In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Flying to Florida with pistol - need a locking box recommendation

drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
Flying down to St. Petersburg Florida end of January. Plan to bring my Sig P365 and Ruger LCP along. Might bring a rifle as well for a wild boar hunt.

Anyone here fly with pistols & or rifles? What do you use for a locking box?

Also anyone in that area want to meet for coffee or a beer?

Comments

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never checked a pistol on an airline. I have flown with a rifle and separate optics and can find no fault with the offerings from Pelican.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the Pelicans. We have two of them and they are well built and the interior foam is customizable for your specific firearm, camera, or widget.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a number of good ones, look for a box that says: TSA Approved. It is a bit of a pain, you need to get there a litle early and check the firarm in the container through with your airline baggage people. They will likely ask you to open the case to check that the firearm is unloaded and any ammunition is properly contained (it can be in the same case, but must be fully contained in fiberboard, plastic, or metal and not in magazines). Easy, just takes extra time. You then pick it up from baggage counter when you arrive.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Give me a few hours and I will sit down and make a proper write up with some pics here for you.

I flew to and shot in 4 different states this year and made maybe 7 trips from Orlando to DFW with at least one firearm.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Warbirds wrote:
    Give me a few hours and I will sit down and make a proper write up with some pics here for you.

I flew to and shot in 4 different states this year and made maybe 7 trips from Orlando to DFW with at least one firearm.

Thanks bud, will keep an eye out for it.
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pelican cases are top notch and available in asst colors.
    You can find them online at discounted pricing check out several of the sites for best pricing, and be sure to get the ones including the pick-apart foam.
    I would suggest either yellow or orange cases so they stand out for pickup and are less likely to be "LOST" in some dark corner .
    One other way to travel with a pistols on a flight is putting them individually into the small metal DOT approved travel "safes" [like Lockdown or Hornady] and put them inside an appropriate size Pelican case.
    In my mind you can't be too careful when traveling with guns via air , baggage handlers and such seem to think everything they touch is indestructible .
  • Options
    RIA10MMRIA10MM Member Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you need any supplies when you get into town give me an email.

If you need more firepower you can borrow my hog buster AR 50 or MR 50TG for the hunt.

If timing is right and you need a ride from the airport (Tampa) I?m about 20 minutes away.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Harbor Freight has a case that is a knockoff of the Pelican and is very good and much cheaper. Sent two rifles across the country and then to Alaska and worked perfect, no damage whatsoever.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    RIA10MM wrote:
    If you need any supplies when you get into town give me an email.

If you need more firepower you can borrow my hog buster AR 50 or MR 50TG for the hunt.

If timing is right and you need a ride from the airport (Tampa) I?m about 20 minutes away.

Thanks man, I have rental car lined up. We're visiting Nephew in-law and staying in an airbnb. Haven't heard if we're going to hog hunt or not.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dude the airline you picked will even allow you to use their airline with a checked gun? Since it's Florida it'll be easier to pick up a slightly used possibly stolen or used in a crime in the airport parking lot as you rent a car. Also I hear all you need is a hunting license to buy guns there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yoshmyster wrote:
    Dude the airline you picked will even allow you to use their airline with a checked gun? Since it's Florida it'll be easier to pick up a slightly used possibly stolen or used in a crime in the airport parking lot as you rent a car. Also I hear all you need is a hunting license to buy guns there.

I like vacationing in states that recognize my Missouri CCW license. 2 hour flight or long as drive.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had occasion to fly from Tampa to Indy about 12 years ago via Southwest with two pistols. I checked the SW rules on-line and had a proper locking box. I walked into the terminal and got a little worried since there was a big sign over the entrance "no firearms allowed". Being the outlaw that I am, I just walked to the ticket counter and told the lady what I had. She summoned someone from out back and he opened my box, locked it, and put a strap around it probably to indicate that it had been inspected and needed no other inspection. Yes, Pelicans are very good but you don't really need anything that expensive.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I made a separate post, probably with a bunch of information you don?t need but I thought it might be cool to make a post for people to search for in the future.

Also- I shoot at Gun Craft in Ruskin Fl on Wednesday nights, USPSA outlaw matchI could definitely loan you a Glock and a holster if Im around. Keep in touch- I would be up for a GB meet up. Dinner or drink or whatever.
    Cheers-
    [url] https://forums.gunbroker.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1887821[/url]
    drobs wrote:
    Warbirds wrote:

Thanks bud, will keep an eye out for it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We'll be down Jan 23 - 30. Let's all get together for dinner one night.

After 10 years on military bases eating in Dinning Facilities - I'll eat just about anything.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I?m in. I will shoot you my info now so you have it before the big forum upgrade.
    drobs wrote:
    We'll be down Jan 23 - 30. Let's all get together for dinner one night.

After 10 years on military bases eating in Dinning Facilities - I'll eat just about anything.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just tuck your gun in your waist band and walk through the TSA check point, when they flip out just flash this:

il_794xN.1532641607_doua.jpg

And keep walking :lol:
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Piece of cake. No issues with Springfield. Waited around the check-desk, TSA didn't even bother asking to see it in person. Probably just x-rayed it.

Anyone free for dinner this Wednesday evening? 

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    You bet!  and I will buy.  But you will have to come to New Mexcio. :D   Have a great visit!
  • Options

Let me look at my schedule. I can probably get over there. The problem is I am taking a day of vacation on Friday to RO a GSSF match, then on vacation again the next wk flying to Baltimore for my brother’s Army retirement ceremony.

i’ll follow up.

did you get an IM from me when you posted this originally?

• Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit too far north (120 miles) to meet up, but hope you enjoy your Florida visit drobs.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

I would love to meet up for dinner but I have to work at Walt Disney World and Mickey won’t give me the night off. Have you decided if you are going to hog hunt ? There is some good hunting just north of Tampa.

• Options
  • Options

Was that on Facebook? Missed it. This is a real short trip so no worries.

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited January 2020
    drobs said:

Think we're heading your way - Disney Monday or Tuesday.

If you're going to Disney from Tampa, you have to drive right past my home. I sent you a PM with my phone number. Let me know if you want to stop in.
  • Options

Mark will do am on my phone and won't have access to that email later this evening.

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who is afraid of the fascists that run NYC?  If your flight is diverted there, you MUST pick up your checked bags; when you go to the counter to re-check them, they will bust you.  It happens.  I hate prison food.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

To be clear. What you have stated is literally not true.

YES NYC takes pleasure in prosecuting people skirting their commie laws.

it is not true you must claim your checked bag. That is FALSE.

Also- I am willing to bet zero flights in the history of aviation traveling Orlando to Joplin, Mo or St. Luis, Mo have EVER been diverted to NYC.

• Options
    I figure if the flight somehow diverted to NYC, I'd let the airline handle the bag. Let them pick it up and send it back to Missouri for me. I aint touching it. I can survive with the clothes on my back till I get home in Missouri.

I put a set of Hackathorn Night Sights on the Glock but I'd could put those on another Glock. Both guns are commonly available and easily replaceable.