In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Went Golfing again

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
Well after my 20+ year break in playing Golf I have played 4 times and I have come to several conclusions.

1. I suck but I don't suck all the time.

2. When I stopped playing I was 38 or 39 and in really good shape. I am 59 now in reasonably good shape but I am not 1/2 the man I used to be.

3. Forget the driver and the tall Irons. 3,4,5 Irons are all but useless to me and I cannot get enough club head speed to make my driver work. My Driver is an old Yonnex from the 90's set up for a 30 y/o stud not a almost 60 y/o dud. I am thinking of getting a new driver with a "Senior" flex shaft :oops:

4. I do like playing though and my short game is really pretty good. Putting and pitching and inside 150 yds I am not too bad.

This last round I birdied 3 holes, 2 short par 4's and par 5. I am putting good and I got out of the sand with no problems. BUT I had several double bogies. I shot a 91 :o but I was kind of happy I broke 100 and that was with a 2 stroke pen for driving one in the water. I allowed 3 mulligans per side and used them all. I played with my SIL and BIL along with their 17 y/o son. We had a good time on a beautiful day, I smoked a nice cigar and drank 4 PBR's.
RLTW

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will now catch a load of flack about golf - inevitably including some wit who quotes that Twain line.

But golf is a great sport. A true sport, btw, not just some silly game like football. Fresh air, whole-body exercise, beautiful landscaping - and the hardest game ever invented. We keep playing because we remember those good and great shots, knowing that that's our true potential and wondering why we can't do it every swing.

Go get fitted with new clubs. The technology is light years ahead of your old Yonex, and proper fitting will adjust the clubs to the current you. And then enjoy!
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 rocky, golf is one of the few games you can't blame anyone but yourself for your failures and your acheivements.....
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've bought four sets of golf clubs and several needed single clubs. But I've never played a round. I've bought clubs for my sons and they play. I figure I've got enough expensive time consuming hobbies without adding another one. If I started playing I'd just naturally have to get good enough to beat some folks, or at least make them play their A game against me. That would take time away from other things I already spend to little time at.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam, Golf is a great game and three birdies in a single round is very good. I love golf, it is one of the few sports that I can still beat my son (sometimes). Now that my first grandson is due in April I hope we will be playing three generation golf together in just a few years.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies and positive thoughts.

RR I have a nice set of Irons that fit me really good. They are PING eye black dots and are really forgiving. I am thinking about looking at a Taylor Made M6 driver. I need to practice with my long irons more but I am hitting my 3 wood pretty good.

Austin I used to be fairly good so its kind of frustrating to play so bad. The problem right now like in shooting is consistency. I am consistent with my short irons and like I said I am putting pretty good.

Scout I understand your feelings. I have culled my gun stuff so much that I have room to move around some. I got rid of probably 30 guns or more and have at least that many left.

I stared golfing when I was 12 and was pretty good by the time I was 15. From 15 to 21 I was really good(low 80's high 70's) then I quit for about 10 years. I picked it back up but I wasn't golfing all the time due to deployments and training missions but I got my swing back and played in the high 80's. Then I quit again for 20 years and now I am back at it. I use the white t-box even though I am considered a senior I am not going to use the senior t-box until I have too.

My Dad was a scratch golfer and he taught me a lot. He loved playing for money and won a few bucks. In 1978 he was playing in a tournament that the company he worked for was one of the sponsors. He got a hole in one and won a 1978 Mercury Capri. He drove it home and gave it to my Mom, she loved it. He said that HIO messed up the rest of his playing he double bogie'd the next hole and he came in 12th or so even with it.
    RLTW

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll love the Taylormade driver. Mine's a M3 and they're even better now. I'm about to turn 73 and I walk my local course twice a week. With any luck and only a little cheating I may shoot my age this year.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    THREE BIRDS, was one the windmill? :lol: .. I catch the flack here when I used to talk golf and such. Well there was a few members that was going to shoot my golf balls out of the air when I drive, BUT, I challenged all of them for a $100 per ball and all I got was crickets. Golf is a great game and after making 2 bad shots and then you get that sweet one and lands about 3 feet from the pin for a bird, it feels great. Course I 2 putt from 3 feet/ :lol::lol::lol: 92 is good and you will drop another 5 strokes when you ditch the antique clubs. I mean to say. Yes, medium flex will help. imo. My son did the golf thing in college and is quite good. He started beating my * as a freshman in high school. :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol::lol::lol:

BTW, loudmouths, still waiting same bet. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One funny thing happened yesterday. I forgot I had my gun on my belt. I have a IWB holster and I was carrying a G26. It started out cold so I had a vest on that covered the gun. Well it warmed up I took off the vest and kind of forgot about my gun. My nephew saw it and didn't say anything but when we rounded the front 9 I went in the snake shop to get a beer and a hotdog. No one said anything but my nephew said the lady behind the counter saw it.

So I untucked my shirt to cover it up.

Then I figure maybe it would help my swing to take it off. I took it off got the bullet out of the chamber and put it and the holster in my golf bag.

No difference ;)

Anyone here golf armed?
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    Yea, in my bag. I keep it. Not the only one
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,498 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love the game, Sam, and hope you get back to where it is less frustrating for you.

Have a Sunday group that played our last round of the year this past Sunday. Shot an 80 on a par 73 links style course, but left a lot of shots on the course, and should have been a few shots lower.

Going into semi-retirement next year, so should get three round in a week. Have worked myself down to an 8 handicap, and look for it to drop a few more as I will be playing at least 2 rounds per week and probably 3.

There is nothing I enjoy more than an early morning 4 - 5 mile walk with friends, a beer or two, and a common interest that brings out the best in all of us.

Have fun.

So far as carrying, I keep my carry piece in my golf bag at my home course. We have bear, elk, and moose on the course, and when walking, one cannot outrun any of them.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you need to forget about "PAR" and just have fun Pitching and Putting your way down the course! :lol:

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

I tried the 'golf' thing years ago ???

No matter how I cooked them 'golf eggs' ?they wasnt any good to eat ???

Anyhow :::

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    First you shoot em, then you club em, then you stomp em

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-nYd8ufqCc
  • Options
    edited November -1
    First you shoot em, then you club em, then you stomp em

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-nYd8ufqCc
  • Options