In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I think my microwave broke.

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,158 ✭✭✭✭

I turn the dial (yeah she's that old) pushed the start and it started and a "POP!!!" but it kept going. Not sure if my brain got nuked when I pulled the door open to stop it. My poor Tappan might be going to the scrap since I'm pretty sure there are no appliance repair shop left in this disposable world. But I'm gonna look after I find what model I got. I'm thinking #1 since I think she's made in the early '80s. She even has the browning coil that "supposedly" brown your eats. Also I hope I can take her off by myself from the top of the fridge without it toppling over and smashing my head on the fall.

Be jacked up there was one that closed their door in December of last year with all the parts they could've rebuilt her to factory spec.

Comments

• Options
    Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    Before you take it to the dump, 1 lb of tannerite in the cooking area and one shot from a .223 or greater. Then you can just throw the pieces in the garbage can, at least the ones you find. Don't ask me how I know :)
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,423 ***** Forums Admin
    Oh I understand, we have a Quasar that is stamped "Sept 1978" on the back. It is push button, and digital readout, and was one spendy unit in her day. I have owned it since 1985, and it just keeps on keeping on. It is still one of the most powerful microwaves I have been around. The day that old girl finally gives up it will be a sad day.

Wish ya luck on your antique microwave, Yoshi.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember spending almost 500 bucks in 1981 on a Amana microwave. It was a pretty good unit for its time. It is long gone but if I still had it and it needed repair, I'd junk it. For less than the cost of repairs you can get a new one. $100 will get you a unit that is more powerful and has a lot of convenient bells and whistles the old units didn't have. Be careful about power and make sure whatever circuit in your kitchen it's plugged into can handle it. Kitchen appliances ( toaster, toaster oven, food processers,etc. ) draw a lot of juice. Add a more powerful microwave and you'll be resetting breakers often. Most older microwaves were in th 800 watt range and now 1200 is common. Bob
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Just replaced with a large hamilton beach 1000 watt for 48 bucks at walmart.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    My mom still uses her Amana Radarange Touchmatic from back in the 70s that looks like this one below. It quit working one time back in the 90s and dad fixed it and it still works. 

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Think Fukashima, Yosh..................................................................

(SP?)

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,625 ✭✭✭✭
     sounds like you due for a replacement 
     ours ( just the latest I would guess we have had 4  total since the first one )  bit the dust  a couple years ago  we had a older one in the basement we had shelved for the new one  you know newer and better one well the old one was put back in service and still going 

first microwave oven I even seen was a a friend of a old GF . at  her parents house they ( GF and her friend )  were using it to warm M&M in to get the centers melted . of all things . 
      I truly had no idea or seen one before that  it was about 1975 or 76 . had no idea what they were really good for .the microwave that is 
     I knew what my GF and her buddy were good for  ;)
     skip ahead to about 1982  my wife ( no she is not the old  GF )  and I  bought one ( first one in our  families to get one ) I remember it was not inexpensive and weight a ton but  our  favorite use at the time warm up milk for the kid  we just had in the middle of the night  so we  could get back to sleep . how time fly's 
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭✭
    still running a 1983
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,421 ******
    Our first microwave bit the dust after one of my teenage sons put a potato in it. The potato was wrapped in foil!   A couple years ago our countertop microwave quit working, so I bought a new one. As I was taking the old unit out to my dumpster and passing by my workshop, I decided to try some tinkering before disposal. All I did was plug it in and have been enjoying hot coffee ever since!
  • Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Cling2my guns, except we place them out on the range at a pretty far distance and see who can open the door first.  No window damage though, then you lose points. Tannerite works afterward
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭
    Had to replace a Panasonic, this year that lasted at least 30 years. It was fixable, but analog and with analog, you cant find parts.  
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭

Not to be a Debbie downer, as I like to shoot stuff as much as anyone. Just a word of caution.

the Ceramic in the magnetron contains beryllium, which is a legit known carcinogen if particles get airborne/into your lungs.

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    I like my wall mounted M/W above the range; convenient height, & you have more counter space.  The NEC requires a dedicated line for new installations.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    Warbirds said:

Not to be a Debbie downer, as I like to shoot stuff as much as anyone. Just a word of caution.

the Ceramic in the magnetron contains beryllium, which is a legit known carcinogen if particles get airborne/into your lungs.

How long you been living in California?   :D
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭
    nmyers said:
    I like my wall mounted M/W above the range; convenient height, & you have more counter space.  The NEC requires a dedicated line for new installations.
    I've got one like that.  I'll never have another!  One problem after another with it.  The heat and vapors coming up off the stove, even with the fan on high, just aren't good for the electronics.  We're on our third warranty replacement unit (GE).  Maybe I got a bad one, but the next one is going on the counter or in a dedicated cabinet away from the heat and steam.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭

Beryllium will kill you. Not sure if people know making it airborne is how it kills you.

• Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Radiation is good for you... 
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    Does it still work Yosh?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,158 ✭✭✭✭

Okay got her working. 35 more years!!! Maybe? After watching a few "microwave repair" on youtube the first one popped up was the most helpful that as a 20 minuet view diagnosed the issue. When I got in to the microwave I was expecting something more than a toaster oven with a circuit board. Since there are only 4 bits that could be replaced it made the task easy. I took the diode, the fuse and the capacitor to the local appliance parts joint next town over. The fuse and the capacitor tested okay but the diode they couldn't test. Since the youtube video kind a pointed to it and it was only $5 I bought it. If it wasn't it the next to test was the microwave bit. Got lucky and it was the diode.   

I do need to find a belt that drives the radiation fan. It's still there but it's too loose so it popped off the pully when I put the sheet metal back. I think it's been off the pully since I think that's the reason why things don't warm/cook evenly.

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    You can make ramon on a stove top anyway.  Just get you an old hot plate.