - receive nothing in return.

:lol:
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Giving lottery tickets to children at Christmas is a fantastic way of teaching them about the lottery.

It gives the an opportunity to learn that the lottery is an effective method to spend money and - often - receive nothing in return.

+1

My wife likes the scratch off ones so I got her $30 worth this year. She "won" $27 :lol:

But she had fun and that is all that counts.
    RLTW

• Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:

+1

My wife likes the scratch off ones so I got her $30 worth this year. She "won" $27 :lol:

But she had fun and that is all that counts.

It is very easy to have fun with other people's money.

• Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fun gift for.sure.
    But, I'm too selfish. If someone won large, I'd want a large piece. Like most of it! Never claimed to be generous!
    Also, I consider the lottery a tax on the willing!
  • Options
    76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The past few days the local gas stations have had almost as many people buying scratch off lottery tickets as fuel. Three days ago I was buying fuel and the lady at the front of the line must have gotten at least three dozen, as the clerk was folding the tickets over several times just to manage them. The lady offered to let the three gals in front of me go ahead, since she was planning to buy more tickets! They declined, as they were all in line to buy tickets as well! The clerk told me to come to the front and pay since I had purchased fuel, the lottery ticket purchasers could wait. I would guess that there are nearly 50 different lottery tickets for sale in the display, and probably 1/3 of those were empty. Probably all the tickets are gone by now. Very common to see people spend $150-200 in each visit on lottery tickets this time of the year. Wow
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,077 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:
    My wife has done that for several years, now.
    Long time tradition at our home as well.