In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Clean,busy,neat lil ole town;

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,064 ******
edited January 2020 in General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just like "Chicago or Detroit." Just ask JJ. :roll:

Thanks Joe. I live about 7-10 miles outside of town, headed towards Copperhead Road.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    montanajoe wrote:

Towards the end of that video, when the camera totates to the right and starts to top that highest rise/mountain, (basically the Mountain you are looking at at the very beginning of the video.) I live back that way a few miles in the Mountains. Beautiful place.

Thanks Joe, I had not seen that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    was surprised to find several videos online. Reminds me of Missouri when you get out of the cities, especially around the Ozarks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I appreciate you posting those. I had not seen either one of those. You are about 10 miles from NC, and about 10 miles from VA. there. Extreme NE tip of TN.

You know, just like "Detroit or Chicago," Right JJ? ;)
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,702 ******
    edited November -1
    I?ve been through there on my motorcycle. Beautiful country. We rode the Blue Ridge Parkway down to Grandfather Mountain. Came back on 321/421 to I-77. Is Tweetsy Railroad still in Boone?
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried to buy a home there about 12 years ago when I first retired.

First, almost overnight, oodles of "public" hunting land disappeared when TN gave up the leases with private landowners.

2nd, local real estate concerns were playing loosie-goosie with properties. I was told later that properties were being snatched up to be resold for great profits as a bedroom community to Boone. Apparenty someone had insider knowledge of college expansions in Boone.

We loved the area and the fact TN does not tax retirement income was a major drawing card. However, sales tax is higher (than in VA) to make up the difference. So we planned to do our shopping in Abingdon, VA.

But as usually happens, things worked out and we found exactly what we wanted...except for this deranged governor.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,609 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for posting

I was born and spent the first few years of my life in Tennessee ( Jellico .) Tazwell Powell valley ) area most of the relatives lived growing up we would go back "home " several times a year to visit family
    I would not know any of them now sadly . but honest we ( wife and I ) still love to go for drive's thru the mountains just beautiful and calming ;)
  • Options
    EELLEELL Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny you should mention Mtn City, Tn, I watched one of those :Who Done It: murder mysteries last nite that took place in Mtn City around 2015. Seems the father, mother and daughter conspired to kill another man and his wife. Had to do with their daughters jealousy of another man. She devised a plan on the internet to make it appear they were threatening her. Dad got mad and killed them both. Now whole family is doing life in prison.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    EELL wrote:
    Funny you should mention Mtn City, Tn, I watched one of those :Who Done It: murder mysteries last nite that took place in Mtn City around 2015. Seems the father, mother and daughter conspired to kill another man and his wife. Had to do with their daughters jealousy of another man. She devised a plan on the internet to make it appear they were threatening her. Dad got mad and killed them both. Now whole family is doing life in prison.

It should have referenced Johnson County, not Mtn. City. It did not take place in town, but a considerable distance outside it. (Johnson County is quite large.) It is known as "The Facebook Murders." It was a tragedy as the two killed were good people. The other Family - not so much.

It started when the two who were killed removed the girl, (who had been harrasing them) from their "Friend" status on Facebook. The Girl felt insulted, and made a big deal out of it to her Family. They went off the rails over nothing. A tragedy.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your the one that said a fair amount of people simply disappeared in Johnson County and that it was well documented. That soundsl a lot like Chicago and Detroit to me?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, It's Just like that JJ. :roll:

You nailed it. :lol:
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    montanajoe wrote:
    Reminds me of Missouri when you get out of the cities, especially around the Ozarks.

I love the Ozarks area of extreme eastern OK, into AR, and then on into MO. Some of my favorite driving. Probably doesn't hurt I grew up in S.W. Mo just off the foothills of the Ozarks. One of our favorite places to go is Roaring River state park and trout hatchery.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is a really nice place to live.