In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sometimes... Good intentions go awry.

retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
I sent out four group texts to 20 individuals today to wish the Merry CHRISTmas...
I took the moment to click OFF the group conversation so that each individual would receive a text without getting a 'common' text.

Somehow... technology out witted me and the group texts went out exactly as that, a "Group" conversation, even though I click that feature OFF.

Well all was well until a couple "smarter than most" took it upon themselves to respond in a not so Merry Way... And it what started out as a truly sincere sentiment went downhill from there.

It's all on me. I know that. But damn... why do people that I count as friends and family act like that?

Maybe it's time for me to take an accounting of who I actually list as friends and family.

Geesh... Now I feel I need to send out individual texts or make phone calls to apologize for the mishap.
Or maybe those who I do believe are true friends and family will just brush it off and ignore the issue.

I still feel lower than a pregnant ant right now. What an evening... Geesh!

Comments

• Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well if a couple took great offense, send a short explanation of how texts were sent , apologize for your error , and tell them they will never receive any other mail from you.......
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good old Modern Technology!
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, in other words, you are off my list. Done and gone. Not enough time in life to deal with that kind of people, imo. MERRY CHRISTMAS!
  • Options
    HessianHessian Member Posts: 248
    edited November -1
    I'm not much on gossip, I rarely partake. I seldom say anything to a third party I wouldn't say to a person's face. One of the rare exceptions was when I smeared a relative to a third party and then hit the send all button by mistake. :oops:
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wiplash wrote:
    Good old Modern Technology!

Yep.

I find that it's best to just not reply back. They get the message when you don't respond. (when you were trying to be nice and things go awry as you say)

I also have a Xhit list (and this is not a xmas list) for the awry kind of people. ;)
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Next time send them a card.

;)
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    Next time send them a card.

;)

Believe me... That would have been the best thing to do.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Their message says all about them that needs be said. Just take them off your list. And a very fine Christmas to you and all here.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Well... after extensive "testing" this morning using the wife's phone in conjunction with a willing family member... I believe I've figured out what went hair wire in this scenario.

It seems, that once you've clicked the "Group Conversation" feature off, you can not go back in to the text and do ANYTHING. If you do, the text reverts back to it's default configuration and any switch you've turned OFF or ON (based on it's original setting) gets reversed.

This must be what happened. I remember rereading the text and correcting a miss-spelling. Then hit send without checking that the text was 'still' NOT to be a group text.

So a word to the wise... careful using technology lest it becomes technobabble and embarrassing.

Damn technology... :oops: I'm going to stick with good 'ol yesteryear tech.
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me give you some very frank advice:

If you think you have a lot a friends you are fooling yourself.

If you think you have a really good friend (or friends) you are fooling yourself.

The difference between a true friend and an acquantaince is both will stab you in the back but only a true friend will hesitate before twisting the knife.

I explained this to my daughter many years ago when she thought she had many dear friends. She called me a bitter old man.
    Now, she calls about once a year and calls me a wise old man.

Only if you keep my advice in the back of your mind...with everyone you deal with (including family) do you stand a chance of keeping your back (and heart) relatively scar-free.

Spouses included.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    neacpaneacpa Member Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never send out group texts and my family knows never to include me in a group text. If my family/friends are important to me then I can take a few extra seconds and send them an individual text one at a time. Just forward the original text if need be.

All it takes is a dummy and a group text can go south very quickly.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,702 ******
    edited November -1
    bustedknee wrote:
    Let me give you some very frank advice:

If you think you have a lot a friends you are fooling yourself.

If you think you have a really good friend (or friends) you are fooling yourself.

The difference between a true friend and an acquantaince is both will stab you in the back but only a true friend will hesitate before twisting the knife.

I explained this to my daughter many years ago when she thought she had many dear friends. She called me a bitter old man.
    Now, she calls about once a year and calls me a wise old man.

Only if you keep my advice in the back of your mind...with everyone you deal with (including family) do you stand a chance of keeping your back (and heart) relatively scar-free.

Spouses included.
    Sad, but true.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well it could have been worse. You could have been sending it to your girlfriend and accidentally clicked on your wife's address. :shock: I joke but damn that would be like armageddon. Gives me cold chills just thinking about it. :D
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No good deed goes unpunished.

My Aunt called me and gave me crap for not giving my Dad a Christmas present. He has dementia and is in GA. I went down to see him last week and gave him his presents and cards, spent the week with him like I do every month and took him out to eat and around town. I forgot to inform her sorry * so she called me to tell me what a disappointment I am to her :evil:

I told her what I did and what I gave him then told her to F**k off and not call me unless it was an emergency. Then told her to let me talk to my Dad. After I talked to him he gave her the phone back and she said she couldn't believe I would talk to her that way. I told her again to f**k off and I told her she had ruined my Xmas. I have been dealing with her for 2 years and I am done. MY brother hasn't talked or communicated in any way with Dad for 3 years. I told if she wanted to give someone some grief call him, no wonder shes been divorced 3 times and all her husbands cheated on her.
    RLTW

• Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam, I like your style.
    Some people I swear just sit around d day after day looking for something to complain about or rub their self thought "superiority" in your face.
    Just post a topic or send a text or email in caps once and see how offended some snow flakes can get!
    MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!