In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

sighting the military mausers for novices

discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in General Discussion
okay,  so i have 4 various military mauaers..swedish 6.5,  turkish 8mm, yugo 8mm, and chilean 7mm.  on the rear sight,  adjustable ramp  is an open V-notch.  on the Front blade is a solid inverted V blade.  whatdahell is the proper sighting picture i need to see using?  right now i am just burning ammo with no results.  can't hit a bull in the * with a bass fiddle  HELPPPPPPP

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Back when I had good eyes I loved the A front and the V rear. I set the target on top of the A and the top of the A at the bottom of the V.  You need to shoot a load that is close to the factory projectile in weight and speed to make use of the sliding scale, or work up what the 400 meter means on your ammo/load.  A ballistic table can help but the proof is in the pudding by actually shooting at a measured distances.   A nice dirt bank that you can see the bullet strike makes it easier.  You can start on paper at say 25 yards with the smallest dot you can see.  You should be low but the group should be small, if not then you or the rifle need more help.  A comfortable bench or standing foxhole position helps, so can proper use of the sling.

Are you use to a 2 stage trigger? I take up the first stage before I worry about the sight picture.  Much easier to shoot offhand with a double set, even a single set.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Can't help much. I do know the typical "battle zero" for the older military arms was about 300 yards meaning the 100 yard POI was like 8"  high. The only military rifle I could really shoot well was the 03A3 with it's "peep" sight but I could shoot it out to 400-500 yards fairly consistently.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭
    The top of the front sight should be level with the top of the rear sight, i.e., standard sight picture.  Most military rifles are sighted to shoot high with the sight in the lowest position.  This is to give a "point blank" hit at 200 to 300 yards with a center body aiming point.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,842 ✭✭✭✭

I have sighted in well over a hundred milsurps over the years. Practically all will shoot high at 100yds with the rear site lowered. With SMLEs and P14, you can buy different size front sites..

For practically all others you have no choice but to find taller front sights or add metal via welding. Done this many times. If your concerned about originality, keep the original site and find another to weld. 

These are the only means I know unless you want to compensate by  eye.