In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Something neat happened and I missed it.

Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭✭
I was down in the basement working away when I heard what sounded like a HUGE helicopter fly right over the house. To give you some perspective, we had a tornado go right over our house last year and it was loud. This "helicopter" was much louder. By the time I looked outside it was gone. I questioned my wife on what it was and what she descibed was pretty much impossible, so I took that info and looked up a V22 Osprey and showed it to her. "That's it, only there were 2 of them flying together".
We get a lot of planes flying over us, but this is a first for that plane. Crap, I would have loved to see them.
Joe

Comments

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I have V22 Osprey's flying nap of the earth over the house (300-500') and down our holler on a regular basis. The Director of our small regional airport, (6-7 mi. away as the Crow fly's) Son fly's them. They use our holler and small regional Airport for touch and goes quite frequently.

Not nearly as loud as a Chinook.

I do love seeing them though. Distinctive sound.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited January 2020
    I've done my share of working underneath these fellas.

Skip to about 2:41 for the fun part.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭✭

I have V22 Osprey's flying nap of the earth over the house (300-500') and down our holler on a regular basis. The Director of our small regional airport, (6-7 mi. away as the Crow fly's) Son fly's them. They use our holler and small regional Airport for touch and goes quite frequently.

Not nearly as loud as a Chinook.

I do love seeing them though. Distinctive sound.

Hi Ken, Do they normally fly low and slow with the props pitched up around 45°? That was impression I got listening to it. There was a lot of helicopter rotor thumping sounds.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

I doubt their props are at 45° when they pass over my house, they are usually cruising (Fast.) Over my house. When they do touch and go's at the small, rural airport, they transition from flying to hovering. Quite impressive. I understand the most dangerous aspect of their flight.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Fly overs from Ft. Jackson all the time .. you can sure hear them coming .
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭✭

I too sec them frequently . My house is a couple of miles from the runway at Seymour Johnson Air Force base . The ospreys from Camp Lejune use their runway from time to time . I see them more often at the local (Mt olive ) airport when they practice touch and goes there

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    We had some extremely low flyers the last couple of days.  Probably just the governor looking for my guns.
    "Check the lake, *!"
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    That is what the snorkel is for, suck the firearms out of the water that were lost in boating accidents.