In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

KenK/84Bravo

Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
Was in your area today. Took a Christmas roadtrip over to South Holsten lake, stopped at the dam and the aereating roller dams. Then took The Snake over to Mountain City. Back over to Watauga lake, then to Sycamore Shoals and back to Jonesborough. Beautiful sunny day for a 113 mile drive and some hiking. The mountain roads near you are quite a thrill, found myself giggling at every hairpin turn. If I was nearer to retirement I think i would find land there, but for now have to commute to Jonesborough and Bristol.
Been down here now since late September, so far it is everything I had hoped for. Go hiking every weekend and do a lot of road trips. Went ATV riding at Windrock near Oakridge last Friday. Amazing place. 77000 acre private off road park. ATV's, UTV's, dirt bikes, Jeeps, mountains bikes, shooting range etc. Well worth checking out.

Comments

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the post. Yeah some pretty crazy roads/curves around here. The "Snake," (421) from Mtn. City to Bristol has to be experienced. Every time I drive it, I think Holy Sheeit. You should do it in/after a heavy snow. In the summer time it turns in to a Motorcycle mecca. Mega accidents there, when new riders or even experienced riders are over their head or come in too hot to some turns they have never experienced before. If you look closely, you can see the gouges in the pavement on those super sharp curves where bike after bike has been down.

Glad you had a good drive. Some really pretty scenery around here. I would recommend driving over to Boone, NC, and on over to Linville Gorge, Banner Elk, Blowing Rock, Grandfather Mountain, Roan Mountain, etc. For some really beautiful scenery. Not to be missed.

We will have to meet up one of these days.
  • Options
    Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We are actually going to Boone NC tomorrow, to look at a car for my wife. And we have already been to Grandfather Mountain and Roan Mountain. My wife sent me info about Linville Gorge and Blowing Rock, so they are on our list. We did DuPont national forest 2 weekends ago and then some of the Blue Ridge Parkway. This area has SO MUCH to see! thank you for the additional input. And yes we need to meet up, we aren't far apart.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you Ski, there are some Great resorts all around the Boone area. Some of the best skiing in the Eastern US. I have ski'd about all of them.

One of the perks of being the Manager of a very large Outdoor Equipment Store, was free skiing at pretty much any resort you could name as a reciprocal arrangement for posting their brochures and ski Snow reports. I took full advantage of it for over 20 years.