In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I asked questions here about a different cartridge for the AR 15 platform. I have made up my mind!

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭✭
I kept looking at the ballistics tables for the 300 BO, 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8.  I was underwhelmed.  I didn't see any practical advantage to adding one of these cartridges.  It seemed that I a wild hair up my butt and I just wanted something new.  The fact I was not accomplishing anything by changing things was pretty much irrelevant.   I was on the PSA web site looking at every thing they had in the AR 15, and again I was thinking I could see no advantage to adding one of those options.  And then it dawned on me!!  Why not a AR 10??  If a 308 is not practical then nothing is practical!!  I'm not a big 308 person but I recognize its outstanding utility!

Once I decided the AR 10 would give me far more of what I was looking for, then I started looking at AR 10 complete rifles, uppers and lowers.  Found a nice lower on sale.  The tracking # said I can go to my FFL's on Monday and pick it up!!  I'm all excited!! :)  

Comments

• Options
    Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    I have an LR308 DPMS, and it is a beast. Love it but darn is it heavy! .308 is a great cartridge!
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭

The only recommendations with the AR 10 is the parts are not milspec, therefore there are 3 different receivers, all different: DPMS (most common), Armalite, and PSA. My preference is DPMS platform because there are far more uppers out there and plenty of choices. Also many of the lower parts interchange with your AR 15.

Accuracy will amaze you, I have seen some shoot as good as my 308 target rifle 

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, let's throw a wrench in things.  The AR 10 platform doesn't have to be chambered in the .308.   There is no end to this road.

Good deal really.  Another platform and another class of cartridge.   I've been considering an AR10 myself.  Enjoy your new rifle when you get it set up.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,423 ***** Forums Admin
    I think you made a great decision. I would consider one of those, but I have an M1A so.......... :p
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    The only thing I have found that you need to watch for is that not all AR-10 parts are compatible (not to the extent of the AR-15 anyway). Otherwise, a great platform and rifle.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Going to pick up a AR10 soon. Got a lot of military ammo and not running thru my hunting rifles.
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Have a Armalite, it is a tad heavy.
    But you get what you pay for. Armalite recommends heavy match loads for theirs.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a PSA AR10 but it was heavy and the AR design is sort of unwieldy when heavy.I was never impressed with the accuracy with the one I had.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,469 ✭✭✭✭
    This is the PSA  AR10  308 I built I have just under 500.00 into  it not counting the scope I put on it. Like that has already been mentioned it is heavy.

If I run across a 7mm-08 barrel I will switch to that chambering
  • Options
    randomnutrandomnut Member Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

AR 10 in 6.5 CM. But the perfect cartridge for AR 15 is the 6.5 Grendel

• Options
    savage170 said:
    This is the PSA  AR10  308 I built I have just under 500.00 into  it not counting the scope I put on it. Like that has already been mentioned it is heavy.

How heavy is heavy

• Options
    with the scope I  now have on it according to the scale I have 12.5 pounds
  • Options
    Heavy enough.  A 10# rifle is heavy enough to tote hunting. My Heavy Barrel 700 with scope and bipod weighs 12.25
  • Options
    I had initially put night vision on it which heavy on it's own.  One time out  was enough I ended up putting the night vision on the AR15 6.5 Grendel
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, recoil was a tad heavy for AN/PVS-4. kinda redeyed. Couple time out and off it came
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    The 30 AR was a good round.  Fit into an AR 15 rifle.  Disappeared and even brass is impossible to find.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭
    If you going to the large frame.. screw  .308 assuming you already have some of those.  Go 6.5 Creedmoor. 
    I can show you how .300 blk is useful and relevant. 6.5 Grendel is good too. Depends on what yo do. Do you have a AR pistol?  That’s where the other calibers shine(9” .300 blk is awesome )
    pic you don’t have an ar pistol get a 11.5” 5.56.  And a 9” or so .300 blk
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Ps. I’m a big PSA fan but not messing with their oddball large frames! You’d be better served buying an Armalite (dpms pattern) or an aero kit
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    "with the scope I  now have on it according to the scale I have 12.5 pounds"
    What size tires are you using on the carriage?
    For the OP: hope you know that most "other brand" AR 10 uppers don't work with the PSA lower.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Just glossed over the .458 Socom for the AR15 (just a upper swap) and enter the AR10 zone?

