In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why is Mexican beef different?

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
We lost a 24 hour small chain grocery store. A Sav-a-Lot moved into the building. They aggravated a lot of people right off the bat by charging for bags. I bought some thin cut ribeyes from Mexico. Didn't think much of them but thought maybe I had over cooked them. Tried some of the regular ribeye and it wasn't any better.
I'm wondering if the difference is simply grass fed vs. grain fed?
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭

Mexican steak is usually cut thin and with the grain.  Makes it a bit tougher, but usually pretty tastie around here.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Shoe leather comes to mind.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't believe I have ever had it.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    How many steaks do you get from a Messican?
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,147 ✭✭✭✭

I frequent Santa Fe used to be Mi Puebla (don't know if it's one and a same and Santa Fe name seem less Mexican-y for the honkies?) now they sell short ribs like the Koreans. Three or four bones to the slice 1/2" thick or the 2.5"ers when on sale their $4.99 or was it $5.99? Any case Lucky or Safeway sells them close to three times that and they claim "Angus" or some American "grade" that are less meaty but the Mexican stuff is closer to the Korean.  Don't know how the Mexicans cook them but like those "thin cut" meats, cook hot and fast. Figure most cuts are for tacos (read cut small to be stretched out) and not like American servings.

Now I have yet to try their "steak-um" cuts for Suki-Yaki because I haven't made Suki-Yaki in decades.

• Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭✭
    Few years ago we butchered a couple Corriente roping steers that we fed out on grass/Alfalfa hay and they were fairly lean, more wild game like than other fed out steers that we had done in the past.
    On a side note to add, a guy I work with is from Peru and brings burger from there to work, the burgers and meatloafs he makes are very lean and very tasty, I'm guessing from the all native grass diet.
    ill take grass fed over corn fed any day, for both taste and texture.
    Although, I've had a couple Kobe steaks that were pretty tasty and I don't know what constitutes it to be called Kobe beef.
    just my $.02

Mule
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    Mule, the "Kobe" they raise in Montana is more properly called Wagyu. To be Kobe, it has to be raised in Kobe Japan, and very little of that is exported. But it's from Wagyu cattle.  Montana Wagyu is a kind of crossbreed between Wagyu and Angus if I recall correctly, but it is still correctly called Wagyu. It is highly marbled and very expensive. Genuine Kobe can run upwards of $200 a pound. In a legitimate Kobe steak place like Lugar's in NYC, it'll run you about $20 a bite. Montana Wagyu can be had for as little as $50 a pound. It's really, really good stuff.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

"$20 a bite?" You have more $$ than common sense.

Kind of like buying that $12 Million 4k hp Tractor. Good luck getting in to Heaven. Eye of the Needle, thing. Good Luck to you.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I haven't ever been to Lugar's, Ken. Nor to NYC, for that matter. I did get to eat a genuine Kobe steak once in Thailand, when the price wasn't nearly that high. And I've eaten Montana Wagyu, for a lot less than $20 a bite.
    As a comparison, though, Wagyu or Kobe to a cut of Prime is like a Purdey to an H&R.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    Here is a bargain, right off the internet. I guess it all comes down to what you consider a bite, as to whether it's 20 bucks a bite or not!

"Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I have had grass-fed beef from Argentina twice; my first time and my last time. The deer around here taste better.
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭
    We had venison steaks tonight. I figure it costs me about $75-80 a pound, but who's counting!!! :D
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you know why Mexicans don't bar-b-que?
    Cause the beans keep falling thru the grill.