In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Church shooter picked the wrong church this time!

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watched the video. Hell of a handgun distance shot by the good guy. One and done. Excellent follow up skills as well. Damn shame it happened at all, but once things jumped off the ?good guy? set ?em right in VERY short order. Several others were armed as well. Fortunately they didn?t need to get into a prolonged exchange with the idiot in the crowded church.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of the local churches here now have security teams. One of my sons is a minister at a local church, they have a team, he is armed even while preaching.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    If you watch close- the first victim tried to draw and defend himself, His lack of training cost him his life.
    The successful defensive shooter thank God for him. That is the worst case scenario shot for a civilian. Gunman up and firing, long shot and playing for all the marbles.

The lesson here is if you are carrying, you are one of three people in the video.
    1) the first victim
    2) the successful defensive shooter
    3) one of the other 5+ Good guys still working to get their gun up and on target at the bad guy.

This was the Bill drill with everything on the line.
    [media] https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xd_yJdXWG0o[/media]
    Watched the video. Hell of a handgun distance shot by the good guy. One and done. Excellent follow up skills as well. Damn shame it happened at all, but once things jumped off the ?good guy? set ?em right in VERY short order. Several others were armed as well. Fortunately they didn?t need to get into a prolonged exchange with the idiot in the crowded church.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any links to the video?
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree Dave. The fight stopper was an instructor, etc. used a .357 SIG. Search Jack Wilson church shooting, background/bio info is available. Training/situational awareness is everything. Having to play ?quick draw? in a situation like this means you?re already behind the curve.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have read and re-read the article written in the Dallas paper. The writing is awful with misinformation and bad grammar. Recent college 'graduates' working for cheap. But the worst error is this quote and collateral statement:
    ?We lost two great men today, but it could have been a lot worse, and I am thankful our government has allowed us the opportunity to protect ourselves,? said Britt Farmer, the church?s senior minister.

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, speaking at the evening news conference, highlighted changes in state law that ensured the right to carry concealed weapons in churches.

Before you castigate me, yes, I am aware that this clergyman has just endured a horrific Incident where his parishioners were killed in front of him. He was undoubtedly shaken to his core.

The Federal Government does not 'allow' us anything which is guaranteed in the Bill of Rights. This is the reason for the Bill of Rights, we have these rights as written and we do not need anyone or the Federal Government's permission or allowance.

The Lt. Gov. however stated this properly and succinctly.

Best.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice work!

Looked like a head shot from across the room.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I am dumbfounded this topic didn?t gather more interest here on GB.

It is even front and center on the CNN website! CNN!
    xRRJo8R.png

aXnSejf.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nononsense wrote:
    I have read and re-read the article written in the Dallas paper. The writing is awful with misinformation and bad grammar. Recent college 'graduates' working for cheap. But the worst error is this quote and collateral statement:
    ?We lost two great men today, but it could have been a lot worse, and I am thankful our government has allowed us the opportunity to protect ourselves,? said Britt Farmer, the church?s senior minister.

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, speaking at the evening news conference, highlighted changes in state law that ensured the right to carry concealed weapons in churches.

Before you castigate me, yes, I am aware that this clergyman has just endured a horrific Incident where his parishioners were killed in front of him. He was undoubtedly shaken to his core.

The Federal Government does not 'allow' us anything which is guaranteed in the Bill of Rights. This is the reason for the Bill of Rights, we have these rights as written and we do not need anyone or the Federal Government's permission or allowance.

The Lt. Gov. however stated this properly and succinctly.

Best.

Yep. A point far to many fail to understand.
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can I say it?

Can I?

Huh?

Huh?

I'm going to say it.

Amen!
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A head shot at 45 feet under extreme stress! What a shot!
    Now, did he aim for the head, or, did he aim for the torso and get lucky. If he aimed for the head that is unbelievable.
  • Options
    fatcat458fatcat458 Member Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SECOND AMENDMENT predates any government... lt was used when the first caveman picked a rock to defend himself... 357 SIG is a DAMN good rock ;)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Warbirds, I've watched the video. The man that put the shooter down had more time than the first guy, he did a good job under stress and I'm not taking anything away from his actions or ability, but he had more time. More training may have saved the first guy and it may not. Like someone posted, in a situation like this you are already behind the eight ball. It's one thing to have your eye on someone and ready for action and another to go from a cold start when he is already in motion. One you're starting behind but ready, the other you're behind and have to jump to ready.

My point is lack of training isn't what got him killed, the bad guy is what got him killed. More training may have saved him and may not have, but he is still better off to have the gun with him than to not. He was just the unlucky one in that spot at that time. Had the spots been traded the guy that made the killing shot may have died like the first one.

The guys that come into the picture from the back of the church I assume were stationed there. I thought the whole team acted as quickly as can be expected and had the shooter not been down, or had there been another shooter, a protracted fire fight would have ensued. A learning tool for church security teams for sure. I'm sure my son and his team will learn from it. One of the nurses I worked with was a Vietnam vet in his early 70's and was on his churches security team. His team was the model my son used to set up his team.

The churches are sharing information and training. They are refusing to be the soft targets they once were. While the very make up of church congregations and services make them open to something like this, fighting back will save many lives as is illustrated by this event. Fighting back is the difference, more training will make it more effective but the willingness and determination to fight back is the biggest difference maker.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I may not have seen it as clearly but I thought the first guy who attempted to draw actually attracted the shooter to himself rather than being the first target, if so than his action of drawing got him killed, sad to say if he had let the shooter continue with the first guy he may have had the time to clear and get him. That said he is a hero regardless of training he tried.

The second person who actually shot the bad guy I think was security and apparently a damn good one.

Multiple others were armed as well and the shooter wasn't getting out of there without getting shot this time.

No GUN FREE Zone and it paid off
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    May that m-fkr rot in hell. The guy that got shot first didn't have a chance,imo, had the shotgun out, got the drop on him. May he rest in peace as the other churchperson.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Edspdog1Edspdog1 Member Posts: 225
    edited November -1
    I read or dreamed it that the fight stopper may have been retired FBI. Might explain the great shot under pressure.
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    May that m-fkr rot in hell. The guy that got shot first didn't have a chance,imo, had the shotgun out, got the drop on him. May he rest in peace as the other churchperson.
    I agree. I think the only reason the guy was able to draw his pistol is because the dirtbag hesitated. That shotgun was on his chest before he even started to draw.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know why they don't make toilet paper in Texas???

Cause it wouldn't take * off of anybody....

Mighty fine shooting Mr. Wilson!
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found this link from Sputnik News Service that shows the live feed, fairly clear & without intentional blurring:

https://sputniknews.com/us/201912301077896523-deadly-church-shooting-in-texas-caught-on-live-stream---video/

As confirmed by local police, the shooter is wearing a fake beard & wig. I'm guessing that the shooter's appearance is what caused the security members to bunch up at the rear of the aisle. I think that I see Mr Wilson with his hand on his gun at the moment that the shooter fires; within 2 seconds he draws & fires.

The shooter was no stranger at the church. According to the pastor, he had visited the church several time. The pastor had even fed him once.

Not a hate crime, just someone with severe mental problems, well known as unstable by his family & law enforcement. Sadly, he never got an Emergency Psychiatric Evaluation.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I saw an interview with Mr. Wilson. He said that he had to wait one second before firing, because there were church goers in his way. And yet, from the time the guy pulled the shotgun, until the final fatal shot, only 6 seconds went by.
    And he said he made the head shot on purpose. He said that he teaches his students to not take the head shot, but, that was the only shot he had so he took it.

What a shot!