Like it's been mentioned when slapping one together (upper and lower) buy from the same manufacture. I know a guy who got a 80% that is gonna have a hard time getting the upper even though they claim it's a DPMS based 80%. At least Brownell's got that 100% return guarantee. So he can try fit all of them. Return shipping's gonna be murder.

I got a Mega Arms Maten that is not quite "DPMS" by the tab being 0.221 thick instead of being 0.210 (DPMS) so the hand guard will be staggered (the rail will not be lined up).

• Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    My AR 10 has become my go to deer rifle.
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a PSA PA-10. It shoots every thing I put in it, including 10 rounds of steel cased Russian junk.  It is pretty heavy, but I popped a big doe with it last season. Mounted a Nikon P308 on a cantilevered base/rings. I have replaced the muzzle device with a Kaw valley linear comp. The blast is directed downrange instead of sideways, making standing to the side tolerable.

• Options
    spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    DPMS/SR/LR style rifles is not the same as a AR-10.  Same ammo but different format.  AR-10 is a trade mark of Armalite which makes them.  There is so many differences, like the heels of the receivers, DPMS is round like AR-15 and AR-10 is 45 degree angle.  Each styles has their pros and cons.  I have two custom Armalite AR-10s.  Ones in 308 Winchester and the 2nd is 6.5 CM.  
    https://308ar.com/ar-10-308-ar-compatibility-reference-guide/

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I kind of like the 224 Valkyrie.  Its like a 22-250 for an AR-15 only with a slow twist to stabilize long bullets.

They say its accurate
    RLTW

• Options
    spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

left is a 6.5 CM and the right is a 308Win. Both are Armalite AR-10B

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    I've read that PSA has some issues with their AR10's. Most of the issues can be solved buy putting 2 quarters into the bottom of the buffer tube. This is know as the Fifty Cent Fix.
    Otherwise an adjustable gas block may be required to get PSA AR10's to run.

I'll probably get a 300black next. The cartridge is more or less a necked up 223 case with a 308 bullet.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    savage170 said:

Fat freaking chance.  I bought a Gen 2 PSA lower with that intention almost 3 years ago.  Now you cant get the Gen 2 Uppers and the 7mm-08 barrels and BCG's have been unavailable since then.  PSA is the Costco of the gunworld lots of stuff cheap but if they have it and you dont buy it today, it will never be in stock again or be compatible with what you already have.  Just saying.   
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    drobs said:
    I've read that PSA has some issues with their AR10's. Most of the issues can be solved buy putting 2 quarters into the bottom of the buffer tube. This is know as the Fifty Cent Fix.

I'll probably get a 300black next. The cartridge is more or less a necked up 223 case with a 308 bullet.
    I built a .300 pistol with PSA parts, before researching how much the ammo was... (DOH)  Have not shot it much yet.  Once I get my reloading bench put back together maybe...    
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    CaptFun said:
    drobs said:

I built a .300 pistol with PSA parts, before researching how much the ammo was... (DOH)  Have not shot it much yet.  Once I get my reloading bench put back together maybe...    

There's a Rumor out there that the Russians / Eastern Europeans are going to start selling steel case 300black. Should bring the price down some. I go back and forth on steel case ammo. Works just fine in my PSA AR15's. However, I have a Windham that has never had steel case through it and I plan to keep it that way.

I don't shoot much 308 as it's kind of spendy, even surplus. Mostly shooting 223. My AK's haven't been shot in years.