In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Got a wild boar

drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice!

Is that in FL?
    RLTW

• Options

Yes sir. Guide is cutting them up right now

• Options
    Awesome, what rifle is that and caliber?
    RLTW

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭

Nice- you need to put me in touch with that guide! I would love to do something like that!

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    Even 35 years ago, they were vermin in Florida. No limit, no license, no season. Any "deer" gun or cartridge is fine unless you hit a big old boar in the shoulder, where they have an armored plate of gristle that can and does stop some lesser bullets.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    You use dogs or was it stand hunting?
    RLTW

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭
    Where in Florida was your hunt?
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

That size Hog, I would imagine, will be good eating.

I am glad your hunt was successful.

Very nice.

• Options
    edited January 2020

Borrowed my nephew in law Pete's 308 weatherby got mine at about 25 yards heart lung shot. Guide had 2 Jack Russell terriers.

Pete's son Jake got his with a 300 black at 5 to 10 yards.

Pete got his execution style using a 45acp Taurus pistol. 1 on the dogs pinned the hog. Good times.

• Options

We used Clay Gully Outfitters in Larida FL. Were on a 6000 acre cattle ranch.

Hunted from a Polaris ranger. Our guide would stop a listen for his dogs barking and we'd hop out and shoot.

Got all 3 in 2.5 hours. $200 a hog plus tip $50 each. This was Pete and Jake's 5th hog hunt.

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    Three little pigs.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BuckeyemikeBuckeyemike Member Posts: 4

Nice. I belong to a 3000 acre hunting lease in central Georgia. We kill over 100 a year off of the place. We've got 4 miles of frontage on a major river with cypress sloughs. Those are perfect eating size

• Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    OK : 
    BACON   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, I go on hog hunts 2 or 3 times a year. Always fun and great meat for the freezer.

• Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    Thats great.  I would like to do that some time.
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭
    I see some almost everyday. Shoot them when I can. Don
  • Options

I think you misspelled the name of the town that the outfitters in. He is out of Lorida Florida.

Glad you were able to go hunting and was successful.

https://claygullyoutfitters.com/

• Options
    edited January 2020
    gjshaw said:

I think you misspelled the name of the town that the outfitters in. He is out of Lorida Florida.

Glad you were able to go hunting and was successful.

https://claygullyoutfitters.com/

Yes Sir Lorida is correct.
    Our Guide's name was Tyler 239-98o-3217. Younger guy - 28 or so. Graduated HS in 2010, became an Army MP, and went straight to Iraq in 2010/11. If booking a hunt call him directly w/ the above # vs calling the outfitter. Feel free to say Dan Robinson and Pete Calleia gave you his contact info.

Talking with Pete - normal price is $250 per hog. We got a discount because Pete called another outfitter that went out of the hunting business. That guy referred us to Clay Gully.

We had scoped rifles (2 AR's - 223 & 300blk and the 308 Weatherby) I think a red dot would've been easier. Shots were up close. I had to turn the power way down on the scope I was using. Dogs are the way to go. Jake and my pigs, ran bit after being shot. The 2 small feisty terriers stayed right with the hogs.

Tyler skinned an quartered all 3 hogs + cut out the backstraps. Could've easily had a neck - shoulder wall mount made if the Tusks were longer.
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Pete has wild game processor that is going to make sausage out of the hog meat for us. We grabbed the back straps (pork tenderloin) and plan to grill those in the next couple of days. I'll probably ship my sausage home as shipping may be cheaper than checking another bag ($50) on Allegiant Airlines.

Couple more pics. Pete's hog:
    Jake taking aim with the guide Tyler to his left:
    Jake's Hog:

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Pete told me the story how 4 years ago his son Jake (who is now 16), asked him to take him hunting.
    Pete grew up in the Chicago area, got his CCW right after moving to Florida but hadn't done much hunting growing up. Pete said hell yeah - bought some rifles, took Jake to the range, and learned everything he could quickly. They went on their first guided hog hunt 4 years ago through another outfitter. Jake got a 2 fer on his 1st hunt using the AR15 with FMJ 223. The round went straight through the hog and killed a piglet.

I had a similar experience as Pete. A family friend Ron, taught me to hunt and shoot when I was 12. On my 1st ever hunt at age 13 or 14, I shot a Dove and a Rabbit. Went again with Ron when I was 16 and got a couple Squirrels.

I didn't hunt again until I was 22. My roommate who is/was my best friend growing up and I decided, we're going go hunting. We found a place in Illinois to hunt Pheasants. We had our a home defense cylinder bore shotguns. We didn't get anything that day but had a good time. I went back a couple more times with a choked shotgun and got a Pheasant each time.

Pete mentioned that he likes making good memories for his Sons. 20 years from now they can talk about riding in Dad's lifted diesel Chevy 4x4 pickup and going Hog hunting. He'd love to find some land in the area or even 2-3 hours away but isn't hopeful. 25 acres near where we hunted is going for $850,000!!! His other son Zack is 12 and still hasn't hunted yet. Pete plans to get him to the range and hunt as soon as he wants to.
  • Options
    I chatted with our Guide Tyler. He went to Ft. Leonard Wood for Army Basic and AIT right after High School in 2010. Soon as he Graduated they sent him to Iraq - Sadr City. He worked some with Army EOD. The EOD vehicle he was riding in got hit by an IED. The front outriggers missed it and it blew up under the vehicle. He was Active Duty Army till 2017, wanted to re-up / continue being active, but was told he couldn't because of his injuries.  His choice was to go into the reserves or get out.

He got out and became a Deputy Sheriff making $26k a year. His Aunt is one of the owners of the ranch. A friend / mentor that worked at the Outfitter called him up and asked him to Guide part time. Tyler quickly learned that he could make enough $ to survive / thrive by being a hunting guide vs. being an Deputy and is doing this full time. He's still a Reserve Deputy.

If you plan to hog hunt give him a call.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Hey @drobs I will be in Clearwater Tuesday - Thursday on business travel if we can hook up.

Wednesday night I will shoot USPSA in Ruskin FL at a little range called Gun Craft. We could probably ride down together if you want to shoot the match. It STARTs promptly @5:00pm and wraps up by 8:00.

Thursday night I have to head home as I am RO’ing Friday morning GSSF match in Volusia county.

if any of it works- great. Hit me up!

• Options
    Warbirds said:

Hey @drobs I will be in Clearwater Tuesday - Thursday on business travel if we can hook up.

Wednesday night I will shoot USPSA in Ruskin FL at a little range called Gun Craft. We could probably ride down together if you want to shoot the match. It STARTs promptly @5:00pm and wraps up by 8:00.

Thursday night I have to head home as I am RO’ing Friday morning GSSF match in Volusia county.

if any of it works- great. Hit me up!

Shot you my Phone number through the instant message system here.
    Mr. Christian and I are going to try to meet for Breakfast tomorrow. Not sure on Wednesday night - figure we need to spend one more evening with Brad's family before flying back.
  • Options

“Tyler skinned an quartered all 3 hogs + cut out the backstraps. Could've easily had a neck - shoulder wall mount made if the Tusks were longer.”

I found one that had good cutters and had it mounted.

• Options
    My niece took this one in central Florida with a bow a couple of years ago.

• Options
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Oh come on Ken, it's just a dead hog.  :)

• Options
    Biscuits and Wild Boar Sausage Gravy for breakfast this morning. Mmm Mmm Good!

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin
  • Options

My lips are smakin' my head to death right about now. Looks pretty freakin' good. Mmnnn.........

Mmnnn......................

Nothing better than bisquits and gravy, if there is some actual meat in there. Your ratio seems very good in that aspect.