In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

For you wrong handed riflemen

Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
The Savage 99 is a very nice lever gun. Great for left handed shooters and nice and flat so a good horseback gun as well. This one is an older gun with the brass cartridge counter in the rotary magazine. The .300 Sav is a pretty decent caliber from what I understand. It is just $400.00 right now with eight hours to go.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/853564381

Comments

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll follow it.  A 99 is a rifle I want but have just a bought crossed  off the list just because I have more rifles than I can hunt with now.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭
    I have one also 1953 in 308 that is pretty minty for it's age. this isn't the best picture however.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭
    $400. is a giveaway price btw.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭

Nice rifle.

A lever gun in an unusual caliber isn’t on my list (I would never actually shoot that rifle) but I hope it does well.

Good luck!

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Warbirds said:

Nice rifle.

A lever gun in an unusual caliber isn’t on my list (I would never actually shoot that rifle) but I hope it does well.

Good luck!

A pretty common and well thought of cartridge in its day. Most companies still offer loads for it. Its performance was the basis for the 7.62/308 when the military was looking to replace the 30/06. I have a 1949 vintage 99 in 300 that has a Williams receiver sight on it. slightly different model as mine has the Schnabel fore end. IMOP it is a much better design than the Win or Marlin levers. Spool magazine is easy to load and unload and can use them new fangled pointy bullets. Bob

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭

It is a cool cartridge, I am just beyond capacity to add any more dies, brass and powder. It could be chambered in a dozen other calibers. I just don’t have the capacity.

• Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice rifle in a vintage caliber. If I didn't already have a 99 in 300 savage I would be interested. The 99 was a little ahead of its time
    when it was introduced.  Plenty of ammo still available for the old 300 savage and it is a great deer caliber. Can't go wrong with this rifle.
  • Options
    mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    Everyone was left handed until they committed their first sin.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a pretty sinister claim, Dexter.
    (How many will get that?)
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Should have tied their hands behind their backs when they were young. :o  
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Should have tied their hands behind their backs when they were young. :o  

They basically did that to my Grand pa.  He was left handed and his parents made him do everything with his right hand.  He was a lousy shot with a rifle and pistol but a good shot with a shotgun. 

The only thing he did left handed was fish.
    RLTW

• Options
    I thought the "switch over" was for muscles below the neck. Not applicable to face muscles.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the "switch over" was for muscles below the neck. Not applicable to face muscles.

I would think it would effect eye dominance too.
    RLTW

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    I've read good things about the 300 Savage cartridge. Never got interested in Savage 99's though. Kind of ugly in my eyes. The bolt / receiver looks cheap / unrefined.
  • Options
    I read an article years ago about the 300 Sav. Can't remember anything about it except for one passage. It described how the annual deer camp featured hunters with many rifle/cartridge combinations. Including Gramps and his .300 Savage. One would hear various "Boom! Boom!" and "Bang!" blasts with unknown results, but when you heard a distinctive "Blam" that was Gramps, and there'd be a deer down.
    What a fitting description of a fine but lamentably overlooked cartridge.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    drobs said:
    I've read good things about the 300 Savage cartridge. Never got interested in Savage 99's though. Kind of ugly in my eyes. The bolt / receiver looks cheap / unrefined.
    Drops.  Look it up and see the how and why  that action works the way it does.  Actually a good system for it's purpose.  A lever gun that could handle those pressures and be marketed at a realistic price was quite an engineering feat for it's time.   Rotary magazine to handle spitzer style  bullets.  Unrefined is not a label I could give it.  But preferences vary and that makes our world interesting.