In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Toy, let the Jd vs Kubota debate begin!

Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in General Discussion
Just had this delivered today. Going to be used on the land I am buying to do general chores, dirt work and bush hog mowing. I was between the L2501 and the JD 3025E. I have a JD X720 mower that I love, but after comparing the two decided to try the Kubota. The Kubota is more of a sized down tractor where the JD is more like a supersized subcompact. The JD is more comfortable but the Kubota is heavier and built of all steel and iron.

Comments

• Options
    And for the record my last tractor was a 70hp IH 706 gas, with loader and 7' JD rotary mower and other implements. So this is a large step down in size and power from what I am used to. But had to sell that all before the move. I really didnt need that big of tractor again, this seemed like a good size for the $$
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice! Keep us posted with your land. Im excited about that opportunity you have.

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a new Kubota B2910 in 2001, that I considered the smartest money I ever spent. It did everything I ever wanted it to do. As I got older and the cold got to me more I bought a cab for it from Sims out of Canada. A few years ago I upgraded to a new B2350 cab model. My first one I had almost no trouble with other than a couple of self induced woopsies. My new one is also a very nice tractor except for a couple of issues. The hydrostatic system is extremely loud compared to my older one, and also there have been a lot of issues with the safety electrical interlocks. Other than that they are great tractors that hold their value very well.
    good luck and enjoy it. :)
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    What a cute little tractor.:)
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    My old 2004 L3400 is still running. Has a total of 285 hours . Has same bucket .  Man the other day offered me more than I paid for it but I turned him down. I still need it to scrape my drive and occasionally mow a field. It will go with our home when we sell.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    Kubota seems a better value for your dollar.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭✭
    Ive got a 3901 with 300 hours.  I agree,  some of the best money spent.  I disc,  rototill,  mow,  make wood on a 120 acre tree farm.  I loaded the rear tires,  love the hydrostatic.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,762 ✭✭✭✭
    And for the record my last tractor was a 70hp IH 706 gas, with loader and 7' JD rotary mower and other implements. So this is a large step down in size and power from what I am used to. But had to sell that all before the move. I really didnt need that big of tractor again, this seemed like a good size for the $$
     Well, I do know those 706 tractors were just bad * in the day. Powerful and dependable. 
    imo, the Kubota is your friend.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,420 ******
    I bought a new Kubota BX2670 Tractor equipped with a 55" snow blower on the front and a seed spreader on the rear. Have used it strictly for snow and ice removal since 2015. The seed spreader works great for rock salt.  I could not live here during the winter months without it!  Going on its 5th winter and has 128 hours clocked so far.  
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Only thing I have done since purchase with 18  hours is do the 50 hour service. 1 new battery, oil changes and replaced two front tires.
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

I had a John Deere lawn tractor and a walk-behind mower -- both were severe POS!

So, a bought a new Kubota Bx 25 backhoe/loader. I added a mower deck and rear blade.

The brakes went away about the time the warranty expired. 1000's of dollars! Braked in the transmission.

Condensation forms in the dash display (fuel/tach/indicators) so it destroyed itself about the time the warranty expired!

Little stuff has been falling off the tractor since the first day - hood ornament, side lights, etc. Wrap around cracked in multiple places. Front tires would not hold air but dry rotted in 4 years so I replaced them and these hold air. Valve stems rust out of rear tires (they had fluid in them). Extremely poor traction, even with 4WD, in snow so I bought chains - not enough clearance on the back wheels. I chained the fronts.

Fuel filter is underneath the tractor and mower deck must be removed to access. I moved the filter to the engine compartment and added a valve so I can change it.

Safety switches all over the tractor so it shuts down when going down hill.

Currently something is shorted and cannot shut off engine with the switch.

So if your funds are unlimited and you love working on tractors, by all means buy a Kubota!

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Wrong color, both of them. New Holland blue is best color for a real tractor.
    I do have  BX 26-70 for yard mowing. Best small tractor out there.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

I had a John Deere lawn tractor and a walk-behind mower -- both were severe POS!

So, a bought a new Kubota BM 25 backhoe/loader. I added a mower deck and rear blade.

The brakes went away about the time the warranty expired. 1000's of dollars! Braked in the transmission.

Condensation forms in the dash display (fuel/tach/indicators) so it destroyed itself about the time the warranty expired!

Little stuff has been falling off the tractor since the first day - hood ornament, side lights, etc. Wrap around cracked in multiple places. Front tires would not hold air but dry rotted in 4 years so I replaced them and these hold air. Valve stems rust out of rear tires (they had fluid in them). Extremely poor traction, even with 4WD, in snow so I bought chains - not enough clearance on the back wheels. I chained the fronts.

Fuel filter is underneath the tractor and mower deck must be removed to access. I moved the filter to the engine compartment and added a valve so I can change it.

Safety switches all over the tractor so it shuts down when going down hill.

Currently something is shorted and cannot shut off engine with the switch.

