In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

17 wsm

GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in Ask the Experts
Any one heard or seen anything about the 17 wsm being opened to a 22 wsm?

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Geri,

I have neither heard about or read about this being done, although I don't doubt that some daring experimenter has tried it. The American male is an indefatigable wildcatter when it comes to modifying ammunition which is why I don't doubt that it has been tried.

But, and this is a stern admonishment, do not attempt to try this on your own without an advanced knowledge of ballistics and a specialty in rimfire ammunition. The .17 WSM is a unique cartridge made from a case used to make nail gun cartridges and operating at a significantly higher pressure than the any other rimfire cartridges. Simply pulling a bullet,necking up and seating a new bullet in .22 caliber will be harmful to your health. As the great man said; Do NOT try this at home!

Best.
  • GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not even considering trying. Read a comment on the rim fire forum where a 22 wsm was talked about.
    Thanks.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been keeping an eye out for a 22 WSM rimfire version of the 17 but haven't seen one yet. I have the 17 WSM (T/C Encore rifle barrel) and it's fine, but I'm not a great fan of the small caliber. In CA there are certain restrictions on centerfire rifles in some configurations, such as AR 15. A stout 22 rimfire would be a pretty neat niche out here and not trigger the foolish AW (in rifles) laws.

The 17 WSM probably isn't all that popular, probably in part because it's not a 22. Hoping that changes.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only RFs i own are the 22 lr. I would like to see a 22 wsm, and am considering a 22 wmr.
    But would like to see something a bit more powerful. I wish tikka t1x was chambered for the
    22 wmr. Just on my wish list.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 17 WSM probably isn't all that popular, probably in part because it's not a 22.

SAAMI-Specs-660x330.jpg

Releasing this cartridge in the .22 caliber design would not necessarily improve the notoriety or market share.

Quite the contrary actually. The lack of acknowledgement that most perceive is due more to the lack of rifles being chambered for the .17 WSM. So far we're limited to the Savage and Ruger products with some barrels thrown in by T/C or MGM. I've shot both mainstream manufacturers and their models are less than acceptable both in design and accuracy. Neither impresses me at all. But there are 4 major ammunition manufacturers producing cartridges for over the counter sales. Hornady recently entered the market and I can guarantee you that they wouldn't put the dollars and effort into this as the 4th supplier if the market wasn't going to grow.

I've has several brief conversations with CZ regarding using one of their smaller but substantially designed actions for this cartridge but so far they are holding off and will not commit to the assurance that any one action would be a safe design.

Volquartsen and Franklin Armory have released semi-auto versions in the .17 WSM without any real advance in accuracy. Realize that the Volquartsen is basically a $1,300 rifle in what they state is a semi-custom... :roll:

The custom market is strangled by the lack of reasonably priced action only suppliers and buying a Savage or a Ruger is not inducement enough to add a top of the line barrel, stock and trigger to the fray. You could buy a new or used Winchester 1885 Low Wall and re-barrel to the .17 WSM but at a little over $1,000 for the new one, then add a new barrel plus gunsmithing, puts this idea over the Volquartsen in price.

The solution is just not as simple as it should be. The Mini-Mauser actions, CZ small caliber actions, the older Sako A1 actions or even those Howa Mini actions would be the right scale of size and manufacturing for this cartridge without breaking the bank price-wise. The trick is to convince the manufacturers that the investment will pay off in a reasonable time frame. It would also yield a far bigger and broader market in which to grow the demand.

The obvious solution to the custom situation is to buy a Stiller or Vudoo custom rimfire action which start you off in the hole price-wise for the just the action. McMillan and Manners make stocks for these and there are 4 barrel makers on hand for those custom made barrels which will now run you 3-6 months in wait time. The end result is a rifle costing just as much as a centerfire custom. :shock:

Other potential rimfire without regard to price (all over $900/each):

10X
    Falcon
    Turbo

Best.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think I found the forums you were reading:

post-7932-0-32076900-1423933338.png
    The idea is to create a new cartridge based on.17 Winchester Super Magnum (.17WSM). It may be obvious, but ... lets still discuss it.

It is made by simply necking up the .17WSM case to .224 caliber. This new case will be able to accept a .22 caliber (.224) bullet. It may duplicate .17HMR performance with .22 bullet and/or fill the gap between .22WMR and .223Rem in more affordable package than .22Hornet.

It will also successfully perform on small game (especially on larger species of small game animals).

The cartridge will be easy to make with handloading equipment ? requiring some custom made tools (dies). On other hand many people do not load their ammunition, but still want to have affordable ammunition choices and this cartridge gives them what they need.

