In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone Else Not Sleeping?

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Went to bed too early last night. 8:30ish PM. Took a 10mg. Melatonin and a dose of 50mg. Dyphenydramine. Woke up as usual after about 4-5 hours. 12:30. Finally got out of bed around 2:30 ish.

Debilitating.

Comments

• Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    need one of those youngish blonde/brunette/redhead sleeping pills......used to work GOOD
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    Four or five hours straight? You lucky booger. I also take melatonin and do the other stuff that's supposed to help sleep. Ha.
    Last night was typical. Turned out the lights at 9 and fell asleep within minutes. Awoke at 10:30, 12, 1:45, 2:30, 4:15, and then at 6. Weird dreams each time. My VA doc says it's a kind of insomnia. All I know is that I'm usually tired, quite often fall asleep mid-afternoon for an hour, and am gone by about 9 pm. For another round of dream and wake.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    when I worked midnights I used to get off at 7am saturday morning after workning all night, usually got up to get ready for work 9pm. I would stay up till 9 or so that night close 24 hours, when did go to bed slept like baby, you may try to force yourself to stay up one day to see if it will help..
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    I'm lucky to get more than two hours uninterrupted sleep, and rarely more than 5 to 6 hours all put together before my back and neck pain drives me to my feet. I agree that being sleep deprived is not fun, but the body, and mind learns to compensate as best it can with time. There is no magical solution for me.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't sleep good either.  My brain doesn't shut down.  I have vivid dreams and sleep in 30-45 min "bursts".  I have tried different things but none seem to work except getting drunk or taking serious sleeping pills.  Neither is an option I want to use but I do sleep about 2 1/2 hrs straight if I have a few belts before bed time.

I don't snore and I don't have sleep apnea but I have difficulty breathing through my nose.
    RLTW

• Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    RR.....sounds like REM sleep....in 3D color, sound, crazy chit that makes no sense..real hard to pull out of it...wake up tired  .....stupid
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    Yup. That describes it.
    I also don't snore or have apnea. Bed and pillow are very comfortable (Sleep Number with adjustable frame). No reason I shouldn't sleep well. But I don't. Once or twice a month, it'll catch up with me and I'll crash for an entire night of dreamless uninterrupted bliss. Not nearly often enough.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

I also have very vivid dreams, every single night. I can not get my mind to shut down. A bad Mytral valve, (heart surgery in 2005) coupled with a bad case of Sleep apnea, and a badly deviated septum, (nose does not work) is cumulative, a bad combination.

Going to see the VA for a possible Rotor Rooter job on my sinuses. Keeps me Claustraphobic. I think that will help.

You Guys need to post more. When I wake up at 12:30-1:30 am, I need something to purview. Forum is pretty slow at that point. You Guy's need to step it up.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Not worth a crap. Melatonin don't do nothing for me, and the one prescription pill the quack gave me doesn't work either. There is one over the counter one that works okay, but I wake up so groggy it's not hardly worth it....
  • Options

Been trying for a prescription of Ambien.

You would think I am asking for Crack. I believe they are afraid I will go to sleep, and never wake up.

I will again ask for it, and describe my situation at the VA, when I go in, the next couple weeks. (In addition to the consultation on the nose work.)

• Options

Although, I hate to hear others are going through this. I am heartened by the fact that I am not alone in this debilitating endeavor. I wish you all good sleep. I can only wish.

• Options
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    When I sleep I am usually good for 6-7 hours. It's the falling asleep that I have a problem with. Sometimes I lay awake for hours.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    No issues here. Good for usually 8 hours
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,672 ******
    I empathize with you guys, it must be very disconcerting. I would be and have been a bear when I couldn’t sleep. 
    As far as waking during the night, turn your clock around so you don’t stress over what time it is. 
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,686 ✭✭✭✭
    I have found that the only thing that helps me sleep when I'm going through a spell of not sleeping is physical work.     Its something about working hard that makes bedtime so much easier.    Sitting around all day on the computer, watching TV and not doing any moving around does a real number on me when it comes to sleeping.    Sometimes I just pick some yard work that needs done, wash and wax the car....anything to get moving around some.    
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,686 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd try all you can not to get Ambien....not because its bad for you, but its very habit forming.    You will NOT get to sleep without it once you need it.    
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

Most nights I don’t sleep from 9pm to 8am.........

• Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    Went to bed at 1 PM yesterday after being up for 28 hrs. Slept till 8 PM and got up for dinner an do some chores. Will be turning in soon and going to work later this morning. I'm not having much trouble sleeping,  when the opportunity arises.  Just doesn't very often.
    Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭
    I used to have a hard time sleeping until I had my nose and sinuses roto-rootered and the passages re-built.  Now I'm usually in bed about 8:30, go to sleep within minutes, and am up at 4-4:30 with no alarm.   Get that schnoz cleaned out, Ken!  I think it will help you immensely!
  • Options

Thanks Neo. I think that is key, and the first thing I plan to pursue at the VA.