So if your funds are unlimited and you love working on tractors, by all means buy a Kubota!

That sucks. I hope I don't encounter the same, but it's like anything, yours may have been built on a Friday at 4:55pm. I have owned lemons too. The vast experience it seems from most is you can't go wrong with JD or Kubota. I have had to fix stuff on my JD X720 but it was used and most was due to lack of maintenance by previous owner. Since I have owned it have not had one issue but I meticulously maintain everything I own. Oh, and safety shutoff switches will be decommissioned first thing, just like on my JD.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭✭

I bought an L4701 three years ago. I really like it. When l first got it the only problem was getting use to the foreword and reserves pedal. Really a tuff little tractor.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    Kubota is OK for a yard machine. Don't even consider them for a farm tractor.  Take a look at the differential housing and axle housings. Not nearly enough iron for real use. Transmissions have all sorts of solenoids submerged in oil which leads to innumerable problems especially if non-bota hyd oil is used.  Brakes fail almost immediately if non-bota hyd oil is used. All warranty on those parts is denied if non-bota hyd oil is used. 
    This may not be an issue for an acreage guy who has one little yard toy but it's a no go for the operator who has any other brand of tractor.  Oil gets mixed when changing implements and/or there's no other brand of oil that won't cause the bota  hyd system to puke.
    Our primary tractors are John Deere (3 of them), JD skidloader, one IH 756D and one Ford utility (both of those filled with JD Hyguard and like that fine). This works well and prevents cross contamination. No orange paint for me.
  • Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    after farming i have been playing with the utility tractors for fun and convenience....largest is 45 hp and shuttle shift but i prefer hydro ...all have loaders... and all have live pto, 3pt., fwd....best to remember all little tractors with loader can  be dangerous  without weight so i took a large tractor wheel weight and built a 2 or 3 point hitch on it to pickup with the tractor quik hitch to hold the back end down...have a little backhoe unit on one..beats a shovel any day
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    My 1953 Ferguson is the bomb! LOL I have no loader but it will mow and drag all day long and you can't break it.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Mobuck said:
    Kubota is OK for a yard machine. Don't even consider them for a farm tractor.  Take a look at the differential housing and axle housings. Not nearly enough iron for real use. Transmissions have all sorts of solenoids submerged in oil which leads to innumerable problems especially if non-bota hyd oil is used.  Brakes fail almost immediately if non-bota hyd oil is used. All warranty on those parts is denied if non-bota hyd oil is used. 
    This may not be an issue for an acreage guy who has one little yard toy but it's a no go for the operator who has any other brand of tractor.  Oil gets mixed when changing implements and/or there's no other brand of oil that won't cause the bota  hyd system to puke.
    Our primary tractors are John Deere (3 of them), JD skidloader, one IH 756D and one Ford utility (both of those filled with JD Hyguard and like that fine). This works well and prevents cross contamination. No orange paint for me.
    As far as the trans and rear axle housings go, the Kubota are cast iron, the comparable JD model which is the 3025e, are cast aluminum, which is part of the reason the JD is 600lbs lighter than the Kubota.
    I would not be sharing implements, and being a category 1 3pt even if I had other larger tractors, they would likely be using cat 3 implements anyway.
    I have seen brake issues on the smaller BX series but can't find any brake problem evidence on the L or larger, unless people forget and leave the parking brake on.

• Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    I have a JD 2030 gas for an acreage tractor. Mostly use it for a loader tractor to move snow and spread gravel. Also haul firewood and move logs around. I did some alfalfa hay baling with it. My neighbors have Kubotas and they are much more comfortable, more reliable, and cost less to run. They are also much newer so have a lot of electronics where mine has no electronics which is good.

No lie- I knew an old farmer getting ready for his estate sale and every time he found a hunk of cast iron or unidentified part he was spraying green paint on it. That old scrap with green paint was snatched up by the JD collectors.
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭
    I've owned both for 10+ years. The Kubota has not come close to getting stuck once in all that time. But it has pulled the John Deere out of the muck several times. Nuff said.
  • Options
    chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    I have a JD 3203 and a Kubota3301. I prefer the Kubota. What would make me like the JD less is if the story I hear about JD is true. I heard that John Deere considers the computer part of the tractor their property and is just letting the JD tractor owners use it. If any repairs are to be made only John Deere dealers are to make them. 
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭
    I used to have a JD and never had any problems with it.  I now have a Kubota 2320 with manual shift with a front snowblower, plow, logging winch, brush hog and bucket  I got super great price on the Kubota because it I has a manual shift.  

Have had the Kubota for about 15 years and had no serious issues just the usually maintenance.
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    I bought the exact tractor except mine has the industrial tires instead of the ag tires. I got the backhoe and it has paid for itself. I had to bury our 17hand thoroughbred and replace all the sewer drain at our rental property and this machine was priceless doing both. The hydrostatic is awesome. I shopped around and looked at every brand out there. Kubota was the best value and quality IMO. Best of luck with yours, Don