In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Soup -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
1 1/2 lbs. Browned ground Chuck. A quart of Beef broth, three to four large rough diced carrots, about 2/3 of a bunch of rough diced celery, a bag of frozen peas, three small Gold Yukon potatoes, rough diced, a large rough diced onion sauteed in the browned chuck pan to deglaze. (Towards the end about 1/2 can of beer.)

All in a large Crock pot on high. Low this evening after high boil, Warm after that, and overnight. The rest of the beer poured in on top. Alas, I did not have the can of diced tomatoes I thought I had. :| I do have a can of high end Black bean Salsa. Main ingredient, diced tomatoes, corn, and black beans, cilantro, etc. etc. (Thinking about adding that in.) In lieu of the diced tomatoes. (Wanted some corn in it anyway.)

I will add Farfalle pasta towards the end. (Tomorrow morning.)

Should I throw in a package of Lipton Beefy Onion Soup? (Really bummed I've got no diced tomatoes.)

Sorry, no garbanzo beans on hand.

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,669 ******
    edited November -1
    I?d dump in a can of garbanzo beans.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    GreatGuns wrote:
    I'd dump in a can of diced tomatoes.

Killing me. :shock:

I reached out to a couple Buddies/neighbors. "Sorry, no diced tomatoes." It would be a 8-9 mile drive, to go pick up some fresh tomatoes, or a can of diced. (16-18 mile drive.) I am thinking I will add in the Jar of Black Bean Salsa, and make do.

What do you think about the pkg. of Lipton Beefy Onion Soup? Too much?

Oh yeah, the obligatory Salt/pepper, and a couple/three or four shots of Worchestershire.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    GreatGuns wrote:
    Without the garbanzo beans and diced tomatoes, you're sunk. Feed it to Buddy, over his dry food. ;)

Jim

My Pal. :? :roll:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You have redeemed yourself.

1/2 pkg Lipton Beefy Onion Soup it is. :)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You had your mind made up from the get go, didn?t you?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:

Not at all. Looking for input. You are close enough, you could bring me some fresh tomatoes or a can of diced, right Jim? :D
  • Options
    edited November -1
    GreatGuns wrote:
    jimdeere wrote:

Not at all. Looking for input. You are close enough, you could bring me some fresh tomatoes or a can of diced, right Jim? :D

......and a bag of ice and a lime, along with cranberry juice, some good vodka and triple sec. ;)

Jim

Yeah. The Soup, would probably be really good after that. ;)
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love soup and make a few from scratch. That being said "Progresso" make an organic Black Bean soup that I add a small amount of finally chopped onions to and then top off with a spoon full of sour creme. REALLY good stuff.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sure, right after Oklahoma comes back and beats LSU. Leave the porch light on.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    asop wrote:
    I love soup and make a few from scratch. That being said "Progresso" make an organic Black Bean soup that I add a small amount of finally chopped onions to and then top off with a spoon full of sour creme. REALLY good stuff.

Will have to give that a try. Sounds good. Had an "In Store Coupon," for Chunky Soup - last couple several times I was in, including this evening. 2 for $2. $1 ea. for a can of Chunky soup, is a deal. I have a bunch in the cupboard.

I had a bunch of fresh Veggies in the fridge, decided to make a big pot of comfort food/soup.

I am seriously bummed, I did not have any diced tomatoes. :cry:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:
    Sure, right after Oklahoma comes back and beats LSU. Leave the porch light on.

I am sensing some resistance on your part Jim.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used to duck hunt in Gadon(sp?) La. Friend a real LSU fan. Finally stop having after game parties when over 300 people showed up :o
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember: Mo is not Betty.

Or something like that.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately, my Cooking adage is "Mo, is Mo Betta." :cry:

I usually regret it.

I usually make way more than I can eat, before it goes bad, or I get sick of it. :?

My last batch of Chili, does not qualify. Mmmnnn.......................... Had some yesterday, and the day before. Have another large portion to go, if I wish. It rocked. I will probably take it to my Mom's tomorrow, to trade on some homemade Potatoe pancakes. :D
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll make somebody a good wife someday. Do you have a hope chest? :lol:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You'll make somebody a good wife someday. Do you have a hope chest? :lol:

Yes.

My Chest, is hoping you will go away. :D
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,035 ******
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you're making chili,if you add some chili beans
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Order a couple of cans of diced tomatoes on Amazon- they will be there tomorrow. :D
  • Options
    edited November -1
    montanajoe wrote:
    Sounds like you're making chili,if you add some chili beans
    344145_80694b811dca1e2b3fb60cf891224c06.jpeg
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,035 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sound like leftover soup/stew from when I was a kid. Had to do something to clean out the fridge before grocery shopping. Some concoctions were memorable in a good way and others not so much.

Had a ham bone from Christmas ham so I made bean soup today. Kept it simple - beans, ham, chicken stock, celery, carrots, garlic, pepper, dry mustard, and a couple of bay leaves. Came out excellent and that's a good thing as there is enough for tomorrows dinner too. Add warm crusty bread and a salad and its an easy great meal. Bob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Added the bow-tie (Farfalla) pasta about an hour ago, brought it back up to boil.

House smelled Awesome upon waking up.

OMG - Is this stuff good. Comfort food to the max. Overcast/rainy day. Supposed to turn cold. Worked on the inside wood yesterday in preparation.

Perfect.