Rifles originally chambered in .17WSM (like Savage B MAG) can be easily chambered also in this new cartridge requiring nothing more than a barrel change.

It expands range of rimfire cartridges. It lets to shoot more potent calibers in relatively cheap and low recoil rimfire package.

It would be great to hear some opinions and even better if someone makes this wildcat!

http://www.varminter.com/forums/topic/17759-wildcat-22-17wsm/

Best.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been waiting to see if it would be introduced in a .204/5mm, like they should have done in the first place.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nononsense wrote:
    The 17 WSM probably isn't all that popular, probably in part because it's not a 22.

SAAMI-Specs-660x330.jpg

Releasing this cartridge in the .22 caliber design would not necessarily improve the notoriety or market share.

Quite the contrary actually. The lack of acknowledgement that most perceive is due more to the lack of rifles being chambered for the .17 WSM. So far we're limited to the Savage and Ruger products with some barrels thrown in by T/C or MGM. I've shot both mainstream manufacturers and their models are less than acceptable both in design and accuracy. Neither impresses me at all. But there are 4 major ammunition manufacturers producing cartridges for over the counter sales. Hornady recently entered the market and I can guarantee you that they wouldn't put the dollars and effort into this as the 4th supplier if the market wasn't going to grow.

I've has several brief conversations with CZ regarding using one of their smaller but substantially designed actions for this cartridge but so far they are holding off and will not commit to the assurance that any one action would be a safe design.

Volquartsen and Franklin Armory have released semi-auto versions in the .17 WSM without any real advance in accuracy. Realize that the Volquartsen is basically a $1,300 rifle in what they state is a semi-custom... :roll:

The custom market is strangled by the lack of reasonably priced action only suppliers and buying a Savage or a Ruger is not inducement enough to add a top of the line barrel, stock and trigger to the fray. You could buy a new or used Winchester 1885 Low Wall and re-barrel to the .17 WSM but at a little over $1,000 for the new one, then add a new barrel plus gunsmithing, puts this idea over the Volquartsen in price.

The solution is just not as simple as it should be. The Mini-Mauser actions, CZ small caliber actions, the older Sako A1 actions or even those Howa Mini actions would be the right scale of size and manufacturing for this cartridge without breaking the bank price-wise. The trick is to convince the manufacturers that the investment will pay off in a reasonable time frame. It would also yield a far bigger and broader market in which to grow the demand.

The obvious solution to the custom situation is to buy a Stiller or Vudoo custom rimfire action which start you off in the hole price-wise for the just the action. McMillan and Manners make stocks for these and there are 4 barrel makers on hand for those custom made barrels which will now run you 3-6 months in wait time. The end result is a rifle costing just as much as a centerfire custom. :shock:

Other potential rimfire without regard to price (all over $900/each):

10X
    Falcon
    Turbo

Best.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think I found the forums you were reading:

post-7932-0-32076900-1423933338.png
    The idea is to create a new cartridge based on.17 Winchester Super Magnum (.17WSM). It may be obvious, but ... lets still discuss it.

It is made by simply necking up the .17WSM case to .224 caliber. This new case will be able to accept a .22 caliber (.224) bullet. It may duplicate .17HMR performance with .22 bullet and/or fill the gap between .22WMR and .223Rem in more affordable package than .22Hornet.

It will also successfully perform on small game (especially on larger species of small game animals).

The cartridge will be easy to make with handloading equipment ? requiring some custom made tools (dies). On other hand many people do not load their ammunition, but still want to have affordable ammunition choices and this cartridge gives them what they need.

Rifles originally chambered in .17WSM (like Savage B MAG) can be easily chambered also in this new cartridge requiring nothing more than a barrel change.

It expands range of rimfire cartridges. It lets to shoot more potent calibers in relatively cheap and low recoil rimfire package.

It would be great to hear some opinions and even better if someone makes this wildcat!

http://www.varminter.com/forums/topic/17759-wildcat-22-17wsm/

Best.

I'm encouraged to hear that CZ has been looking at the rimfire WSM as suitable for their line of rifles. I have more than a fair share of them and can see the challenge - the 452, 455, 457 line is probably insufficient while the 527 line is overbuilt, if there is such a thing when it comes to handling a cartridge safely. Whatever they might come up with, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Regarding the current slim offerings, I think rifle manufacturers would come on board if the cartridge were available in 22 caliber. Along with 35 calibers (I like & have them, but I also like & shoot the 7.5 French too ...) the 17s just don't seem to find purchase with the rifle shooting public.

Perhaps the new caseless, non-reloadable centerfire ammo will have an impact. I suppose we long ago left "needing" a new caliber or cartridge and that things more complicated than just what we'd like influence new offerings.