In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bachelor Tip -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in General Discussion

When cooking Ramen Noodles, add about a half a fine diced onion, a couple shots of Kikkoman soy sauce, and about a Tablespoon full of House of Tsang Szechuan Spicy Sauce.

The Bomb.

Carry on.

Comments

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,436 ******
    I don't know why I read this post Ken.  Haven't been a bachelor since 2 days after my 18th birthday.  
    I just thought you might have said something that I missed in all this time!o:)
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Brookwood said:
    I don't know why I read this post Ken.  Haven't been a bachelor since 2 days after my 18th birthday.  
    I just thought you might have said something that I missed in all this time!o:)
    He did, unless you've actually had Ramen noodles with these additives.
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Why would anybody be cooking that crap?? You can buy Kraft box of spaghetti for $1.00 and just add a can of tomato paste and that's pretty good. And Kraft mac and cheese is also $1.00. I like to add a can of peas and man that's good. I haven't eaten either of those for years but I much prefer them to Ramen. 
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭
    never did eat ramen noodles, at least not on purpose.......
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad I am married
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭

Ramen too salty for me

• Options
    EW0302EW0302 Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
     Ramen was the only thing that made the original MREs edible, especially the dehydrated beef or pork patty.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    Save the ramen for the college kids.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,506 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Ramen noodles, the rice cake of pasta.

Reminds of a song I last heard probably 50 years ago:

'If you pour whiskey on it, he'd eat a bale of hay.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gXr31zLBxM
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    Why would anybody be cooking that crap?? You can buy Kraft box of spaghetti for $1.00 and just add a can of tomato paste and that's pretty good. And Kraft mac and cheese is also $1.00. I like to add a can of peas and man that's good. I haven't eaten either of those for years but I much prefer them to Ramen. 
     Mac and cheese is one of my favorites.
     Two boxes mac and cheese, three cans tuna, two cans each sliced carrots and sweet peas and a pouch of velveta cheese sauce.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of, anyone see if Yosh made it back on?

• Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,717 ✭✭✭✭
    I get cravings for them sometimes.....its a quick, easy thing to fix and costs almost NOTHING.    They are really bad for you though.     When I was in my 20's a friend of mine was trying to lose weight and decided that two of their meals a day would be Ramen.    I pointed out they needed to read the label and they were shocked.     If you ate them regularly I'm pretty sure you'd die prematurely and they wouldn't have to embalm you because the mummification process would already be started.    
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭

oddly this might be the most useful thread since the new forum release.

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭

Green onion but I suppose in a pinch sliced white and maybe yellow but never red. Adding extra soy sauce is much. When I made Top Ramen I use two packs (yup I'm a big boy). Still got PTSD from eating top ramen while saving the cash to buy my "White Feather" I haven't made any Top Ramen. For "spice" black pepper but these days most folks goes for the red stuff with the green top. I suppose some may go with that La-Yu red pepper oil (not my thing). Now Sesame Oil is nice.

Drop a raw egg and let it poach the last few moments before eating out of the pot is the "cheap" bomb eats. If you have a few frozen shrimps they really fancy up the Top Ramen. Also pretty much any left over meat thrown in makes a meal.

Why would anybody be cooking that crap? It's typically .25 cents a pack. Also some folks are lactose intolerant and if I recall milk ain't cheap. 

I remember those dehydrated beef or pork patties. Dehydrated meat in between crackers mouthful of flavorful sawdust. They were fun late '80s addition to those dehydrated fruit cocktails.

Comparing Ramen to "Top Ramen" is like comparing Ochoa Brothers cocaine to Compton Street Crack.

• Options

My Man.

I don't eat them very frequently, maybe once or twice in a month. Good for a quick hot snack. I do like to add veggies. Thin sliced cabbage is good. I will have to try the Bok Choy. Used to buy it quite often up N. Not sure you can even find it in my little Podunk town. Will also have to remember throwing a few cocktail shrimp in with em.'

I have (a'hem) quite a few packs in my SHTF food stash. I grab one every now and then.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with most of what FCD said. The instant "ramen" cups and bowls you can buy for pennies are worthless crap. But you can buy soft ramen noodles in the refrigerated section that are quite good. They do NOT come with those horrible "seasoning packets" so you must add your own stuff. Use chicken, beef, or vegetable broth - or fish if you choose. Add veggies, a bit of star anise, onion, cabbage or bok choi, bamboo shoots, water chestnut, cilantro if you like it, and top with a sliced boiled egg. Add a good splash of fish sauce. What you get is close to Vietnamese pho and it will make you a believer.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Sounds good. (But) You have obviously never shopped in Mtn. City, TN.