In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BobJudy -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
That safe you assemble we were talking about - the "First Watch," is made by Homak Security.

I believe I paid about $200 (thereabouts) for it. It weighs about 100# but can be bolted down to the floor/or back wall. As I said before, it is rated as an "8 gun safe." You would be lucky to get 6 in it. Two 3/4" chromed locking rods on the side of the door, one more top and bottom, for a total of four.

Has an S&G electronic lock, with a tubular key override. (Or quick entry.)

Sportsmansguide had a bunch of them a couple years ago. I wanted an overflow safe, and something small for the Living room.

I know there a some high end larger units and Companies out there. I have read some very good reviews on/about them. I was looking for something small.

Good luck.

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ken I weigh my safe down with lead shot. I have about 400#'s of lead shot in the bottom of the safe with the guns and some other crap in there 2 men cannot move it. I never bolted mine down because I was moving so much.

Those smaller safes are nice but they are what they are. They keep burglars out unless the burglars have time to take the whole safe or have time to beat it open in the house.

I have a friend who is a fireman and he told me he has never seen a safe keep guns from being damaged in a house fire that consumes the house. Even the highly rated fire resistant safes.

I think when the safe company's rate a safe for X amount of rifles the use single shot shotguns as the standard. When you add rifles with scopes it cuts into the capacity.
    RLTW

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Sam. I am well aware of the limitations of a small inexpensive safe. I figure it was better than leaving the overflow out of the safe. Much more secure than a "Gun Cabinet." I was pleased with how beefy, heavy and well made it seemed for the $$.

My main safe is a Cannon 36 Widebody. Weighs about 1000# empty. It took four of us to move it a total of about 15-20 feet, empty. It is bolted to the floor and the back wall.

My Pit might have something to say about anyone being in my house. The few people that I have allowed to be in my house without me being there, (repairmen) told me "Holy Sheeit, your dog was scaring the ever loving Crap out of me. I kept looking at the cage thinking I hope that dog can not get out." While in his large metal Lion cage.

As strong/muscular as he is, he could probably do it, if he Really wanted to. These "repairmen," were people who had met my dog, played with him and gave him love the day before coming back while I was not present.

Having worked Construction before, I know (even with some heavy duty safes,) given a couple high end cordless tools (DeWalt etc.) A drill with a 3/8 bit, and a Sawzall with several metal cutting blades, I could get in (make a door in the side) in fairly short order. Everything can be defeated.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Ken, I'll check them out. I have a couple of bigger fire rated safes but somehow I need another and was hoping to get a modular one to put in a place that would be difficult to get a safe to otherwise. You are right about how safes keep honest people and lazy crooks out. I probably should have a safe to put all of the tools in around here that they could use to defeat my gun safes. I bet most of us are in the same situation. Bob